Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

boboneleg

11 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The numbers don't look good but its pretty quick in action 

Probably be quicker than the speed your brain works if that's any consolation Fred!

Clash Royale Yes GIF by Clash

• Haha 2

The broadband here is hopeless, with a max of 7mbps if you're lucky
I've had to get a 4G router via the Three network which at least gives me usable results, I have no need for anything faster, it only takes minutes to download an entire movie, how much faster does anyone need?

image.png.a33fae2aa62e6a503401aeb85ff78e59.png

I'm on fibreoptic here now and getting 75 download and 105 upload.

@boboneleg  the laptop I use at home ( an old lenovo X201) which I got free from a friend about 5 or 6 years ago had got reeeeaaaallllllyyyyy slow over the last year. I took it into our local independant computor place and he took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the physical harddrive with a "whatsit thingy" ( SSD?) replaced the 32bit OS for a 64 and reinstalled my stuff on it. 

180€ and it 's faster then it's ever been, faster than either of the other 2 we have at home which are far more recent.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MooN said:

@boboneleg  the laptop I use at home ( an old lenovo X201) which I got free from a friend about 5 or 6 years ago had got reeeeaaaallllllyyyyy slow over the last year. I took it into our local independant computor place and he took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the physical harddrive with a "whatsit thingy" ( SSD?) replaced the 32bit OS for a 64 and reinstalled my stuff on it. 

180€ and it 's faster then it's ever been, faster than either of the other 2 we have at home which are far more recent.  

Yes, I've been looking at SSD rather than a hard drive but everyone is trying to sell me super-dooper gaming PC's, that would be overkill for me a I don't do any of that stuff.  I'd just like it to load faster , especially when a thread is picture heavy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MooN said:

SSD is the gamechanger! Money well spent!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Yes, I've been looking at SSD rather than a hard drive but everyone is trying to sell me super-dooper gaming PC's, that would be overkill for me a I don't do any of that stuff.  I'd just like it to load faster , especially when a thread is picture heavy.

that's why I didn't go to one of the big stores Bob, they just try to sell you stuff, the independant bloke here, though he does sell some computors, makes his money from repairing and restoring. 

• Like 2

1303060503_Screenshot2021-10-10at10_25_39.png.3006e46718cec7e207ceb1e7fac499b6.png

We moved from Virgins 100 to 200mps a little while ago. !00 was fine but she was offered a "good deal". Now there are times that speed shows when loading an ad littered page but must admit to having to wait more since changing.
I can speed test at times and get the above results, other times it will hang around the 50mps then just up towards the end like it knows it's being tested.

• Like 2

Why on earth have people got in excess of 50/100/200mbps?
Even full on Netflix with multiple users only requires around 8mbps, at 30mbps full movies download in minutes

I can understand it if you're running your own servers at home for the World to use and need a great upload speed

??????

12 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I can understand it if you're running your own servers at home for the World to use and need a great upload speed

Nobody has run servers at home since the 1990's Terry......domestic bandwidth allowances would make it impossible.

My Dedis are in London and Michigan! And if I'm uploading or downloading many gigs of data to Michigan then it doesn't transmit at my maximum capabilities because of the latency en-route and the various hops it goes through.

25 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Why on earth have people got in excess of 50/100/200mbps?
Even full on Netflix with multiple users only requires around 8mbps, at 30mbps full movies download in minutes

??????

Because there's four people in my house and can all be on line at the same time, it comes with the package i pay for which includes TV and telephone :littleguy:

• Like 1

@boboneleg I bought a new PC about 6 or 7 years ago that came with a SSD for the operating system and a HDD for storage, it was light years ahead of my old PC i would walk away from it while it was booting up it used to take so long even now after seven years of abuse this PC only takes 23 seconds from pressing the on button to surfing the net. Not sure if it will speed up your internet browsing but everything else is so much faster and smoother. And just to say you get alot more for your money if you buy a PC instead of a laptop

38 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

@boboneleg I bought a new PC about 6 or 7 years ago that came with a SSD for the operating system and a HDD for storage, it was light years ahead of my old PC i would walk away from it while it was booting up it used to take so long even now after seven years of abuse this PC only takes 23 seconds from pressing the on button to surfing the net. Not sure if it will speed up your internet browsing but everything else is so much faster and smoother. And just to say you get alot more for your money if you buy a PC instead of a laptop

Nice one Fred, I'll definitely be buying a PC rather than a laptop.  I can't get on with laptops.

I got rid of my home broadband and got an iPhone which I use as a hotspot for the computer.  I have unlimited everything on the iPhone and this costs me £22.30  a month. Less than half what I was paying for home broadband and landline.

1561217195_Screenshot2021-10-10at19_08_16.png.8e37bcea757991f973b5183d21c663e8.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

I got rid of my home broadband and got a phone which I use as a hotspot for the computer.  I have unlimited everything on the phone and this costs me £22.30  a month. Less than half what I was paying for home broadband and landline.

1561217195_Screenshot2021-10-10at19_08_16.png.8e37bcea757991f973b5183d21c663e8.png

Nobody seems to have Symmetrical connections.......as in upload and downloads are on par with each other.

Just now, XTreme said:

Nobody seems to have Symmetrical connections.......as in upload and downloads are on par with each other.

Ive never seen that... ever. not with Virgin, NTL or their predecessors going right back to dial-up. and those bleeping modems.

• Like 1

If I run the BT speed test strangely enough it's quicker. :rofl: It was over 200Mbps when I first had it installed. They guarantee 130+ but I'm sure that it's slower than that at times.

223310954_Screenshot2021-10-10at21_04_10.png.0f0cf90c47a1f6c41ecd3664d27c9eca.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Specs said:

If I run the BT speed test strangely enough it's quicker. :rofl: It was over 200Mbps when I first had it installed. They guarantee 130+ but I'm sure that it's slower than that at times.

223310954_Screenshot2021-10-10at21_04_10.png.0f0cf90c47a1f6c41ecd3664d27c9eca.png

To get full speed you need to use a Lan cable not wifi.

26 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I don't know whats going on with the upload speed it's always been low like this. i'm paying for 100mbps and my PC is plugged into the router not connected wirelessly 

Query it with them Fred!