Landscapes, Cityscapes, Waterscapes with or without bikes

Cupid Stunt

2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Gellionen Chapel

gellionen_chapel_sunset_hdr.thumb.jpg.27d1756b6d3e91049ca56e017e1813bf.jpg

Beautiful photograph.

I've seen a fair few of those chapels now and they never look like happy places. Maybe it was the weather affecting my mood.

• Like 2

I really like this one. On the Healy pass in County Cork. Looking across Glanmore lake and then across Kenmare Bay and the mountains of the Dingle peninsula on the horizon. A fantastic view on a great day.

5332DE70-97A2-4A01-89B7-8A3A3F75B897.thumb.jpeg.f71e1aded85eddf75ea974901e34c325.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Cap cloud over Mount Teide
I took this whilst out at sea on a catamaran going full pace crashing into the waves, I had to hang onto a post for dear life to try and get a steady shot

Mount Teide Cap Cloud FB.jpg

wow, it's like Pele invited you to a football tournament :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

........and an accident about to happen no doubt! :classic_wacko:

First person I ever knew with a drone, watched some footage that Terry did around Llyn Briane and thought he'd hired a helicopter at first :classic_laugh:

• Like 5

Bloody Hell, that reminded me Bob, went to check on the final score of the thread I started on RC Groups where I showed people how to modify that toy drone so it had full APM functionality inc flight paths (fully autonomus flight patterns) GPS waypoints, FPV, gimbal etc
Last time I looked it had around 4 million views, it's had 82,033 replies taking up 5,469 pages
Looks like they upgraded their systems and archived all the original stuff so the last post on the thread was Sept 2021

• Like 4

8 hours ago, boboneleg said:

First person I ever knew with a drone, watched some footage that Terry did around Llyn Briane and thought he'd hired a helicopter at first :classic_laugh:

First person I ever knew with a helmet cam!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, XTreme said:

First person I ever knew with a helmet cam!

I'm a tech innovator and early adopter, I used self made FPV gear on RC aircraft long before the term "drone" was commonly used to describe them, back then they were called multirotors/quadcopter/hexacopter/octocopters, but mostly I fitted kit to RC airplanes and had long range system that could get me up to 40 miles away (others had systems for much further, one guy did a record flight at (as I recall) 114 miles
Basically for me it's always been about photography/videography, pretty much anything I did had a camera strapped to it, with the FPV stuff it started with trying to figure out how I could get my GoPro into the air and I bought cheap toy helicopters to see what could lift it and fly with it and it went on from there right up to 3.5m powered gliders and ultra fast racers that could get up to 140mph

PS Pete
I was also the first person you knew with a sat nav on a bike
You hated them until I pointed out that it allowed me to ignore it and just ride wherever I wanted, going up any random turns I decided to investigate but then get me back to where I knew with no hassle as I would always be able to see where I am

My original on bike sat nav consisted of a compaq portable computer and a seperate bluetooth GPS unit, the Compaq had to be held in a huge yellow Otterbox case with Ram mounts to hold it on my handlebars
I was also the first person I knew of to have a GPS system for off road trails on a dirt bike using the same hardware above and early versions of Memory Map with OS mapping down to 1:25,000

My early helmet cams were basically a camcorder (tape type) with an analogue input into which I plugged a CCTV bullet cam which in turn was strapped to my helmet with velcro, the wires were run down into a "bum bag/fanny pack" this was standard definition of 640 x 480 recording

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I'm a tech innovator and early adopter, I used self made FPV gear on RC aircraft long before the term "drone" was commonly used to describe them, back then they were called multirotors/quadcopter/hexacopter/octocopters, but mostly I fitted kit to RC airplanes and had long range system that could get me up to 40 miles away (others had systems for much further, one guy did a record flight at (as I recall) 114 miles
Basically for me it's always been about photography/videography, pretty much anything I did had a camera strapped to it, with the FPV stuff it started with trying to figure out how I could get my GoPro into the air and I bought cheap toy helicopters to see what could lift it and fly with it and it went on from there right up to 3.5m powered gliders and ultra fast racers that could get up to 140mph

PS Pete
You hated them until I pointed out that it allowed me to ignore it and just ride wherever I wanted, going up any random turns I decided to investigate but then get me back to where I knew with no hassle as I would always be able to see where I am

My original on bike sat nav consisted of a compaq portable computer and a seperate bluetooth GPS unit, the Compaq had to be held in a huge yellow Otterbox case with Ram mounts to hold it on my handlebars
I was also the first person I knew of to have a GPS system for off road trails on a dirt bike using the same hardware above and early versions of Memory Map with OS mapping down to 1:25,000

My early helmet cams were basically a camcorder (tape type) with an analogue input into which I plugged a CCTV bullet cam which in turn was strapped to my helmet with velcro, the wires were run down into a "bum bag/fanny pack" this was standard definition of 640 x 480 recording

How much fuel did that helicopter carry to be able to do 120 miles? Must have been almost a bigger challenge than the radio signal!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pedro said:

How much fuel did that helicopter carry to be able to do 120 miles? Must have been almost a bigger challenge than the radio signal!

He used a powered glider not a helicopter but even so he had to be very skilled in gliding to preserve battery, bear in mind it was 114 miles each way, it took him all day to do it, must have been incredibly boring
Although my gear had far greater potential I personally never went further than 2 miles out, as my objective was videography it seemed pointless when I can just drive closer and launch from there

• Like 3

Here's one of my earlier flights
FPV over Three Cliffs Bay
I only went out about 1km here, all that was needed, on an old 1.4m Sky Surfer powered glider with my GoPro strapped on the nose and batteries moved back to balance it

At 3:41  3:46 you can see where I'm sat in my little chair on the flat field atop the hill remote flying the plane with my FPV goggles on

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

PS Pete

Yeh.....I remember all the wires and stuff you had strapped to you Terry! :classic_laugh:

That was near enough 17 years ago now!

• Like 1

I had a Garmin for Morocco in 2002. It only showed a direction arrow and grid references/distance to next waypoint, no maps. Worked though, each evening I would laboriously take grid references off my Michelin map (read the opposite way round to OS grids) and tap them into the GPS for each leg of the route and hope for the best. Works in a place where you are just following tracks and trying to work out the best way out of a remote village. Wouldn't stand a chance in somewhere like central London with one ways, no entries etc.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Today looking south towards Mazarron from the El Pareton area. Made me feel like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape. 😝

ABB2EF6B-CD84-4CDC-BAB3-38D552F81591.jpeg

McQueen didn't have a sheepskin seat cover Ray! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...