Christmas recce ride

Sir Fallsalot

Done some more confidence building with the dog today, there's a TRF Christmas big bike ride coming up so wanted to check out a few of the lanes to see if they would be suitable after the storms we've had and there was a few i haven't ridden i'd wanted to check out as well
It was a cold ride on the road to Llandovery went down to 2°c going over the top from Ystradfellte it's a good job i decided to wear the heated jacket and fit the muffs (thanks for the reminder @MooN) the salted roads were quite slippery with the new C02 on the rear as the salt seems to keep the roads wet so tried to use the non salted ones their usually the more scenic anyway

IMG_3136.thumb.JPG.85cfa25d1d8bce0c823459af8692961d.JPG

First lane was just outside Defynnog never ridden it before it wasn't very long started back in the trees and ended where i'm standing, i was ridding it up hill looked easy until i got on it as it was very soft

IMG_3137.thumb.JPG.b88adf2f56c0a12f6b1bfd109bda8d38.JPG

And was glad of the new tyre here as i had to stop to open a gate and pull of again on a soft steep hill as usual the photo makes it look flat

IMG_3138.thumb.JPG.fc8c473febfb8fca4450daea959d5bef.JPG

Next one was via some nice country roads over to llangadog this was another i haven't ridden and wasn't going to as it was blocked with cut logs and left to get grown over 

IMG_3139.thumb.JPG.92dfde9f88fa09db8e12aa99d240010c.JPG

I waked down it a bit and looked to be a good one i shall have to return on the smaller bike to check it out

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.0fac68d39d734bccca5d844e6c1ae152.JPG

Next is a lane up by Llandovery i like to do it once every year or two as i don't think its legal and don't want to piss anyone off over riding it but the recent winds had blocked this one for me

IMG_3141.thumb.JPG.cdf82f20a2c8fe478b41e7acb9352b0b.JPG

Getting a bit cheesed off i decided to move onto one i hadn't intended to ride as it was close by water wasn't as deep as the last time i crossed it but the ride in and climb to the end of the lane was just as slippery

IMG_3142.thumb.JPG.441f2ba00bd0314f1229322451f275ef.JPG

Now i was onto the lanes i was here to check out for the big bike ride just north of Llandovery

First one big bike friendly check

IMG_3143.thumb.JPG.dee1bf5a4dba9eda193d081d41c938c9.JPG

Second big bike friendly check

IMG_3144.thumb.JPG.b2b1f97331920bb21c23deb128e28ee3.JPG

Third one big bike friendly check

IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.7775d07f3bf589ede8d71b00720965c2.JPG

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.b85ba784aad78dcb21d223bfe483ef78.JPG

Getting a little more difficult for the bigger bikes 

IMG_3147.thumb.JPG.2fc1de75f88e8154c95872a984d5f3bb.JPG

Ahh fuck em they'll be ok :classic_laugh:

IMG_3148.thumb.JPG.bd8432c67d6358dd26d7083864586076.JPG

IMG_3149.thumb.JPG.02459c979103d19ab98d7d62ff505579.JPG

Forth lane looks ok to me as well 😉

IMG_3150.thumb.JPG.89bde7199f61a69756694b8291ff6a41.JPG

Number five looks ok as well :littleguy:

IMG_3151.thumb.JPG.08aed403a67bd79879eb4de89015d462.JPG

IMG_3153.thumb.JPG.813e5ff7484519be6a22e5e79aee6805.JPG

From here i done two fords near Llangammarch wells and decided to head home as time was getting on. the Christmas ride from here will be going over an ancient route called druids way which runs through the MOD training area i couldn't ride it today as it is only open during Christmas and new year apparently. I just took the main roads home with heated grips and jacket on as they were needed on the open road. The bike run faultlessly with no hiccup like it did first time out. Feeling a bit chilled to the bone on the legs been home about 5 hours and still haven't warmed up. 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That bike always looks so cool! 2ºC on muddy trails and water crossings doesn't sound nice, though.

What do you mean when you refer to "big bikes", exactly? 

Anything from my size bike up to a GS1250 but got a feeling most of them will be the T700

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Anything from my size bike up to a GS1250 but got a feeling most of them will be the T700

a big GS needs proper tires to deal with that and still feel like it's going somewhere uphill.

• Like 2

Just now, XTreme said:

Great stuff Fred!

How many bikes are going on that run over Xmas then?

The big bike ride hasn't been advertised yet so don't know how many will sign up for that yet, There's a small bike ride on the 29th and i think there are about 30 going but split into 3 groups that will be a different route but still riding druids way

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The big bike ride hasn't been advertised yet so don't know how many will sign up for that yet, There's a small bike ride on the 29th and i think there are about 30 going but split into 3 groups that will be a different route but still riding druids way

I see, to really dig the ground up and make it extra soft for the big bikes 

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

• Haha 3

Nice one Fred, I reckon it's about 15 years since I last rode he Druid's way.  From what I can remember it was a mix of some gravel and some boggy soft stuff.

Looking forward to the photos and chuffed for you that the Dog is running ok  👍

I've told my mates that I won't be doing the Dragon Rally this year, I think I might be pushing luck if I do.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Nice one Fred, I reckon it's about 15 years since I last rode he Druid's way.  From what I can remember it was a mix of some gravel and some boggy soft stuff.

Looking forward to the photos and chuffed for you that the Dog is running ok  👍

I've told my mates that I won't be doing the Dragon Rally this year, I think I might be pushing luck if I do.

I think your making the right decision. I'm not sure if i'm doing the dragon might spend two nights at the Bruce pollard instead if it still goes ahead i find it a nicer evening and its in a pub :classic_laugh:

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I just looked on the TRF page and there's 74 signed up for the small bike ride glad i'm not going 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I just looked on the TRF page and there's 74 signed up for the small bike ride glad i'm not going 

74?! 😬

Great pics, its hard to believe the difference in gradient from one photo to the other, one looks very gentle the other quite steep!

• Like 3

For a brief time in my life I thought I wanted to do this sort of riding....:littleguy:

.....I have now come to my senses and prefer to just watch others.....lol

Great pics, beautiful landscape to ride through no doubt....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Ahh fuck looks like i am going the big bike ride is on the same day 😬

isn't hat going to make for a shed load of bikes in the same lanes on the same day?  Is that wise? 

oh, wait a minute... looking at thise pics and the time of year, "wise" is possibly not part of your vocabulary... :rofl:

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, MooN said:

isn't hat going to make for a shed load of bikes in the same lanes on the same day?  Is that wise? 

oh, wait a minute... looking at thise pics and the time of year, "wise" is possibly not part of your vocabulary... :rofl:

episode 15 GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MooN said:

Yes that's whats worrying me but there are 7 groups all setting off at different times and directions with slightly different routes depending on capabilities that's why i'm in the big bike group because its almost a totally different route to the rest 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I think your making the right decision. I'm not sure if i'm doing the dragon might spend two nights at the Bruce pollard instead if it still goes ahead i find it a nicer evening and its in a pub :classic_laugh:

no i wouldn't do it either it wouldn't do my arthritis any good at all

• Like 3