Morning short ride: storks, hayabusas, and progress

Pedro

Had an errand to run in the morning and today is a holiday in Portugal so very little to do in the morning, left early taking advantage of the morning coolness. Went to Santarem, which is one of the hottest cities in Portugal,  lovely garden for a short walk before coming back home, testing how it felt to be around as I felt a little weak a few days ago. 

Great views over the Tejo and one of Portugal's biggest farm region. The Tejo is looking really sad.

IMG_6150.thumb.jpeg.6737f935afeae9ed49a10c8c54be662a.jpeg

IMG_6151.thumb.jpeg.11f83c4ac4d72d714db401e39874f1a1.jpeg

IMG_6152.thumb.jpeg.08fa763f4e0d3a1bfbf054b3927f0c7e.jpeg

Storks used to be a migratory bird, when summer arrived they'd settle back to their nests left empty from the previous year. They're starting to stick around year round now. Summer, big heat arriving and the nests have 3 or 4 occupancy instead of 1 or 2, baby storks are so cute. I stopped at two places to see if you can get how many they are

IMG_6154.thumb.jpeg.ea3f5beb6037914e28a84734c2ea92df.jpeg

IMG_6155.thumb.jpeg.6a5f2fcb251a9417233e3b59e72661ef.jpeg

IMG_6156.thumb.jpeg.6593d8d8df496eea1f0042840db3da22.jpeg

IMG_6157.thumb.jpeg.8c74fc4e179015db798eaa4b6a62b0fb.jpeg

IMG_6159.thumb.jpeg.9f174abd4b3e6491716ec3c923b24f02.jpeg

IMG_6160.thumb.jpeg.62f2444d32f7fe9d0ebe927a1808c050.jpeg

IMG_6161.thumb.jpeg.1a66cee908608f487812d5b2617781f3.jpeg

IMG_6162.thumb.jpeg.a12adc89b76a602f8d2f4136aa04f79d.jpeg

Stopped by the Dainese place, and the Hayabusa club was meeting there for a ride, such cool bikes! I'd love one, but honestly don't know what to do with such a fast bike except lose my license.

IMG_6163.thumb.jpeg.f388e0dd51b8e27c35e23762aa77055b.jpeg

Last 10 or so km before home were going to be on a nice and fast dirt road, but progress creeped up, my lovely dusty dirt road turned into lovely black tarmac.

Used to look like this:

IMG_7548.thumb.jpeg.722b65b84bf1930b3f3308e80452531b.jpeg

Now it looks like this:

IMG_6165.thumb.jpeg.e069b444b20adb861d3122ff41362793.jpeg

IMG_6164.thumb.jpeg.1102258a9d7ddaf9a749ed440c88c1d0.jpeg

Surely the people who use that to go home much prefer it like this, specially over winter, but today it spoiled my fun :classic_laugh:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Nice shots.......and a beautiful area as well Pedro.

Thanks! Even though I'm not from here and don't have many friends around, it now feels like home.

When it gets clearly over 30º my coastal blood shows, though, and it's a bit too much for me, it feels unreal at over 40º :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Thanks! Even though I'm not from here and don't have many friends around, it now feels like home.

When it gets clearly over 30º my coastal blood shows, though, and it's a bit too much for me, it feels unreal at over 40º :classic_laugh:

I've got the bike that could get me over your way now......well I will, when I've had more new shit put in it!

You never know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've got the bike that could get me over your way now......well I will, when I've had more new shit put in it!

You never know!

I would recommend winter or autumn, though, if it's nice it's perfect motorcycling weather. Summer can be amazing, but a bit harsh. Spring will drive you insane from the hay fever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I would recommend winter or autumn, though, if it's nice it's perfect motorcycling weather. Summer can be amazing, but a bit harsh. Spring will drive you insane from the hay fever.

Yes.....Autumn would be the preferred time!

18 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Lovely Pedro, especially the storks.  Storks are not really something that we see here.  Why is the Tejo so low ?

Because this part of the world is going through a drought, and instead of helping keeping ecosystems balanced, the Spanish management of water flow ing out of Spain is done by a bunch of greedy gillipollas, or twats.

You see the same thing in the Douro although not so clear on the pictures because the river is less wide, on the ride report I did a few weeks ago with Sofia. Our two most important rivers are basically being held hostage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Storks are not really something that we see here.

They make a very cool sound when they're in the nest, like a clanking of their beaks.

Used to be a feature of the south only, but they're establishing a strong presence everywhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Because this part of the world is going through a drought, and instead of helping keeping ecosystems balanced, the Spanish management of water flow ing out of Spain is done by a bunch of greedy gillipollas, or twats.

You see the same thing in the Douro although not so clear on the pictures because the river is less wide, on the ride report I did a few weeks ago with Sofia. Our two most important rivers are basically being held hostage.

Isn’t that what Ukraine did to crimea after putin pinched it.

56 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Isn’t that what Ukraine did to crimea after putin pinched it.

I don’t know. 

There’s quite a bit of History between Portugal and Spain though, one of the oldest in Europe. @Sofiais the one to talk to as she knows everything there is to know about our History and kings. It might have something to do with our side of the border always being the prettiest from what I’ve seen, or them being simply water hoarding twats, who knows?

We’re just cooler and I think they resent it…

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, XTreme said:

You never know!

i would'nt risk going to the local shops on that donkey.

• Haha 3

On 10/06/2022 at 15:59, XTreme said:

You never know!

Just the incentive @Pedro needs to get back to Morocco whats the bets its the same time you show up in Portugal :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Just the incentive @Pedro needs to get back to Morocco whats the bets its the same time you show up in Portugal :classic_laugh:

Actually, I do plan on going either end of September or start of October :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2