Best All Rounder?

XTreme

10 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Alternatively......................

Better offroad for sure, but if you throw in doing a distance or with a pillion then it loses out to the GS.

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Better offroad for sure, but if you throw in doing a distance or with a pillion then it loses out to the GS.

Agree with the pillion thing (not that I've ever got one) but disagree on the distance.  I've done France , Italy, Switzerland, Spain on mine and the only place the BMW will beat the Suzuki is on fuel consumption imo.

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

Agree with the pillion thing (not that I've ever got one) but disagree on the distance.  I've done France , Italy, Switzerland, Spain on mine and the only place the BMW will beat the Suzuki is on fuel consumption imo.

The DR will do the distance no problem.

But the general riding experience will be easier on the GS......after all, the basic F or G is more road based than the Dakar and Sertao.

30 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I've only got the Dakar to compare with personally but I've done lot of distance on my DR650 and never have I got off it feeling uncomfortable.

I've had the DR and the GS.......and if I was doing distance it would be the GS every time. But that's me.

You may find the DR better for you though.

But I'm comparing a 2015 water cooled fuel injected machine with ABS compared to a 96 DR.......so in many ways it's not a fair comparison.

The DR is a brilliant machine though, and if I could buy a new one then I'd be there in a shot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The 2020 DR650 is no different whatsoever to the 1996 so I wouldn't worry about that  :classic_laugh:

Surprised they haven't updated it to injection......I wouldn't like to go back to carbs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

Surprised they haven't updated it to injection......I wouldn't like to go back to carbs.

I thought that in order to meet the new emissions regs injection was a must?

55 minutes ago, Tango said:

I thought that in order to meet the new emissions regs injection was a must?

Yes.....the DR hasn't been sold in Europe for over 20 years now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Yes.....the DR hasn't been sold in Europe for over 20 years now!

And very few in Portugal, too. The XT600 was king here, but I think that's because both Honda and Yamaha were much bigger brands and had much more dealership presence.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And very few in Portugal, too. The XT600 was king here, but I think that's because both Honda and Yamaha were much bigger brands and had much more dealership presence.

There's certainly more XT's for sale here than DR's, so I guess that the same is true here as well.

31 minutes ago, Tango said:

There's certainly more XT's for sale here than DR's, so I guess that the same is true here as well.

I think Yamaha France is almost viewed as it's own brand. It's immense, or at least used to be, just look at the racing they did under their own name in endurance or the Dakar.

• Like 4