Too Much Tech?

Tango

What do you think about the level of technology that is on a lot of modern bikes? Good or bad?

I watched a video a day or two ago and a guy was complaining about the TFT screen failure on his Tiger 900. The bike was under warranty, otherwise it would have cost him best part of £1000!

Anyway, what do you think? Back to basics or throw as much tech as possible on?

3 minutes ago, Tango said:

What do you think about the level of technology that is on a lot of modern bikes? Good or bad?

I watched a video a day or two ago and a guy was complaining about the TFT screen failure on his Tiger 900. The bike was under warranty, otherwise it would have cost him best part of £1000!

yep too much tech on modern bikes all this launch control and all that crap

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skyrider said:

that goes for any vehicle really

Well, anything. Our washing machine has got all sorts of functions, most of which we'll probably never use!

• Like 1

For me riding a bike is to get away from it all i like the fact there's no distractions although i do find the maps essential for my type of riding. I'm all for technological advances when it comes to the bike itself things like fuel injection but ABS and traction control on a bike with less than 100 horses i could do without. I've stopped going on the CRF1000 Facebook page because since they brought out the 1100 all i see is how do i connect my phone to my bike questions and apparently i don't know just ride the fucking thing isn't the correct answer

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

For me riding a bike is to get away from it all i like the fact there's no distractions although i do find the maps essential for my type of riding. I'm all for technological advances when it comes to the bike itself things like fuel injection but ABS and traction control on a bike with less than 100 horses i could do without. I've stopped going on the CRF1000 Facebook page because since they brought out the 1100 all i see is how do i connect my phone to my bike questions and apparently i don't know just ride the fucking thing isn't the correct answer

no that wouldnt suit

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I agree about fuel injection........never thought I'd say that!

I do like ABS on the bike, but then the downside is needing a dealer tool in order to bleed the brakes on some bikes! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I hate all this tech......and yes, I know that sounds strange coming from somebody who's been in IT for over 30 years!

But I feel that all this stuff has it's place and it's not on a bike!

And I don't want to use a mobile app to get the washing machine or pellet burner to work either. I'll stick to pressing the fucking button.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Since most people dont ride much more people should just lease a motorcycle, give it back when the lease is up,

owning a modern vehicle out of warranty isnt financially a smart thing to do anymore.

😃

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tango said:

Seeing as I ride a Royal Enfield Himalayan and a 1998 carb’d CBR600F3 I think that’s all I need say about that. 🤣👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, XTreme said:

I hate all this tech......and yes, I know that sounds strange coming from somebody who's been in IT for over 30 years!

But I feel that all this stuff has it's place and it's not on a bike!

And I don't want to use a mobile app to get the washing machine or pellet burner to work either. I'll stick to pressing the fucking button.

I’m surprised you bother with a pellet burner, as a Taffy I thought you’d be more likely to go down the local pit and dig out some coal. 🤣

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I’m surprised you bother with a pellet burner, as a Taffy I thought you’d be more likely to go down the local pit and dig out some coal. 🤣

Oh yes.....at the well known Andalucian Pits! 

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 5

I want ABS on a road bike that is touring oriented, and heated grips. Those are mandatory as far as I’m concerned, stuff like injection is not even a choice, it’s like an electrical start by now. Electrical plugs are also needed and I don’t even think they’re adding complication. 

Electronic options like engine management modes or traction control don’t really complicate anything other than adding a button, all the hardware for them to work is already there and just missing the coding. I don’t value tft screens and riding modes, and bought my bike with non electronic suspension to keep it simpler. Wouldn’t want a tft screen per se, but wouldn’t not buy a bike just for having them.

• Like 3