Ride Report: BikeHedonia rides the world (one way or another)

Grace (BikeHedonia)

8 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Yes, Kawasaki just said, "don't go over 4,000 revs and change it after 1,000km". Is there something else I should know?

Just guessing. Running in oil's not so slippery to allow the engine to bed in. I shouldn't think it'd allow the clutch to wear faster but you never know.

8 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Oh how strange. Yes I tried backing off the adjustment and waiting until the bike was cool, to no avail. But didn't changet the cable adjustment down by the engine...

If you had that little play at the lever then it should be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Just guessing. Running in oil's not so slippery to allow the engine to bed in. I shouldn't think it'd allow the clutch to wear faster but you never know.

If you had that little play at the lever then it should be fine.

Interesting thought re: running in oil. Thanks.

If you heat it up enough, any clutch will fall apart. You can burn through a clutch in 1km or the same one last 100000 if used gently on the road, considering the abuse it's not surprising, ideally next time just stop for a breather when you feel it start to slide at first.

Also, if that is the abuse the bike is going to get it's better you adopt closer oil change intervals, and maybe put stronger clutch springs in, too. Kawasaki clearly thought you'd use it differently when advising on maintenance.

13 hours ago, Pedro said:

If you heat it up enough, any clutch will fall apart. You can burn through a clutch in 1km or the same one last 100000 if used gently on the road, considering the abuse it's not surprising, ideally next time just stop for a breather when you feel it start to slide at first.

Also, if that is the abuse the bike is going to get it's better you adopt closer oil change intervals, and maybe put stronger clutch springs in, too. Kawasaki clearly thought you'd use it differently when advising on maintenance.

I guess it's a more delicate animal than the other machines I've been riding. I did let it have a little nap in the rain when I first felt it slipping but yeah didn't seem to do the trick.

Yes, totally agree with you re service intervals, I will be changing oil etc much more frequently. Interestingly, it has the same engine (but different mapping etc) as the KLX230R, and comparing the service interval recommendations for the two bikes is like cheese and chalk. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Yes, totally agree with you re service intervals, I will be changing oil etc much more frequently. Interestingly, it has the same engine (but different mapping etc) as the KLX230R, and comparing the service interval recommendations for the two bikes is like cheese and chalk. 

My Honda XR400's manual asks for an oil change every 1000 miles. Honda assumes it's a racebike, as it was meant to be back then, people however take them touring and do 5 times that with no issues. 

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

My Honda XR400's manual asks for an oil change every 1000 miles. Honda assumes it's a racebike, as it was meant to be back then, people however take them touring and do 5 times that with no issues. 

I think you will find that's every 1000km about 600 miles i change mine every 1000 miles

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I think you will find that's every 1000km about 600 miles i change mine every 1000 miles

Mine hardly moves, I change it every so often :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

I do like the xr400. A good bike for mustering cattle, among other things.

• Like 1

Exceedingly excited to say that I now have my own website (instead of the wordpress hosted free site thing which kept running out of space for photos). Yay! It's (predictably) www.bikehedonia.com . I've even managed to put the subscribe functionality on the new website so that you can elect to be spammed with every new blog post.

And (wait, there's more!) I even made BikeHedonia shirts in case anyone needs a hoodie: https://bikehedonia.creator-spring.com/

Yes, I have been hard at work getting over my horror at self-promotion, and may I please humbly thank you all here for giving me a safe space to work on this without being called a total nob. 🙏🙏🙏

But, seriously, feedback is invited. Let me know if I messed up the website, if you don't like the shirt, if something misses the mark. Thanks - your community is appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found some old footage of my second real enduro ride, from a year ago! It was cool looking back and remembering how I got hung up on obstacles that wouldn't bother me today. It's been a steep learning curve and a looong looong way to go yet...

• Like 3

On 06/03/2022 at 00:56, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I found some old footage of my second real enduro ride, from a year ago! It was cool looking back and remembering how I got hung up on obstacles that wouldn't bother me today. It's been a steep learning curve and a looong looong way to go yet...

I think you did a great job there Grace 👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my lovely people, I hope you're all having fun and maybe getting out on the bikes a bit again - it's spring, right? The seasons have changed here too, from winter to summer (our season are in a weird order, one minute it's cold and the next you're crisping up like a potato in an air fryer).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Hello my lovely people, I hope you're all having fun and maybe getting out on the bikes a bit again - it's spring, right? The seasons have changed here too, from winter to summer (our season are in a weird order, one minute it's cold and the next you're crisping up like a potato in an air fryer).

Good to see you Grace!

• Like 1

My gorgeous people, exciting news!! I finally got published IN PRINT. For real! If you come across Bike Magazine UK's April edition, you'll find a six page spread in there, talking about all the shady things I did to get into Vietnam!

Woot! This is a serious milestone. If you lay eyes on a copy of the magazine, please post a magazine selfie here for me, for no better reason than that I would be absolutely stoked. 😄

20220315_154324.jpg

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to meeting up with a fellow rider tomorrow - he's on holidays here in Thailand (at last!) after spending the last few years in Mongolia where he rides dirtbikes across the steppes when not working. Seems like a nice bloke, love meeting up with other motorcycling people. Can't wait.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I'm looking forward to meeting up with a fellow rider tomorrow - he's on holidays here in Thailand (at last!) after spending the last few years in Mongolia where he rides dirtbikes across the steppes when not working. Seems like a nice bloke, love meeting up with other motorcycling people. Can't wait.

What work does he do in Mongolia?

On 18/03/2022 at 08:02, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

My gorgeous people, exciting news!! I finally got published IN PRINT. For real! If you come across Bike Magazine UK's April edition, you'll find a six page spread in there, talking about all the shady things I did to get into Vietnam!

Woot! This is a serious milestone. If you lay eyes on a copy of the magazine, please post a magazine selfie here for me, for no better reason than that I would be absolutely stoked. 😄

20220315_154324.jpg

Oooh she’s hit the big time

Happy Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

• Haha 1