Ride Report: BikeHedonia rides the world (one way or another)

Grace (BikeHedonia)

6 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I've been practicing some of that myself today, I don't know whats happening with me. things i used to find easy i'm struggling with now. Anyhow your looking good 👍

Some days are off days. Some days I can't ride for shit and I have no idea why haha. It's something of which I became acutely aware when I was riding every day during the first couple of years of my trip. Some days, you just need to give up and chill tf out before you get run over by a truck or fall off a cliff...

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ouch! But mighty fine skills to to have so kinda worth it.. maybe 🤔 

totally worth it! what's a little bruise compared to skills that will stop me a) being a crappy rider and missing out or b) having a serious accident on an enduro bike because of lack of skill. I'm all in

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

totally worth it! what's a little bruise compared to skills that will stop me a) being a crappy rider and missing out or b) having a serious accident on an enduro bike because of lack of skill. I'm all in

When you weigh up bruises against going off the side of a mountain theres not a lot to contemplate is there 😆 

Crash Fail GIF by Seat Time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A new episode of my travails is live, including sleeping on a mountainside and looping out a wheelie on the enduro bike to the endless amusement of a family of Thai farmers.

I aim to entertain haha.

https://bikehedonia.wordpress.com/2021/11/29/tigers-in-the-night/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

A new episode of my travails is live, including sleeping on a mountainside and looping out a wheelie on the enduro bike to the endless amusement of a family of Thai farmers.

I aim to entertain haha.

https://bikehedonia.wordpress.com/2021/11/29/tigers-in-the-night/

Sounds like much fun was had Grace 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Another entertaining instalment. Not sure if you might be a little unhinged turning down a campsite to sleep on the floor under a burrito tarp 😂

BTW Im guessing given your vocabulary that Bikehedonia’ is play on strikhedonia? Very smart.

hbo veep GIF

Actually it is not, I have to admit to being somewhat dubious as to the legitimacy of the word strikhedonia, although naturally I love the sentiment. It's not in any dictionary except the urban dictionary; perhaps it will be included in due course. Nothing wrong with a good neologism. 

But bikehedonia is simply a portmanteau of bike and hedonia - hedonia being pleasure, specifically of the more earthly sensation kind. This is the type of feeling that riding - and riding away - gives to me. Hence the name. In retrospect, I think it is very poor branding because half of the english speaking population don't seem to know how to pronounce hedonia or know what it means, but I made it up years ago and it's too late to change it now. It does have the benefit, however, that if anyone searches bikehedonia on the internet they are unlikely to be confused by an overabundance of results unrelated to myself 😉 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Another entertaining instalment. Not sure if you might be a little unhinged turning down a campsite to sleep on the floor under a burrito tarp 😂

Oh and yes, definitely unhinged, the evidence is beyond refutation 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Actually it is not, I have to admit to being somewhat dubious as to the legitimacy of the word strikhedonia, although naturally I love the sentiment. It's not in any dictionary except the urban dictionary; perhaps it will be included in due course. Nothing wrong with a good neologism. 

But bikehedonia is simply a portmanteau of bike and hedonia - hedonia being pleasure, specifically of the more earthly sensation kind. This is the type of feeling that riding - and riding away - gives to me. Hence the name. In retrospect, I think it is very poor branding because half of the english speaking population don't seem to know how to pronounce hedonia or know what it means, but I made it up years ago and it's too late to change it now. It does have the benefit, however, that if anyone searches bikehedonia on the internet they are unlikely to be confused by an overabundance of results unrelated to myself 😉 

Yer it’s dubious in its origins but language is a moveable feast so the word now exists even if it didn’t in the past. 

Having said that I came across it years ago on one of those super exciting dictionary websites (I’ll yawn on the behalf of all normal people here) who have weird words of the day. It was up with two other corkers- Ultracrepidarian and Philosophunculist - two things in abundance on the internet lol 😂 In all honesty I just assumed (clearly wrongly) that it was a word that was is use in Oz 😆 

• Like 1

I've decided that after five years it was time for a new introduction video - since wow, things have not turned out the way I predicted! I thought I'd be in Paris within 18 months... now it's been 5 years, I haven't made it to Paris and the destination has changed anyway - from Paris to everywhere...

• Like 4

Going on a road trip! Leaving tomorrow on the CBR. Gonna ride across half of Thailand, going solo again, can't wait. I kind of wish I had the KTM with me here in Thailand so that I could go explore some sketchy dirt roads up near the Laos border but you can't always get what you want; and the CBR will be a bundle of fun on those twisties. And...I just can't wait to get back on the road, even if it's just for a short (week, maybe?) outing. The second wave of covid here in Thailand has kept me confined to Chiang Mai province and sheltering up on my mountain for months now, and it's an unfamiliar feeling to stay in one place.

cbr photo .jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Going on a road trip! Leaving tomorrow on the CBR. Gonna ride across half of Thailand, going solo again, can't wait. I kind of wish I had the KTM with me here in Thailand so that I could go explore some sketchy dirt roads up near the Laos border but you can't always get what you want; and the CBR will be a bundle of fun on those twisties. And...I just can't wait to get back on the road, even if it's just for a short (week, maybe?) outing. The second wave of covid here in Thailand has kept me confined to Chiang Mai province and sheltering up on my mountain for months now, and it's an unfamiliar feeling to stay in one place.

cbr photo .jpg

What sort of mileage do you plan on doing Grace?