Warning, 30 seconds after reading this, the thread will self destruct

yen_powell

2 hours ago, yen_powell said:

This place had no guides only the speaker things you carried with you. It also had no cashier, it was all self service in the canteen, even paying in an honesty box (cash only preferred, but a self service card machine was there as well for entry/tea food etc. Years ago we used to pay for the trials practice ground across the road by putting money in a sunken box with no one to check.

Sorry, mine had the guides.:classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Places like that you need to go in on your own without permission.

There's no "buzz" otherwise!

An old building, warehouse, factory etc I'd agree but the chaps who guide you round here were excellent with stories of the Russian Air Force coming into our air space on a regular basis only to be chased out again were well worth the company.
They also know where to go, this one was a right underground labyrinth.

http://www.visitthebunker.com

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

An old building, warehouse, factory etc I'd agree but the chaps who guide you round here were excellent with stories of the Russian Air Force coming into our air space on a regular basis only to be chased out again were well worth the company.
They also know where to go, this one was a right underground labyrinth.

http://www.visitthebunker.com

When was that one decommissioned Dave?

Saw a youtube video about the Cold War era Harrier jet that flew on its own with no pilot and the Harrier jet that got lost and had to crash land on top of a container ship in the middle of the ocean today. Brilliant stories.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Had to go look it up and found this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21291911

£2.5m? :classic_ohmy:

With all this selling off of Cold War bunkers you've got to wonder what replaced them and where?

Cos I can't believe that they didn't have other facilities in place ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

Saw a youtube video about the Cold War era Harrier jet that flew on its own with no pilot and the Harrier jet that got lost and had to crash land on top of a container ship in the middle of the ocean today. Brilliant stories.

Well worth a watch

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I've watched quite a few of Mark Felton's videos, that guy knows his onions 👍

I also saw the one about the Regiment of Solicitors and their D Day mission. Bit of a story there, if it could go wrong it did go wrong, but they still soldiered on, probably charging for every quarter of an hour of fighting as well.

• Haha 1

absolutely loved this!! Thanks!! I particularly liked the bicycles an the old computer!!

There is a bunker near the Nurburgring, it was for NATO Commanders to use in case of nuclear attack. I think you would like to visit! 

• Like 1