Get out of my street

yen_powell

Back to work today and knocking out a sign for my boss as I am the only one to have a working version of KEYsign because I put it on my home PC so my employer's own I.T department can't muck it up.

Already done 18 of the poxy things, all with different time restrictions and zone numbers and then an extra one dropped into my inbox this morning. The idea is to close streets outside schools to any vehicular traffic except residents during the little darlings' chucking in and chucking out time. The zone number refers to residents in that street who have exemption to pass in and out at those times. Now anyone that knows your typical Brit driver knows that they will go past any new restriction due to the fact they don't care or that they never look at any signs anyway because it was clear in 1985 when they last went through. So they plonk a camera up and ticket them to encourage compliance.

Edit Please note despite me putting the screen caps in order, it has decided to reverse this so it is the wrong way round.

Edit 2, can anyone identify the motorcycle used in all our No Vehicles signs?

Capture7.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Nice one Yen......is the motorcycle a BSA Bantam?

I was hoping you could tell me. I have heard it mentioned, but can't recall what I was told.

My next job is to turn this survey, that I've paid loads of money for, into a design for a traffic scheme with no puddles (hence the contour lines and level information). The problem is what was originally planned has now been cancelled due to the fact that word of it caused a local election to get lost by the ruling party, so I have to think of something else in the next few days. Then I have to go and build it. Beautiful spot for something though. right outside some park gates. I worked on the fabrication drawing for the metal part of the gates years ago.

image.png.cf5c695e38b2f52743a67a9c26bbe90c.png

Capture8.JPG

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Back to work today and knocking out a sign for my boss as I am the only one to have a working version of KEYsign because I put it on my home PC so my employer's own I.T department can't muck it up.

Already done 18 of the poxy things, all with different time restrictions and zone numbers and then an extra one dropped into my inbox this morning. The idea is to close streets outside schools to any vehicular traffic except residents during the little darlings' chucking in and chucking out time. The zone number refers to residents in that street who have exemption to pass in and out at those times. Now anyone that knows your typical Brit driver knows that they will go past any new restriction due to the fact they don't care or that they never look at any signs anyway because it was clear in 1985 when they last went through. So they plonk a camera up and ticket them to encourage compliance.

Edit Please note despite me putting the screen caps in order, it has decided to reverse this so it is the wrong way round.

Edit 2, can anyone identify the motorcycle used in all our No Vehicles signs?

Capture7.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Doesn’t that just push the problem further down the road or is there something in place for people to get their kids to school?

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Doesn’t that just push the problem further down the road or is there something in place for people to get their kids to school?

Well exactly. I do tell them that but it's going ahead and in some cases in place already. There is an idea that all children should walk or be walked to school and that is fine if it is within walking distance and parents have time to do it. Unfortunately lots of children are sent to schools that are too far to walk, or in the case of little children, the parents have to be at work at a certain time so the car gives them that time. Having said that, the driver behaviour I have witnessed outside some schools in disgusting and unsafe. I live next to a school and they are bad enough, but where I work it is a whole different level. A few months ago I watched a car stopped at a ped crossing by a lollipop man. The driver opened his door, took his child out and walked with him into the school. Left the car in the middle of the road for a few minutes till he came back.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Well exactly. I do tell them that but it's going ahead and in some cases in place already. There is an idea that all children should walk or be walked to school and that is fine if it is within walking distance and parents have time to do it. Unfortunately lots of children are sent to schools that are too far to walk, or in the case of little children, the parents have to be at work at a certain time so the car gives them that time. Having said that, the driver behaviour I have witnessed outside some schools in disgusting and unsafe. I live next to a school and they are bad enough, but where I work it is a whole different level. A few months ago I watched a car stopped at a ped crossing by a lollipop man. The driver opened his door, took his child out and walked with him into the school. Left the car in the middle of the road for a few minutes till he came back.

I’m very familiar with the Victorian attitudes mainly aimed at mothers failing in their duties to walk their kids to school, completely brushing over the bit that most work and just getting everyone out the door in the morning fed, dressed, with the right kit to school early enough to make it to work on time is like a mini marathon.
They also ignore that the start times of different schools are all very similar and most people have more than one kid and can’t physically be in two different places within 15 minutes without a damn car. So yer I think your bang on in that.

I too have experienced parking outside the school that is so selfish you start to think maybe a licence to breed isn’t such a bad idea after all 😂 Its just the measures are always punitive. There’s never much thought about how to make it easy to drop your kids at school or actually reduce traffic, not by the school at least. The school down the road decided they’d stop the free school bus to save pennies showing a walking route through dark, unlit, unpaved lanes through fields that apparently is fine for children over 7 years old to walk to school on unsupervised. Seriously in this day and age who’d want their little girl to walk alone down dark alleys? Exactly the sort of places you’re told to avoid going alone. So now everyone is back in their cars 🙄

When I suggested they introduced flexible drop off in the form of a supervised area where you can drop of a bit earlier (so everyone wasn’t trying to drop of in the same 10 minutes) that was also ignored. The primary/junior school in the other direction however painted ‘walking bus’ lines on the road (there’s no pavement there) and there a drop of point away from the school where they stick a hi viz on them and walk them the last 200 (ish) metres. That works really well. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I was hoping you could tell me. I have heard it mentioned, but can't recall what I was told.

