Friday 13th morning out (Templar Barns)

yen_powell

I was out at a fake ELO concert last night and stayed over at my mate's house, so I was up and out at 7:30am this morning so he could go to work, I've got the day off so decided to head for a place 4 miles from home for a sit down in the sun whilst it was still out this morning.

Cressing Temple Barns was a Templar property until just after nearly all of them were arrested on Friday 13th 1307 when most medieval monarchs took the excuse to seize their property. This was a working farm until my local council bought it in the 1970s. It's a nice place to wander about and costs nothing to get in if no events are on.

They still have the receipts for the construction of the two larger barns, built in 1220 and 1280. I expect they are out of warranty now though. Apparently the tiles alone weigh around 70 tons.

20210921_113831.jpg

20210921_113932.jpg

20210921_114025.jpg

20210921_114152.jpg

20210921_114311.jpg

20210921_114314.jpg

20210921_114334.jpg

20210921_114357.jpg

20210921_114418.jpg

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Great shots Yen......but why does it have a wavy floor?

Spanish builders I heard.

Oak is cut whilst still green because it is bloody hard when it dries out. If there is any give in the framework then it will twist and warp. Hence some old timber frame cottages are quite straight, but most are on the wonk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great shots Yen, I love medieval carpentry, the  tools and materials of the time ( no power tools and no nails) dictating the design ( " function is form") rather then the inverse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MooN said:

Great shots Yen, I love medieval carpentry, the  tools and materials of the time ( no power tools and no nails) dictating the design ( " function is form") rather then the inverse. 

I only realised after I left that they have made a big change inside one of the barns. They used to have a metal platform and stairs at one end so you could stand right up amongst the roof beams to see them close up, with some of the makers marks and numbering systems highlighted. They also had sample jointed pieces of timber that visiting kids (and me) could pull apart and refit to show how the place was put together.

• Like 3