Inspired by shit weather riding

Cupid Stunt

Fed up with sitting around the house I got off my arse and decided to go for a ride
I headed for Craig y Nos castle and country park as I wanted to get an aerial shot of the castle, a bit drizzly on the way but very mild and no wind at all, up the Upper Tawe Valley (A4067) to the castle, parked up, set up the drone, launched it just to hear a "jobs worth twat" shout "Oi, you can't fly drones here", muppet, damned thing weighs 250 grams it's not like the old days with giant octocopters carrying full size DSLR's, anyway I had to oblige and fuck off, but grabbed a shot of the pond first

1-PXL_20211111_113310443_2048.thumb.jpg.0628a0d5a44cbc9170e0e0bc756cfe4e.jpg

So anyway, no point in arguing with civil servants, I'll just go back and get my pics from an adjacent field, people don't have the right to the air space above their property, otherwise you could ban British Airways
Off and up over the mountain on the A4067 past Crai Reservoir, I can see the clouds are low on the top of the mountains to the west, I hadn't factored in that I'd be riding through there later DOH!

3-DSC01667_2048.thumb.jpg.a8ee154dcd677442e7cc67f6c05bc725.jpg

2-DSC01663_2048.thumb.jpg.3bec32a2e5e614ca0c53cf86d051a3e3.jpg

Down the other side and through Defynnog and into Sennybridge for a stop at the garage and cafe
There were for trail bikes outside, one KTM, an Aprilia Trail (like my old one) and two Royal Enfield Himalayans
Went inside, joined the queue to order some brekies and went to sit at a table on my own, the lady behind the counter said "oh I thought you was with those guys next to you, "Nooooo" I said, "they've got 4 dirt bikes all with road tyres on", needless to say they didn't say much to me after that :), especially when one asked "what are you riding?", "my scotter" said I, "but it's seen more dirt trails than those four" 🙂

Oooh, brekies arrived with a nice pot of tea

4-PXL_20211111_122809626_2048.thumb.jpg.5a3343c029c9449b3ee711afca476d46.jpg

Filled up with fuel at bloody £1.45 per litre then headed off on the A40 towards Llandovery, had to stop on the way to admire the autumn colours, the pic doesn't do it justice

5-PXL_20211111_125512795_2048.thumb.jpg.05f14edab132fd7d12749d62e2b677c5.jpg

Passed by the West End Cafe and on to the Owl's nest to see who was there, only two bikers, nice old boys on NC750's, didn't stop there as their prices are a rip-off

Time to head towards home over the Black Mountain, stunning road all the way (A4069), was often used by Top Gear and other in their programs, however as I started to head up it got very rough very quickly, riding through the cloud and winds got up pretty high too, slowed me right down to a crawl in places and couldn't see more than 60ft ahead

6-PXL_20211111_133656776_2048.thumb.jpg.74108f8c8f5f13f9e0795ea37656020f.jpg

Headed off from the car park higher into the cloud and as it levelled out I spotted two other nutters in the cloud with me
9-DSC01682_2048.thumb.jpg.4c3ea4848489757968ccd550007b6fff.jpg

8-DSC01683_2048.thumb.jpg.faecace4e1e227f5c01a4089eaea628e.jpg

Dropping down the other side towards home and it was boring towns the rest of the way after this:

9-DSC01684_2048.thumb.jpg.c77625259f430bb685df0f1ce6e9e38e.jpg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Why the no fly zone, wildlife?

Just all the paranoia around drone use and the media scare mongering, if the CAA have managed to come out with sensible regulations then people should follow but local authorities are always ten years behind the times
It's ridiculous, apparently at the park you have to write to them, on the day you're going to fly the drone (if you ever go permission which is very unlikely) they will cone off the entire area with warning signs, it's crazy when you think that hundreds of dogs per week are let loose in the park, far more likely someone will suffer a dog bite than a 250 gram drone hitting them and the consequences more serious too
Like I said though, nobody owns the airspace above their land so as long as I'm not stood on their land I can fly over making sure that I maintain line of sight and that I am well above the height of the tallest building/structure

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Just all the paranoia around drone use and the media scare mongering, if the CAA have managed to come out with sensible regulations then people should follow but local authorities are always ten years behind the times
It's ridiculous, apparently at the park you have to write to them, on the day you're going to fly the drone (if you ever go permission which is very unlikely) they will cone off the entire area with warning signs, it's crazy when you think that hundreds of dogs per week are let loose in the park, far more likely someone will suffer a dog bite than a 250 gram drone hitting them and the consequences more serious too
Like I said though, nobody owns the airspace above their land so as long as I'm not stood on their land I can fly over making sure that I maintain line of sight and that I am well above the height of the tallest building/structure

Is there a lot of people flying drones there now Terry?

2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

"Nooooo" I said, "they've got 4 dirt bikes all with road tyres on", needless to say they didn't say much to me after that :), especially when one asked "what are you riding?", "my scotter" said I, "but it's seen more dirt trails than those four"

Nice one Terry, I see that you still have a way with words :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Is there a lot of people flying drones there now Terry?

Not that many as a percentage of population but it will become more popular in a year or two when the new regulations fully kick in, manufacturers will be producing sub 250 gram drones by the ton as there are no restrictions or requirements for registration other than not flying in no go zones like airports, near buildings, built up areas and even near people is allowed but the machines have to be certified as under 250 grams flying weight, at the moment there is exemption for sub 250 gram even without certification but that will expire in about a year, right now there are no certified drones but there are some uncertified sub 250 gram, however when the rules fully kick in all those uncertified drones will become redundant so not many people are going to invest in them now

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Not that many as a percentage of population but it will become more popular in a year or two when the new regulations fully kick in, manufacturers will be producing sub 250 gram drones by the ton as there are no restrictions or requirements for registration other than not flying in no go zones like airports, near buildings, built up areas and even near people is allowed but the machines have to be certified as under 250 grams flying weight, at the moment there is exemption for sub 250 gram even without certification but that will expire in about a year, right now there are no certified drones but there are some uncertified sub 250 gram, however when the rules fully kick in all those uncertified drones will become redundant so not many people are going to invest in them now

Are there any rules about shooting the annoying bastid things down?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Are there any rules about shooting the annoying bastid things down?

There's been a couple buzzing around down the sea front, can't say they've bothered me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

There's been a couple buzzing around down the sea front, can't say they've bothered me.

Im all for people getting their jollies in whatever form makes them happy (excluding deviancy that hurts other people… unless the other person likes getting hurt… hmm free fall rambling occurring.. my batteries must be flat… Im going for a nap… after a post or two..) but cos my house is in a field the buggers get bored and decide they’d like to have a little snoop into my house. Doesnt happen often but it is an mahoosive invasion of privacy and Id like to destroy them a bit.. a lot.. serve the nosey buggers right doncha fink?

fail oh no GIF

• Like 3

There's no need for paranoia regarding drones, they have such wide angle views that you can't recognise a person even from 20ft away, people using them aren't interested in spying on people or invading privacy, drones are useless for that, they just want nice scenery and dramatic views

• Like 1