Occasional Offroader Recommendations

Tango

At some point I'd like to get a fairly light bike for a bit off not-too-challenging off roading, kind of more green laning, or gravel tracks as they're more common here.

I don't want to spend a lot, so will probably get a doer-upper to tinker with.

It'll need to be road legal too, so I can ride it to the lanes. I'm guessing something 250cc up to 650cc that'll be fairly robust.

So, any recommendations of something that may fit the bill?

DR350 is a great bike , a bit long in the tooth now but if you can find an example that hasn't been abused you should be good to go, if you've got a bit more to spend then a CRF250L is a good reliable bike, fit a better rear shock and it will take you up any trail.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

DR350 is a great bike , a bit long in the tooth now but if you can find an example that hasn't been abused you should be good to go, if you've got a bit more to spend then a CRF250L is a good reliable bike, fit a better rear shock and it will take you up any trail.

Yeh......considering the high price of older trail bikes now you'd be better off spending a bit more and getting a CRF250L.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The old DR350 and DRZ400's are good bikes to start with but here second hand bike prices have gone up a lot. Not sure what is available out with you and are you long or short in leg

I'm about 32" in the leg and 6'1" tall and around 14st.

Secondhand bike prices are very variable here. Some are reasonable,  but there's always someone trying to punt a shed out as a "classic" for silly money! Seems to be more choice of bikes around the 600cc capacity here. Most of the smaller capacity bikes are either proper trials bikes or motocross bikes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Do you like scrambles? Some are good off road and they are good on the road. Not light, but good looking and there's something to be said about looking cool! 

I quite like the scramblers, but, as you say, they're a bit heavy and I'm not sure how much offroad abuse they could take. 

And it would take a lot more than a scrambler to make me look cool! 😂😂😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tango said:

At some point I'd like to get a fairly light bike for a bit off not-too-challenging off roading, kind of more green laning, or gravel tracks as they're more common here.

CB500X wouldn't be a bad choice for easy hard packed dirtroads, also saving you a lot of money on another bike. I would just use your own bike at first when testing the waters.

On the dry most tires will be ok, I find my tires to be really good for any pace I ride on road and adequate for dry compacted gravel or dirt, TKC70.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tango said:

Yeah, the idea is not to kill myself! 😂😂😂

You should be ok with this , put some nobblies on it … probably get one with a nice little shopping basket as wellimage.jpeg.3c6b221138731d0b57148edc437c409c.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

You should be ok with this , put some nobblies on it … probably get one with a nice little shopping basket as wellimage.jpeg.3c6b221138731d0b57148edc437c409c.jpeg

My second moped, after I destroyed my Raleigh Runabout! 

But, I went on a motocross taster day years back......the 450cc bikes were all mental! The 250cc's were just about controllable on that circuit for us novices! 😂😂

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

My second moped, after I destroyed my Raleigh Runabout! 

But, I went on a motocross taster day years back......the 450cc bikes were all mental! The 250cc's were just about controllable on that circuit for us novices! 😂😂

Quite a difference between a motocross engine and the enduro/trail version when it comes to peak power and delivery, though. I would say a 450f would be easy enough, if a little uncomfortable to sit on. Just put a tooth more on the sprocket if it's too snappy and all's good. 

I do say, there will be no freedom like riding your smooth 500 on the road and just exploring dirt roads when you fancy, that's what it is all about.

An older more old school 250 will be shit on the road, I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Quite a difference between a motocross engine and the enduro/trail version when it comes to peak power and delivery, though. I would say a 450f would be easy enough, if a little uncomfortable to sit on. Just put a tooth more on the sprocket if it's too snappy and all's good. 

I do say, there will be no freedom like riding your smooth 500 on the road and just exploring dirt roads when you fancy, that's what it is all about.

An older more old school 250 will be shit on the road, I think.

The only problem with the Honda is that it's got too much plastic to break if I drop it. So, I was thinking something old and ratty for exploring offroad,  something that would probably be improved by dropping it. 😂😂

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

No idea what France is like, but secondhand values are soaring as new models can’t get shipped over. I’m seeing 2nd hand CRFs going for more than new RRP. 

Gone are the days of finding cheapo sub £1k imports from DK unfortunately. 

Problem getting new bikes there?

• Like 1

Royal Enfield Himalayan, cheap as chips, plenty of character, enough power for the dirt, decent comfort to get you to and from trails, more capable than most of us, easy to fix and crashes well.

It’ll do almost 90mpg no matter how much you thrash it.

Not only that but looks cool-as-fuck when you pull up next to the latest bit of expensive, light weight, made-from-unobtainium, plastic coated hardcore, purpose built dirt bike in your cheap, nothing-matches riding gear (that’s compulsory 😂) a minute or so after they’ve arrived.

Oh, and you’ll laugh your tits off most of the time too. 😝😝👍👍👍👍👍

F1B20480-CB26-4A63-B708-508C59E5CC16.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2