Ride Report: BikeHedonia rides the world (one way or another)

Grace (BikeHedonia)

On 14/02/2022 at 14:05, Sir Fallsalot said:

I'm running Michelin Enduro Medium for the first time on the rear of my XTrainer bloody good all round tyre just bought a new front ready for when the stock tyre wears out 

That means Fred will be buying one for the front in 2024 :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

So I was like, "let's check out this new remote route through the wilderness!" and THREE DAYS LATER we made it home. Turns out that it was most likely a drug smuggling track not a normal trail... lol.

Good job you're young and fit, some of those trails look like goat tracks :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Bummer with the clutch but I guess it wasn't expecting that ride at the beginning of it's life.:classic_laugh:

Neither was I. 

Having said that, I didn't flog the shit out of it any more than usual, and even if I did it should have endured more than 220km of punishment. I wonder if it was not adjusted right from the factory, or if something went wrong when they chucked the aftermarket levers on? It doesn't make sense to get 90,000km out of one set of clutch plates on the KTM and 220km from one set of clutch plates on the KLX...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Having said that, I didn't flog the shit out of it any more than usual, and even if I did it should have endured more than 220km of punishment. I wonder if it was not adjusted right from the factory, or if something went wrong when they chucked the aftermarket levers on? It doesn't make sense to get 90,000km out of one set of clutch plates on the KTM and 220km from one set of clutch plates on the KLX...

It's a Kawasaki Grace.......whereas the other 3 Japs could well last a lifetime, Kwaks are not even guaranteed to last a lunchtime!

What you say @Tym?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tym said:

I think she would look great on a Kawasaki. :littleguy:

Diplomatically avoiding the question haha

Well done

I have a slight soft spot for Kwakas because my first road bike was a zzr250... the beginning of many things

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Diplomatically avoiding the question haha

Well done

I have a slight soft spot for Kwakas because my first road bike was a zzr250... the beginning of many things

My soft spotz my wallet thats why im still on my KLR.... If i was somebody id ride a Yamaha. :littleguy:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Neither was I. 

I guess it's possible the cable was adjusted wrong but would think you'd notice it sliding with your experience.
I also wonder as it's a road going model whether its not as good a clutch as the off road.

5 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

I guess it's possible the cable was adjusted wrong but would think you'd notice it sliding with your experience.
I also wonder as it's a road going model whether its not as good a clutch as the off road.

Yeah I definitely didn't notice any slipping until the final hill where it gave out rapidly and totally. I think you might be right about quality though. Although the klx230r and klx230 have basically the same engine, their maintenance schedules are unbelievably different.  The R is clearly in a different performance (and stress) league than the standard, and it makes you wonder what else has been bodged on the inside to keep the cost of the standard edition down, on the assumption that it won't be working so hard.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Yeah I definitely didn't notice any slipping until the final hill where it gave out rapidly and totally. I think you might be right about quality though. Although the klx230r and klx230 have basically the same engine, their maintenance schedules are unbelievably different.  The R is clearly in a different performance (and stress) league than the standard, and it makes you wonder what else has been bodged on the inside to keep the cost of the standard edition down, on the assumption that it won't be working so hard.

They didn't put car oil with those friction additives in there did they?

2 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I had the clutch give out on my XR a while back after struggling to get up a gnarly lane, it failed as i got back onto the road i couldn't touch the throttle as it would slip so i backed off all the adjustment at the handlebar and i got it to bite again but to get it right i had to back off the cable adjustment down by the engine as well it's been ok since no slipping at all 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I had the clutch give out on my XR a while back after struggling to get up a gnarly lane, it failed as i got back onto the road i couldn't touch the throttle as it would slip so i backed off all the adjustment at the handlebar and i got it to bite again but to get it right i had to back off the cable adjustment down by the engine as well it's been ok since no slipping at all 

Oh how strange. Yes I tried backing off the adjustment and waiting until the bike was cool, to no avail. But didn't changet the cable adjustment down by the engine...

• Like 1