Occasional Offroader Recommendations

Tango

2 hours ago, Mawsley said:

No idea what France is like, but secondhand values are soaring as new models can’t get shipped over. I’m seeing 2nd hand CRFs going for more than new RRP. 

Gone are the days of finding cheapo sub £1k imports from DK unfortunately. 

Secondhand prices here vary wildly, but they're all towards the upper end! It seems, from what I've seen on the selling sites, that the smaller capacity bikes are nearly all motocrossers or proper trials bikes, which are not road legal. Then there's a gap and the trail/enduro bikes are mostly 600cc+. Very rarely does a road legal small capacity bike come up and they are often 70's, 80's or 90's bikes that the seller immediately think are classic and bump the price up to ridiculous sums!

So, it's looking like something like an XT660, DR650, KLE650 or similar are the most available options and even then some sellers want silly money for a nail!

The search continues!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Royal Enfield Himalayan, cheap as chips, plenty of character, enough power for the dirt, decent comfort to get you to and from trails, more capable than most of us, easy to fix and crashes well.

It’ll do almost 90mpg no matter how much you thrash it.

Not only that but looks cool-as-fuck when you pull up next to the latest bit of expensive, light weight, made-from-unobtainium, plastic coated hardcore, purpose built dirt bike in your cheap, nothing-matches riding gear (that’s compulsory 😂) a minute or so after they’ve arrived.

Oh, and you’ll laugh your tits off most of the time too. 😝😝👍👍👍👍👍

F1B20480-CB26-4A63-B708-508C59E5CC16.jpeg

One thing that I've noticed about living here, is that many people are not badge snobs, so consequently bikes like the Himalayan still go for good money! But it's worthy of consideration if one comes up at the right price.

As an aside, my OH's brother has a Bullet and an old CG125, which are his only vehicles. So he goes all over the place on them loaded up with camping gear for his holidays. He loves both of those bikes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

New anything.

Want a new car? Mid to late 2022 for the ones I looked at recently. Jeep told me November for one in the colour I wanted - but I'm betting it's a lie. Anything using a semiconductor is buggered because of a global shortage.

The tax on new cars is horrendous there, too, from what I've heard. 

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Royal Enfield Himalayan, cheap as chips, plenty of character, enough power for the dirt, decent comfort to get you to and from trails, more capable than most of us, easy to fix and crashes well.

It’ll do almost 90mpg no matter how much you thrash it.

Not only that but looks cool-as-fuck when you pull up next to the latest bit of expensive, light weight, made-from-unobtainium, plastic coated hardcore, purpose built dirt bike in your cheap, nothing-matches riding gear (that’s compulsory 😂) a minute or so after they’ve arrived.

Oh, and you’ll laugh your tits off most of the time too. 😝😝👍👍👍👍👍

F1B20480-CB26-4A63-B708-508C59E5CC16.jpeg

Not surprising I second this! Id say have a test ride on it and any of the other contenders you can because one is bound to be a much better fit for you and then an extra bit of moola (if needed) for a great fit seems irrelevant. 

• Like 2

On 04/10/2021 at 21:26, Pedro said:

Quite a difference between a motocross engine and the enduro/trail version when it comes to peak power and delivery, though. I would say a 450f would be easy enough, if a little uncomfortable to sit on. Just put a tooth more on the sprocket if it's too snappy and all's good. 

I do say, there will be no freedom like riding your smooth 500 on the road and just exploring dirt roads when you fancy, that's what it is all about.

An older more old school 250 will be shit on the road, I think.

Nah, the Yam 450 enduro bike is a beast as well .  I've ridden my mates 2019 model, not as mad as a Maico 490 but not far off

index.jpg.8fc8f8bfdbc43b03eaf734e6fad5022c.jpg

• Like 4