A pain in Spain

Slowlycatchymonkey

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It’s a gated compound which initially didn’t appeal but the inside of the square with the pool and green grass is well maintained and secure so that (and tbh the really low rent) won me over. This is a screenshot from Google maps of the part that faces outside. 

06FB58F8-3AD5-421E-999D-2CF895EBF52A.thumb.jpeg.babec32a9e789890dbd33c8430748c5f.jpeg

0052B0FC-9D8D-4922-9663-5FA66B4B502C.jpeg.6707bd4244a9d6291ab0a178c79fc808.jpeg

D41EAD5B-DBE0-41F5-BAFF-C69E74DE16AD.jpeg.6ea5bdfcb78663169b101905fb18a868.jpeg.0175ae9aff1e4a40c591de18390ccf22.jpeg

3D23F08E-5A59-47FC-BD36-10C96E74D2B6.jpeg.814bbbc872abb79c1f0fbc570d9a86fb.jpeg

0F582E50-C36B-4150-837F-E8ABEF9B71E8.thumb.jpeg.0cb271a49c1cc3114fb4ec485af1f121.jpeg

F9EFA975-183F-4BFC-90AC-43AD546D46EC.jpeg.8cc10950919951af7edde3f96eb33610.jpeg

BCADCC93-A633-4DBF-B48E-07025FE1BDF5.thumb.jpeg.394dccb733052af8c85e7ee402368ea1.jpeg

DAA2C59F-2089-40F2-87C4-D72C55B45BD3.thumb.jpeg.a7c2b6c1390e2d87058dbbb15a432ec6.jpeg

D58564D0-04D3-4BFB-9F6F-B26DCF995DDF.thumb.jpeg.1123acf1bf1956bbbbe676cd7f7d9303.jpeg

8C6416CB-F110-4941-91BE-ED2A51FE373A.thumb.jpeg.c69b9e67226d451bbb05c50e1fcfb88d.jpeg

AA433FC5-CF7C-4F30-B631-E37A1504F6C9.thumb.jpeg.21c6fc9c3a4e584671ce21dafcac8c4b.jpeg

0E2AB5B3-3AEA-4106-8455-F808831614EC.thumb.jpeg.0cc9ab87a60e3dadde75a8f3e73686fe.jpeg

09A731F5-BEF6-4BE8-9818-3836A91AE4F1.thumb.jpeg.eb43017e819c290bb3fb2d7daafd2472.jpeg

8E28FA2E-346B-4680-8DA1-94C9C1278CF4.thumb.jpeg.604481ebda254df8f882af45d0ca4483.jpeg

EB83D2C3-C20A-4953-A102-469D644335B7.thumb.jpeg.f3a97f68d351c72667b6aecc8cfac2d9.jpeg

658C71F3-877A-49AE-8DBA-AAB880A69AC3.jpeg.46b1f8cb12fd13f9030dba24731c31d5.jpeg

62054EB1-5D10-49A6-99F4-37DAF64513C5.jpeg

Glad I’m renting, the responsibility for sorting things out in the property and dealing with tradesmen in a language I don’t understand can definitely wait!

Tried multiple times to delete the below duplicated pic but it’s not having any of it. I’ll have one last go- nope bugger it!

it looks very nice hope you enjoy 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Six30 said:

So @Slowlycatchymonkey  have you moved there permanent leasing a place ? or are you doing 90 days then have to come back ?

The rental agreement is for 1 year (with an option to extend each year for up to 5 years) but we are still running a business in the UK so there’s not a chance we won’t be back within the prescribed 90 days and reaching the max of 183 days is also not happening for the next 5 years minimum but with the rent here for 6 months being less than the cost of a one week holiday for this lot there’s really no reason to delay starting up some life over here even if it is only a max of 6 months of the year.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The rental agreement is for 1 year (with an option to extend each year for up to 5 years) but we are still running a business in the UK so there’s not a chance we won’t be back within the prescribed 90 days and reaching the max of 183 days is also not happening for the next 5 years minimum but with the rent here for 6 months being less than the cost of a one week holiday for this lot there’s really no reason to delay starting up some life over here even if it is only a max of 6 months of the year.

sounds good, something we are thinking of doing in the future.... best of luck to the both of you .... enjoy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I don't know about Spain, but here you can apply for a 1 year visa as long as you meet certain criteria, ie, income to support yourself and private medical insurance. So, it may be the same or similar in Spain, if you decide to make things a bit more permanent. 😎 and not all expats are a pain in the arse! 😉😂😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tango said:

not all expats are a pain in the arse!

Spain corners the market in bottom feeders, grifters, and chancers Bob!

Most of whom have been here years but never paid any taxes, social security, IVA etc.

But the new system is now weeding them out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Most of whom have been here years but never paid any taxes, social security, IVA etc.

We often see on some of the Facebook groups those that are always looking for loopholes to get out of paying their way. Fortunately they tend to get short shrift from the people on there! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

While I was reading up on the pitfalls of moving to Spain I read an article about how so many people move back to the UK within 3 years. 

The expert on expats didn’t mince words. He said there are a few reason. The main one being “a lot of them are losers.”

They dont do any research so they don’t understand unemployment is high, they dont speak Spanish but assume that they will be given a job even though they can’t communicate but also consider themselves too good for cleaning villas or other unskilled work, they were losers back home who are running away from their mistakes but learnt nothing so come to Spain and repeat the same mistakes.