My next job is to turn this survey, that I've paid loads of money for, into a design for a traffic scheme with no puddles (hence the contour lines and level information). The problem is what was originally planned has now been cancelled due to the fact that word of it caused a local election to get lost by the ruling party, so I have to think of something else in the next few days. Then I have to go and build it. Beautiful spot for something though. right outside some park gates. I worked on the fabrication drawing for the metal part of the gates years ago.

Capture8.JPG

On hold, apparently the Mayor has spoken about it today and we have a 2pm meeting on this very subject. I'll do something else till I hear.

• Like 2

They close the road outside schools around here in the morning, at lunchtime and at kicking out time. They have a steel barrier that goes across the road, which the local municipal police operate. 

• Like 1

Getting there slowly, sketched this up, new one way. Ran an articulated lorry through it on Autotrack to make sure it can get through and hatched it up the proposed new footways temporarily so I can explain to the politicians what I'm up to.

Going to have a contraflow cycle track coming from the right against the vehicular one way. Took out the long island in Bishops Way I put in back in 89 to improve the access to the new one way. Bit of a chicane to slow the fast fuckers down outside the park , a drop for the part time licenced ice cream man to get up to the park gates, a narrower zebra crossing for the old folk so they have less distance to cross, some echelon parking bays in Approach Road to replace the ones I'm deleting in Sewardstone and pinching down the new one way approaches in Approach Road and St James's Avenue.

image.png.e00ed61ce34b5ee11193f94b45a5883f.pngimage.png.9e85d2832093ac6661af82dd10736924.png

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Getting there slowly, sketched this up, new one way. Ran an articulated lorry through it on Autotrack to make sure it can get through and hatched it up the proposed new footways temporarily so I can explain to the politicians what I'm up to.

Going to have a contraflow cycle track coming from the right against the vehicular one way. Took out the long island in Bishops Way I put in back in 89 to improve the access to the new one way. Bit of a chicane to slow the fast fuckers down outside the park , a drop for the part time licenced ice cream man to get up to the park gates, a narrower zebra crossing for the old folk so they have less distance to cross, some echelon parking bays in Approach Road to replace the ones I'm deleting in Sewardstone and pinching down the new one way approaches in Approach Road and St James's Avenue.

image.png.e00ed61ce34b5ee11193f94b45a5883f.pngimage.png.9e85d2832093ac6661af82dd10736924.png

Complicated shit you do Yen! 

• Like 1

i used to walk to school.  two miles, uphill both ways, 4' of snow and -20 degrees.   Now, i cant fight my way past the SUVs dropping off the minions.  Probably the only time around here where a vehicle has more than one person in it.

• Like 7

On 22/09/2021 at 02:15, yen_powell said:

Capture8.JPG

Fellow nerd here! 🙂

image.png.04d1304e1304a29e8227647edbd75547.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

What do you do Rick?

I pretend to be a Civil Engineer.  Our company's specialty is private development, mostly.  Subdivisions, commercial and industrial buildings.  churches, schools, hospitals, ranches.  we just try to stay away from public sector work as it is a drag on your spirit.  The waste in public agencies would/should drive a normal person crazy!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, alfalfa said:

The waste in public agencies would/should drive a normal person crazy!!

The waste is the best bit, I don't just do it for the money and causing traffic jams, that's just the cream on the cake.

Going down there today hopefully, got to think about drainage, it's flat as a witches tit everywhere there and a large puddle when I've finished will make me look like a right dickydoodah.

The bloke who is doing another area up the road told me last night he's off at the end of next week. He was agency and interviewed for my job but didn't get it when he should have (two posts the same, not actually my own job) and they told him they couldn't guarantee to keep him on after March as agency. So he's off to Croydon for a longer term engagement and you can't blame him. I despair sometimes, we have lost a lot of people over the years we should have hung on to because HR dick about. Now we'll either get someone hopeless who needs to have it explained all over again or I'll be doing that one as well plus all the other stuff he was covering.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I did a one year stint at the Anchorage, Alaska Water Utility.  Great group of people to work for (in the design section).  Obviously focused on solving problems and helping people.  Management, on the other hand?  Their biggest contribution each year was figuring out where to throw the excess cash before June 1st, or their budget would shrink the next year.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

Their biggest contribution each year was figuring out where to throw the excess cash before June 1st, or their budget would shrink the next year.

For me it used to be April.  Every year in March my boss would ask me what I needed for the Lab , the fecker never let me buy a new bike though 😏

• Haha 4