Overland Event, somewhere near Oxford in darkest Ingurlund

Specs

27 minutes ago, XTreme said:

She's originally from Bristol isn't she......still got the accent!

Yes, Redland.   Although I don't think Lois's accent is half as thick as mine  :classic_laugh:  I ought to text/call her or Austin really as I believe she has long covid .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Yes, Redland.   Although I don't think Lois's accent is half as thick as mine  :classic_laugh:  I ought to text/call her or Austin really as I believe she has long covid .

Yes......she has suffered from that!

Austin had Covid as well but it had no effect! He probably done it's head in! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

@boboneleg

I remember the Cambridge Arms when I stayed in Redland for a month in June 71. Also the Kings Arms on the road to the centre, then The Wine Vaults (I think that was what it was called). The landlord had two fucking big Alsations to keep order!

In the centre I went in The Hatchet......it was full of Hookers and fucking villains by the look of it. Some bloke with his head split open was bleeding all over the bar!

And I got accosted by a load of Skinheads in the subway......and when they heard my voice the mood started to get a bit nasty. Me, just gone 17, on my own and about 10 stone soaking wet! And Welsh!

But having been blessed with a silver tongue, I told them I was Bristol born but the family moved to Wales for work when I was 5, and I was stuck in that shithole for 10 years! And now I sound like a fucking sheep shagging twat!

They had a good laugh at that, the mood softened, and they even invited me to go and see Bristol Rovers games with them! Eastville I think it was!

Good memories though.....I've always liked Bristol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

@boboneleg

I remember the Cambridge Arms when I stayed in Redland for a month in June 71. Also the Kings Arms on the road to the centre, then The Wine Vaults (I think that was what it was called). The landlord had two fucking big Alsations to keep order!

In the centre I went in The Hatchet......it was full of Hookers and fucking villains by the look of it. Some bloke with his head split open was bleeding all over the bar!

And I got accosted by a load of Skinheads in the subway......and when they heard my voice the mood started to get a bit nasty. Me, just gone 17, on my own and about 10 stone soaking wet! And Welsh!

But having been blessed with a silver tongue, I told them I was Bristol born but the family moved to Wales for work when I was 5, and I was stuck in that shithole for 10 years! And now I sound like a fucking sheep shagging twat!

They had a good laugh at that, the mood softened, and they even invited me to go and see Bristol Rovers games with them! Eastville I think it was!

Good memories though.....I've always liked Bristol.

The pub would have been the Highbury Vaults. You we’re lucky they were soft Rovers wankers, had they been City fans you definitely have got a kicking 😎😂

• Haha 2

I did a pub relief manager job in Bristol in a previous life. Can't remember where exactly, maybe southwest. Anyway it was a bit of an eye opener. Family had conjunctivitis and had to be off the premises.

Apparently the relief guy before me had a one armed bandit nicked, and an old clock off the wall. An old guy from across the road was telling me his hard luck story about his wife having died, trying for a free sympathy pint. He didn't know me very well 😂 Later on one of the barmaids told me that they used to see him out of the bedroom window beating the shit out of her. Yes. Bristol.

There last time I went there was a couple of years ago and stayed in a flat over my mate's son in law's shop. Pretty central as we walked everywhere. A great real ale pub across the road run by biker, and some idiot upset the HA there and took a pretty spectacular kicking. To be fair, he was a bit of an idiot. Of course the place emptied, the CCTV tapes disappeared before the cops turned up. Yes, Bristol.

I quite liked it! 

• Haha 4

I had to collect my son from a  wedding reception in Bristol to take him camping. No idea which bit I was in, but it was some sort of hotel and I could see the famous suspension bridge very close by which everyone said I should drive over as it was the best way to get to Devon. So I managed to get onto the thing. No sod had bothered to tell me you had to pay to cross it and did I have the right money, did I buggery. Me and my young son trying to find the right change amongst the darkest recesses of my car and camping gear with a queue behind me. I was also very surprised at how narrow the bridge is when you are actually on it.

edit. Did a youtube search to remind myself what it was like.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Tango said:

Awesome write-up mate. 

Yeah, I guessed that Ted Simon must have been knocking along a bit now. I guess I was about 22 when I first read Jupiter's Travels.

2101677313_IMG_20160102_1505293.thumb.jpg.73b2a2c73017e4a565ec3f6fea9981e2.jpg

Rover P6  ?

10 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Rover P6  ?

Yes, Bob. My brief dabble with cars before returning to the fold (until later, when I got a job with a company car). 😉👍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I had to collect my son from a  wedding reception in Bristol to take him camping. No idea which bit I was in, but it was some sort of hotel and I could see the famous suspension bridge very close by which everyone said I should drive over as it was the best way to get to Devon. So I managed to get onto the thing. No sod had bothered to tell me you had to pay to cross it and did I have the right money, did I buggery. Me and my young son trying to find the right change amongst the darkest recesses of my car and camping gear with a queue behind me. I was also very surprised at how narrow the bridge is when you are actually on it.

edit. Did a youtube search to remind myself what it was like.

It's better to cross it when you've got a 'jumper'  😱

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Revolver Records,  I used to get all my import stuff from there 👍

I bought Tarkus (ELP) there when it was released.

Couldn't play it till I got back to Swansea on the weekend though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice write up and pics @Specs Sorry I missed it, had tickets (and £50 worth of beer tokens 🙄) heyho theres always next year. Got ticked off with Mark Holmes book before I finished it, there was something wafty and vain about him that I found grating. 

When they added the Samaritans sign to the ends of the suspension bridge I couldn’t understand why you’d want to put such miserable signs on a great bridge with a lovely view…. doh 😆 Then they raised the sides to try n stop the suicidal who travel there from all over jumping (which spoilt the previously unencumbered view), what they dont realise is its not high enough to definitely kill you, it might but then again it might just cripple you instead.. brrrr!

The suspension bridge was supposed to have been adorned with glorious golden animals in the arches and topped golden lions but they ran out of money and so its stayed plain 😂 The original non suspension bridge design was pretty impressive but the ‘Bristol Bridge Riot’ occurred because some dodgy accounting was trying to be swept under the carpet and they wanted to collect more tax and tolls from everyone to pay for the bridge. 

I love this excerpt of the write up of the riot at the time-

“No steps were taken to reconcile these differing statements, no offer of submitting the trustees’ accounts for scrutiny; but relying on the strong hand, whilst the rentor’s term was as yet unexpired, they, on Saturday, September 28th, set up other gates. Mischief was brewing, it was Saturday night; many men were the worse for beer, others were soon made so; the faggots on the Welsh back lay handy, the sleepy “charlies” looked complacently on as a mob gathered, and from the wood- stacks carried and piled combustibles against the new gates, which were soon burned. Hundreds of curious passengers became on-lookers at the bonfire ; they were increased into a multitude, when the magistrates, attended by a party of the Herefordshire militia, marched up to take possession of the expiring embers.”

Pic of what was supposed to have been built until money and rioting was an issue.

A361486D-BEFD-4EEB-94DF-9DE1D5A4444F.thumb.jpeg.54657b0ce4ddabce0647ae0a098ea476.jpeg

There endeth the Brizzle history lesson for today 😊

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What does that mean? :classic_unsure:

Faggot- 

1. A bundle or bunch, and related senses. a. A bundle of sticks, twigs, or brushwood tied together for use as fuel. See also fire faggot n. at fire n. 

Welsh Back is an area and road in bristol.

• Like 2