He said the expansive safety nets the UK has to stop people reaching the very very bottom of poverty dont exist in Spain, if you fall there will be no-one to catch you. 

Brutal ay, made me laugh, as I read it I thought Pete would love this, Spanish expat losers 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They dont do any research so they don’t understand unemployment is high, they dont speak Spanish but assume that they will be given a job even though they can’t communicate but also consider themselves too good for cleaning villas or other unskilled work, they were losers back home who are running away from their mistakes but learnt nothing so come to Spain and repeat the same mistakes.

Spot on!

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

While I was reading up on the pitfalls of moving to Spain I read an article about how so many people move back to the UK within 3 years. 

The expert on expats didn’t mince words. He said there are a few reason. The main one being “a lot of them are losers.”

He said the expansive safety nets the UK has to stop people reaching the very very bottom of poverty dont exist in Spain, if you fall their will be no-one to catch you. 

Brutal ay, made me laugh, as I read it I thought Pete would love this, Spanish expat losers 😂

I think that Spain, and to an extent France, made it too easy for people to fly below the radar, but they're really tightening up on it now, which is catching the grifters out. But many are living here legitimately, so have no issues. 

Realistic expectations are key to making a go of it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

Realistic expectations are key to making a go of it.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. I don’t have any expectations of Spain other than the notion it will be better weather for riding a motorbike. When I was about 10ish I wanted to know why my Dad never came on holiday, he explained that he didn’t go on holiday mainly because going on holiday was hassle and “you’re you where ever you are, if you’re unhappy it’s usually down to your expectations which is easy to fix, just change your expectations” and while I’ve gone in completely on the opposite direction of liking to travel about seeing different places and having new experiences his words stuck and for a lot of situations it works just dandy. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. I don’t have any expectations of Spain other than the notion it will be better weather for riding a motorbike. When I was about 10ish I wanted to know why my Dad never came on holiday, he explained that he didn’t go on holiday mainly because going on holiday was hassle and “you’re you where ever you are, if you’re unhappy it’s usually down to your expectations which is easy to fix, just change your expectations” and while I’ve gone in completely on the opposite direction of liking to travel about seeing different places and having new experiences his words stuck and for a lot of situations it works just dandy. 

I'm exactly the same. I like to travel to see new things, to experience different things and to meet different people. I'm still me, but I like to feel that I grow from these experiences, that it enriches my outlook on life.

I know that Pete jokes about lazy dagos, but who's got it right?

One of my old colleagues used to moan all the time about one of the other guys, calling him a lazy git, etc. "I'm out there working my arse off for 10-12 hours a day and I know that lazy git is back home by 4pm with his feet up!" So I asked him how many hours we were paid for? "37.5 hrs a week" How many hours does Frank work? " Well.......no more than 37.5 hrs!"  So, who's wrong? Just because Frank works the hours that he's paid and little more, but you work 20+hrs a week unpaid overtime, who's the mug? 

Lazy dago will probably live to 100 years old. 😉😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tango said:

I'm exactly the same. I like to travel to see new things, to experience different things and to meet different people. I'm still me, but I like to feel that I grow from these experiences, that it enriches my outlook on life.

One of my old colleagues used to moan all the time about one of the other guys, calling him a lazy git, etc. "I'm out there working my arse off for 10-12 hours a day and I know that lazy git is back home by 4pm with his feet up!" So I asked him how many hours we were paid for? "37.5 hrs a week" How many hours does Frank work? " Well.......no more than 37.5 hrs!"  So, who's wrong? Just because Frank works the hours that he's paid and little more, but you work 20+hrs a week unpaid overtime, who's the mug? 

I've found that if you want something done in Spain then speak to a woman!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tango said:

Damn right. 
Feel like I’m observing yet another culture that make the British look just a tiny bit uptight…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've found that if you want something done in Spain then speak to a woman!

A manager of mine in a company I worked for many years back got promoted to European Quality Manager. His job was to get all of the affiliates accredited to ISO standards for quality processes. All was going well with his job, until he went to Spain to get them accredited! After nearly a year there he threw his hands in the air and got a flight back to the UK! 😂😂😂

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Damn right. 
Feel like I’m observing yet another culture that make the British look just a tiny bit uptight…

Probably the main reason that we moved to France was to get away from the rat race. Yes, it can be frustrating getting things done here sometimes,  but that's because we haven't yet got into the rhythm. It's managing those expectations again! 😉😂😂

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tango said:

A manager of mine in a company I worked for many years back got promoted to European Quality Manager. His job was to get all of the affiliates accredited to ISO standards for quality processes. All was going well with his job, until he went to Spain to get them accredited! After nearly a year there he threw his hands in the air and got a flight back to the UK! 😂😂😂

I used to be a lab technician in a cigar factory in Bristol.  When Imperial tobacco decided to close our plant and move production to Spain we had some our equivalent workers from the Spanish factory come over to learn our tests and tecniques for quality control in the lab.  They threw their arms up in the air with shock when they asked how many different tests we did (200)  as they did just 10 :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

On 11/09/2021 at 23:30, XTreme said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3858259707597477&id=100002404568100

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tango said:

Can’t get into Facebook. Get locked out with password reset bollo everytime. I don’t think people understand that Ive genuinely gone the extra mile to wish them happy birthday on that vain shallow shitshow 😂

• Haha 3