Black Days!

XTreme

18 hours ago, XTreme said:

Another Black Day falls tomorrow (Thursday)......55 years since the Aberfan Disaster!

spacer.png

Aberfan has always affected me greatly. I wasn’t born when it happened but my family talked about it when I was a kid because I grew up in a Colliery village in the North East and we had a slag heap nearby.

When I was old enough to understand I watched a documentary in my teens that shook me up and even now I still can’t imagine what those poor kids must have experienced. 

The episode of The Crown about the disaster is a tough watch but brings it home the horror of it all. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What bliss and the complete opposite of my experience 😂

I returned to my accommodation that morning to a steady stream of people wanting to come into my room because a couple of years earlier Id made the maintenance guy a cup of coffee and in return he volunteered to hook my tv to the main aerial on the top of a block of flats so I was the only one with a decent tv reception, everyone else had varying amounts of snow and hiss. 

I was never a Lady Di fan. It was the most excruciating two days worth of people watching my tv, crying and not leaving. The ridiculousness of the hysteria was being played out on repeat in my bedroom ad nauseum. I left them my room keys and drove over 100miles to get away from it 😂

ps When I got back they had found my snack drawer and eaten the flipping lot. Remembered to clean it out before I did a bunk on the day of her funeral!

I went up to Leeds the weekend of the funeral or whenever it was. A musician made a joke about being held up by flowers being thrown on the motorway or something like that, which I found funny. The glaring eyes told a different story. Shit happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

The country was in shock...... @Specs and @Renegade will remember the news breaking!

Certainly do. Prizegiving day in school and one of the governors being given a message. Lots of whispering then an announcement, somewhat vague as I remember, and a minute's silence.

Saw the raw reality of it all on tv when I got home.

My blood still boils remembering how the government took a huge chunk of the public appeal fund money.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

These stats make for some pretty somber reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_deaths_in_motorcycle_racing

Motorcycle Racing's Darkest Day

1215169653_Screenshot2021-10-21181211.jpg.7e248c19120057ab020960b06c718204.jpg

Fuel tanks were ruptured, sparks flew and a ball of fame engulfed the circuit, setting alight the hay bales uselessly lining the Armco. Riders rode through the blinding inferno at high speed, trying but mostly failing to avoid the fallen. In all, 14 riders crashed. Only one or two walked away; several were seriously injured. Saarinen and Pasolini were dead.

And yet in spite of this scene of horror no warning flags were shown and the race wasn’t stopped. For several minutes many of the survivors kept racing, threading their way through the chaos each lap, until they pulled into the pits of their own volition and the race ended.

spacer.png

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Oh yeh.....the grieving families saw very little of it.

Not much has changed then. Still large amount of money missing from the donations made to the Grenfell appeal I think as well!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tango said:

Not much has changed then. Still large amount of money missing from the donations made to the Grenfell appeal I think as well!

well that's politicians for you i don't vote never have and never will

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

Build a school underneath an unstable slag heap, what could possibly go wrong?

The village and school were there years before they started tipping at tip No7 so you should have said :-

Tip an unstable slag heap above a village, what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Motorcycle Racing's Darkest Day

1215169653_Screenshot2021-10-21181211.jpg.7e248c19120057ab020960b06c718204.jpg

Fuel tanks were ruptured, sparks flew and a ball of fame engulfed the circuit, setting alight the hay bales uselessly lining the Armco. Riders rode through the blinding inferno at high speed, trying but mostly failing to avoid the fallen. In all, 14 riders crashed. Only one or two walked away; several were seriously injured. Saarinen and Pasolini were dead.

And yet in spite of this scene of horror no warning flags were shown and the race wasn’t stopped. For several minutes many of the survivors kept racing, threading their way through the chaos each lap, until they pulled into the pits of their own volition and the race ended.

spacer.png

I saw a documentary about that incident, it was absolutely shocking!

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

I saw a documentary about that incident, it was absolutely shocking!

It was murder......no other way to describe it!

I speak to Soili (Jarno's widow) on Facebook......she's still very, very bitter about it to this day.

71138578_2898545750172801_3019358014768414720_n.jpg.da6abcd0be30996bc4a0a78fd86943d8.jpg

97596825_1000118043738634_28739206725500928_n.jpg.d820bde584e317d8ff417658927d702d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Specs said:

Certainly do. Prizegiving day in school and one of the governors being given a message. Lots of whispering then an announcement, somewhat vague as I remember, and a minute's silence.

Saw the raw reality of it all on tv when I got home.

My blood still boils remembering how the government took a huge chunk of the public appeal fund money.

I remember it well, quite a few of my school went there to help. I go there every year on this day or a few days either side to have my own minutes silence. I like Alan @Specs despise how the government took a large amount of money from the apperal fund. I've worked in the area alot and have seen the after math, I had customers in the area who had gone to the school themselves and had lost relatives (Brothers and sister etc) .

Aberfan poem.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 21/10/2021 at 16:53, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I was never a Lady Di fan.

Pretty much the same here. I had a bollocking for not letting people know the news as I'd heard it when it happened and then went to sleep.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1