First Test of the CB500X

XTreme

Now bear in mind I'm no journo like Mawsley, and I have zero mechanical knowledge.....so all I can go on is how I felt on it.

First off, just because it's only 500CC it's quite capable of picking up a bit of pace when you get the revs up. If anybody gets left behind on one of these under normal riding environments it ain't down to the bike. There's no power band, the power delivery is very linear......and it pulls well even from a standing start. It's physically small, and feels lighter than the 650GS even though it's a couple of kgs heavier.

Like @Tango said, I'm not too convinced with these Dunlop tyres. They seem a bit vague to me and the turn in seems to be slow. They'll be replaced with Tourance when their time's up. Brakes are decent enough, suspension is fine, and it's very comfortable. Perfect fit for me really.

Now the engine......it's fucking brilliant. I've never known such a smooth and quiet engine.....it just sort of burbles away and I never encountered any vibration. And the clutch and gearbox is even better! Apparently it's got a slipper clutch and there's literally no effort needed on the clutch lever. You don't even feel any jerk or loss of momentum as you switch between gears either. It's incredible.

But it ain't for everybody! If you're used to big bikes with a lot of grunt then this is not for you. For the riding I do, and the roads I ride on it's perfect. And I also did a few miles at 120kph and it was showing around 5750 revs. It was no struggle, and I've no doubt that it could maintain it all day. No vibration and no buffeting from the screen either.

Apparently they're amazing on fuel as well.....but I'll find that out as time goes on.

To sum up, and as you can probably tell.....I think this bike is superb. It's far exceeded my expectations. By a very long way!

Here's a short vid and a couple of pics in a few different riding environments!

1-min.jpg.895ef7d955ce10a36a29e31c6cdcd72e.jpg

2-min.jpg.a47dd1c0f88923ef6945b17bccefa749.jpg

3-min.jpg.de1cf67f0d10a4fe7b86cb8e68ecf18b.jpg

4-min.jpg.7138fb28613839970300eabe1a4ae694.jpg

• Like 10

Yeah, I reckon that once it's got some decent tyres on it the handling will be transformed.......you may be waiting a while though, I bet the current tyres will easily see out 20k kms!

The gearbox and clutch are definitely very good. I found the seat a bit hard after a bit over an hours riding. 

I reckon that if they brought out a version with 65bhp and a bit more torque they'd sell them by the lorry load!

But I think that the stock bike represents exceptional value for money.

As to the fuel consumption, mine averaged around 90mpg!

There's less to go wrong on it than the Beemer, it's newer and it's a Honda! You'll get bored with it before it's ever likely to breakdown! 😉😂😂😂😂

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tango said:

Yeah, I reckon that once it's got some decent tyres on it the handling will be transformed.......you may be waiting a while though, I bet the current tyres will easily see out 20k kms!

The gearbox and clutch are definitely very good. I found the seat a bit hard after a bit over an hours riding. 

I reckon that if they brought out a version with 65bhp and a bit more torque they'd sell them by the lorry load!

There's less to go wrong on it than the Beemer, it's newer and it's a Honda! You'll get bored with it before it's ever likely to breakdown! 😉😂😂😂😂

Pete get bored and chop in a perfectly good bike? Thats never gonna happen.

Issa Rae Lol GIF by Golden Globes

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Tango said:

The front will need replacing first.....I'd say about 3k kms. Though I might change it before that time to improve the way the front end turns in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The front will need replacing first.....I'd say about 3k kms. Though I might change it before that time to improve the way the front end turns in.

The slow front end turn in is what first struck me when I got mine. Yes, it's got a bigger front wheel, but the short wheelbase and normal fork rake angle should have compensated for that more I thought.

• Like 1

Just now, Tango said:

The slow front end turn in is what first struck me when I got mine. Yes, it's got a bigger front wheel, but the short wheelbase and normal fork rake angle should have compensated for that more I thought.

I prefer the 19" wheel but I think the tyres are the issue here.

I think Tourances will transform it......they're harder and have a higher profile.

• Like 1

It does look like a tiny GS

image.thumb.jpeg.c134889a9d60ae3b86114dc2e6a4d2e5.jpeg

I like how they look, and suposedly they’re very balanced and handle amazingly for keeping momentum up midcorner, just as you like!

Nice tires and you’re golden, until you’re bored of how tiny it is.

The Topbox will look like a TOPBOX on that bike

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ooh all this bike talk, its like a bike forum or summink

Will Smith Applause GIF

You should look into one, they’re good on gravel

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The wife reckons the screen has an evil face that keeps looking at her from across the garage! :classic_unsure:

vce-min.jpg.19c19f8a08e84604892cd41e12468a14.jpg

Yep, it’s a fuck off to her, getting that tiny bike witha Honda rear suspension instead of a comfy newer GS

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh dear I can't unsee that now 😆

I didn’t see it until your post made me look again!

Pete!!!!  You bought a haunted bike!!!!!!

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I prefer the 19" wheel but I think the tyres are the issue here.

I think Tourances will transform it......they're harder and have a higher profile.

You’re talking yourself into a new set of tyres mate, don’t bother until the current ones are fucked. Just get on it and ride it. It’s all in your head. 🤣🤣👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

You’re talking yourself into a new set of tyres mate, don’t bother until the current ones are fucked. Just get on it and ride it. It’s all in your head. 🤣🤣👍

Don’t fret, he’ll change frames and engine and bodywork before changing tires

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Buckster said:

This bike basically tells every dago midget that your arse is open for business.

More than your Gay Harley would?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

The wife reckons the screen has an evil face that keeps looking at her from across the garage! :classic_unsure:

vce-min.jpg.19c19f8a08e84604892cd41e12468a14.jpg

A couple of red LEDs in the vent holes should do the trick! 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

More than your Gay Harley would?

The words “gay” and “Honda” are basically the same word.

• Haha 3