Bike suggestions

Slowlycatchymonkey

Im struggling to land on what bike for Spain. My first thought was the Himalayan but Mr Slowlys face at the thought of 24.5 bhp being his main bike was not a happy sight. 

I would prefer we had approximately the same power bike as if you're going to ride together the lower powered bike holds the faster one up anyway and they become frustrated. 

@XTreme suggests light is good for the rural roads in Spain. I think 200kg is the absolute max I can handle off tarmac but lighter would be better. Any suggestions for a sub 200kg bike that can be picked up cheaply, with decent bhp thats likely to be found with low milage?

Im thinking £3000 but could push it up to a max of £4000 if a bit extra would buy something better. Wotcha fink?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Im struggling to land on what bike for Spain. My first thought was the Himalayan but Mr Slowlys face at the thought of 24.5 bhp being his main bike was not a happy sight. 

I would prefer we had approximately the same power bike as if you're going to ride together the lower powered bike holds the faster one up anyway and they become frustrated. 

@XTreme suggests light is good for the rural roads in Spain. I think 200kg is the absolute max I can handle off tarmac but lighter would be better. Any suggestions for a sub 200kg bike that can be picked up cheaply, with decent bhp thats likely to be found with low milage?

Im thinking £3000 but could push it up to a max of £4000 if a bit extra would buy something better. Wotcha fink?

Buying here or there?

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That is currently undecided. Apart from the obvious time limits on having a UK registered bike in Spain does it matter?

You will get attention from the Law and they'll start sniffing round how long you've been here. You may have nothing to hide, but it would be better not to stick out like a sore thumb.

Plus you've got to transport it here.......and what happens when the MOT runs out? Not sure about insurance these days.....isn't it limited to 90 days or something?

There used to be a huge disparity in pricing between UK and Spain......bikes were much more expensive here. From what I hear it's not like that anymore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You will get attention from the Law and they'll start sniffing round how long you've been here. You may have nothing to hide, but it would be better not to stick out like a sore thumb.

Plus you've got to transport it here.......and what happens when the MOT runs out? Not sure about insurance these days.....isn't it limited to 90 days or something?

There used to be a huge disparity in pricing between UK and Spain......bikes were much more expensive here. From what I hear it's not like that anymore.

Have considered that stuff, it would only be a temporary measure to bring one from the UK anyway because you can only keep a UK registered vehicle here for 6 months of the year max, Id mot it before I brought it out and ride it back when the times up. It would provide a bike and breathing space while sorting out the NIE, bank account and proof of residence (certificado de empadronamiento).

Oh and grappling with sorting out insurance in a language Im yet to grasp.

Have considered that stuff, it would only be a temporary measure to bring one from the UK anyway because you can only keep a UK registered vehicle here for 6 months of the year max, Id mot it before I brought it out and ride it back when the times up. It would provide a bike and breathing space while sorting out the NIE, bank account and proof of residence (certificado de empadronamiento).

So you'd both ride bikes over?

And you can sort out Bank Account, Padron, and NIE in a day or so........that's very straight forward. 

It used to be the same with Residency....but not any more!

35 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

light is good in all cases 👌

8 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

What's your inside leg measurement @Slowlycatchymonkey

and before the perverts start it's an important factor when choosing a bike with off-road capability.

I honestly don’t know but 800mm is the maximum seat height I can manage and that’s not completely flat foot but it works.

I honestly don’t know but 80mm is the maximum seat height I can manage and that’s not completely flat foot but it works.

You can only get on a bike of 8cm.......take your pick then! :classic_laugh:

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Can you buy a Spanish registered bike? In France you need to have your residency permit before you can use a French registered vehicle on the road, or at least that's my understanding of it. Is it different there?

• Like 1

You do need three things as I understand it- and NIE (identifying number) your passport and some bit of paper that proves your at your address which must be dated within the previous 3 months. It’s sorting out the insurance Im not looking forward to.

• Like 1

A CRF250L will do all you're asking for or a Rally if you want a bit of weather protection.  Don't be worried by the seat height as they sink as soon as you sit on them.  The 23bhp won't over excite you but beleive me they thrive on revs and can be hustled along when needs must.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Tango said:

Can you buy a Spanish registered bike? In France you need to have your residency permit before you can use a French registered vehicle on the road, or at least that's my understanding of it. Is it different there?

You need residency for a new bike.......second hand just an identification number.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You do need three things as I understand it- and NIE (identifying number) your passport and some bit of paper that proves your at your address which must be dated within the previous 3 months. It’s sorting out the insurance Im not looking forward to.

Jennifer Cunningham

I've been with them for car, bike, and house since 2005.

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I honestly don’t know but 800mm is the maximum seat height I can manage and that’s not completely flat foot but it works.

Width of seat can make a difference as well my old CB1000 didn't have a high seat but it was wide and had me on tippy toes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Width of seat can make a difference as well my old CB1000 didn't have a high seat but it was wide and had me on tippy toes.

Yep Im alright on that height on a bench seat which arent narrow so 800mm is the max 👍

• Like 1

@Slowlycatchymonkey how about a second hand KTM690 Enduro R, fairly tall but again they sink a fair bit once you get on. Great bit of kit off road and plenty of grunt on the tarmac………but that seat is truly awful. Mind you, I rode mine from Burgos in the north of Spain to our house down here on the south east coast in one hit. Couldn’t walk properly for a couple of days 😝

Anyway, loved it and I’d have another in a heartbeat.

AA09D46A-8857-409A-9299-9DF5DDBFBA2B.jpeg

9F1A20A2-0526-4203-950E-CE217ADF57A1.jpeg

A04CD1B2-40D0-4B80-ABEC-EC07FCDF7990.jpeg

• Like 5

We have a selling site called Le Bon Coin, which has allsorts of bikes for sale. Is there an equivalent site in Spain? 

What about things like the XT600/660? Ah, forget that, it's light but far too tall.

4 minutes ago, Tango said:

Bmw g310 gs?

Not a lot of power for any sort of distance on that Bob!

Old XT's and DR's would be too tall! Plus they were withdrawn about 20 years ago so she'd have to buy something really old.

I still say the 650GS is the most logical choice!

• Like 1