Going to try out a new bike on a testride

Pedro

I'm pondering buying another bike in a year or so, according to whatever goes on with the GS. While I was having a glass of wine before dinner I saw something on instagram, followed a link, and asked for a slot for a testride.

Now, following Pete's trend on shit threads, what will it be? Hints, it's not any BMW but it's from a manufacturer I like with a dealership in Porto.

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

I'm pondering buying another bike in a year or so, according to whatever goes on with the GS. While I was having a glass of wine before dinner I saw something on instagram, followed a link, and asked for a slot for a testride.

Now, following Pete's trend on shit threads, what will it be? Hints, it's not any BMW but it's from a manufacturer I like with a dealership in Porto.

Some version of a Tiger!

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Some version of a Tiger!

There's only one Tiger I'd like and it's a 1200 rally, but something about them don't inspire me at all. I don't think that style of bike should be more than 2 cylinders, and the fact they are making the engines lumpy just to fake a different architecture is something I dislike. I also don't really like their dealerships and service in Portugal. Any small part can become a problem, and brexit isn't helping.

So, no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tym said:

Tong Tong Golden Dragon Special 1650cc adventure touring edition...  🙃

1650 in chinese horsepower means competitor to the Honda CB500X, which is a fine bike, but no.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

There's only one Tiger I'd like and it's a 1200 rally, but something about them don't inspire me at all. I don't think that style of bike should be more than 2 cylinders, and the fact they are making the engines lumpy just to fake a different architecture is something I dislike. I also don't really like their dealerships and service in Portugal. Any small part can become a problem, and brexit isn't helping.

So, no.

Some POS Ducati then!

10 hours ago, Buckster said:

Pegaso.

No, rode one already.

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

Yamaha 700 or a Honda Africa Twin.

The yamaha doesn't captivate me at all, for some reason. The Africa Twin does, but it's not it.

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

Ktm

Nope

30 minutes ago, Marcel said:

A harley... Pan cake American? 

:littleguy:

Just now, yen_powell said:

What are the chances of it pouring oil all over the garage floor, maybe we can narrow the manufacturer down?

My best guess is its a Harley at this point. 🤪

1 minute ago, yen_powell said:

What are the chances of it pouring oil all over the garage floor, maybe we can narrow the manufacturer down?

I'm not bringing in the garage, so none :classic_laugh:

After having a sit on the Ducatis, and the KTM, and the T700, they're just not a bike I'd get on and ride on a trip instead of my current GS except to keep miles of the GS.

I'm curious about the Harley, it's a brand I like and must be a really strong engine, it's chain drive though, and ugly as all hell. But I'm curious to see how good it is. Can't imagine it's better than my bike in anything except having more power, though.

Chain drive is amazing they go 20k miles now. Dirt cheap to fix compared to a shaft and dont introduce odd torquing forces that requre German engineeers to fuck up and "fix". 

🤪

I will be interested to see what the second generation is like, the first misses the mark on  few details. Placement of the battery is a hard no for me on an adventure bike and centre stand operation is flawed. The area behind the front wheel seems very messy to me on looks but it general it looks like a great bike.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tym said:

Chain drive is amazing they go 20k miles now. Dirt cheap to fix compared to a shaft and dont introduce odd torquing forces that requre German engineeers to fuck up and "fix". 

🤪

Not to say I won't have one again, but I dislike them compared to a shaft drive. The cleaning, the spraying and then having shit flinging all over the place, carrying the lube when out on long rides, etc.

Of course when a shaft drive fails it really ends a trip, but nothing is perfect.

49 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

CF Moto 800 gt

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Yes, I like Harleys. Really do, but I don't think I'd enjoy riding a proper one on the kind of roads I like touring on. Even compared to my bike they're so massive.

The thing with a GS is that because of the front suspension and the way it copes with forces, they can use a very aggressive trail angle without having instability like what would happen with the same angle on a conventional fork. This means that you can have what looks like a big bike but with a very short distance between axles and an agile behaviour without being unstable and too aggressive. Looking at big Harleys they just look too big and long for me to enjoy riding over tiny roads.

• Like 1