Rat Run

Cupid Stunt

One of my oldest trail videos, this is the rat run from Resolven through to the playground, apologies for the crap quality, this was long before the days of HD helmet cams and was recorded on a camcorder, recorded by Mark and edited by me

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

‘Slag heap” that’s a real thing is it? Occasionally my dear ol’ pops would refer to a woman as a slag heap 😂

South Wales used to be full of slag heaps till the EU grants effectively cleaned up those old industrial areas!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, XTreme said:

South Wales used to be full of slag heaps till the EU grants effectively cleaned up those old industrial areas!

My first proper boss was from Aberfan. She was friggin scary, completely bald, hunch backed, spindly with eyes like fire, intolerant of stupidity and sharp as a knife. For some reason I still can’t grasp we got on well and in one of her softer moments she told me about the tip sliding into the school. It’s still gives me goosebumps now. 

Her father had to go to London for work for a year and took his family with him so she survived because she wasn’t there when it happened but all her classmates were dead.
They went back and she said the place never recovered. A black cloud hung over everything everyday. She was racked with guilt she survived, she’d bump into the parents of her friends who had all been killed and find it unbearable. It’s a historically shameful time. 
But as a result she turned into one of the most fearsome, unbeatable, powerhouses the NHS will ever see. So I suppose in a roundabout way she balanced out all that bad quite literally single handedly 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Their still about i was riding across two of them last Friday, only difference now is the trees have taken hold on a lot of them  so their not so open and don't look so ugly

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My first proper boss was from Aberfan. She was friggin scary, completely bald, hunch backed, spindly with eyes like fire, intolerant of stupidity and sharp as a knife. For some reason I still can’t grasp we got on well and in one of her softer moments she told me about the tip sliding into the school. It’s still gives me goosebumps now. 

Her father had to go to London for work for a year and took his family with him so she survived because she wasn’t there when it happened but all her classmates were dead.
They went back and she said the place never recovered. A black cloud hung over everything everyday. She was racked with guilt she survived, she’d bump into the parents of her friends who had all been killed and find it unbearable. It’s a historically shameful time. 
But as a result she turned into one of the most fearsome, unbeatable, powerhouses the NHS will ever see. So I suppose in a roundabout way she balanced out all that bad quite literally single handedly 😊

I remember it well. Prize giving day at school and one of the governors getting a call and asking for a minute's silence. Saw it all on the news later on. It was only eleven miles up the road. 😢

• Sad 2

i once went through a place called conset county durham and there was a steel works there, and everything was covered in red dust trees, cars , busses, buildings  all the roads and even people if they stood still for long enough not a healthy place to live 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

i once went through a place called conset county durham and there was a steel works there, and everything was covered in red dust trees, cars , busses, buildings  all the roads and even people if they stood still for long enough not a healthy place to live 

Pretty much the same near any steelworks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skyrider said:

My 1st wife came from that area, her cousin lived in Consett, we visited and stayed the night, and like you said, in the morning everything was red, like being on Mars.

14 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Its lovely and clean in Port Talbot just look at that beautiful deserted beach

IMG_3504.jpg.bf689db9ef19d7cdba41081f00f25b60.jpg

photo taken from on top of one of the shit tanks next door  😄

IMG_3505.jpg.eaf747cebc92a3981cce9d4624a8a79c.jpg

That water looks very different to how I remember it.

Used to go to Aberavon to watch the beach racing!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That water looks very different to how I remember it.

Used to go to Aberavon to watch the beach racing!

That's what I've been saying to you, since you left there's been a real drive to clean up all beaches and water courses, Welsh Water have been spending millions on schemes to clean and treat storm water to reduce the amount of debris entering the water courses and ending up in the sea. They also face massive fines if they spill without consent. One of the projects we are involved with is fitting monitoring devices on every spill point from welsh waters assets all over wales no matter how big or small so they can see if the works is failing and do something about it

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's what I've been saying to you, since you left there's been a real drive to clean up all beaches and water courses, Welsh Water have been spending millions on schemes to clean and treat storm water to reduce the amount of debris entering the water courses and ending up in the sea. They also face massive fines if they spill without consent. One of the projects we are involved with is fitting monitoring devices on every spill point from welsh waters assets all over wales no matter how big or small so they can see if the works is failing

That's going to change though.....

Government says polluters can dump risky sewage into rivers as Brexit disrupts water treatment

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Scotland have said they won't allow it.....not sure about Wales.

News like that would travel fast in work with us and i haven't heard anything and most of the storm water schemes don't use any chemicals it's fine screen filtered and UV treated so wouldn't be affected 

• Like 1

Me on Port Talbot beach in 2006

Paul used to have a great route through the dunes onto the beach.  We'd have a razz around the beach for about 15 minutes and then over the track by the edge of the steelworks with their security trying to chase us  :classic_laugh:

2146901973_porttalbotbeach029.jpg.e2d49078e009badcce6504c62a4686e9.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, skyrider said:

When I lived in Kent we used to occasionally go through Northfleet near to Gravesend. Everything there had a white dust film on it from the Blue Circle cement works. Blue Water shopping centre now sits in one of the old quarries. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's what I've been saying to you, since you left there's been a real drive to clean up all beaches and water courses, Welsh Water have been spending millions on schemes to clean and treat storm water to reduce the amount of debris entering the water courses and ending up in the sea. They also face massive fines if they spill without consent. One of the projects we are involved with is fitting monitoring devices on every spill point from welsh waters assets all over wales no matter how big or small so they can see if the works is failing and do something about it

It's a shame that NRW don't deal with river pollution from farming as severely.

I don't know how this move by the Senedd has progressed to date.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56255009

• Like 1