Tower of London and St Katherine's Dock

yen_powell

As I said earlier, rode 50 miles to my friends' house, parked up in their back garden then 9 of us, including 3 children got on the bus, then the train and entered The Tower dead on 10am as per our timed Covid style tickets.

We walked in as one of the Yeoman of the Guard ( a Beefeater) was doing his walk and talk tour so we joined on to that for a few locations then split up and wandered round individually. If you want a laugh, the youtube video gives you an idea of how good the Yeoman warders are, I think they choose only natural comedians or more likely, to have got that far in the armed forces before being chosen you develop a sense of humour. Pictures below, it's a big place in a small area. All pictures, apart from the St Katherine's dock ones, are taken inside the fortress. Some pictures show where the staff and their children live, what a strange life that must be.

20210820_104652.jpg

20210820_104656.jpg

20210820_104704.jpg

20210820_104723.jpg

20210820_104729.jpg

20210820_104734.jpg

20210820_105359.jpg

20210820_110440.jpg

20210820_111048.jpg

20210820_111813.jpg

20210820_111816.jpg

20210820_112458.jpg

• Like 3

Amongst the photos you will see a pimped cannon (for Tym), a three barrelled breach loading cannon, strangely square in form (for Tym) and a broken chair which is a result of a German spy being executed by firing squad in 1941. Apparently due to the low height of the bullet catcher, which I hope is a device and not a tradesman, he needed to be sitting down to be shot.

In the dock pics you will see some of the Queen's jubilee barge, I couldn't get far enough away to get it all in. Lots of gold leaf, can't believe no one has pinched it.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Brilliant shots Yen........the Yanks will jump at this shit!

I hope so, that's the only reason I took photos.

As you will know Pete, all Brits live in either a  castle or at the very least a house no younger than 300 years old and with a ghost in residence. We all sweep chimneys for a living and speak with unconvincing cockney accents most of the week except on Thursdays when we adopt a cut glass accent and wear a deer stalker and cape whilst assisting Scotland Yard in unravelling baffling crimes. We thrive on a diet of fish and chips during the week and grouse at weekends.

• Haha 4

Just now, yen_powell said:

I hope so, that's the only reason I took photos.

As you will know Pete, all Brits live in either a  castle or at the very least a house no younger than 300 years old and with a ghost in residence. We all sweep chimneys for a living and speak with unconvincing cockney accents most of the week except on Thursdays when we adopt a cut glass accent and wear a deer stalker and cape whilst assisting Scotland Yard in unravelling baffling crimes. We thrive on a diet of fish and chips during the week and grouse at weekends.

That's only the English Yen!

Us lot just play rugby, go down the pit, and shag sheep.

Not necessarily in that order though.

Seen this @Tym, @Earache, @alfalfa, @DesmoDog

• Haha 3

People think my house was built in the 1700's and has lead paint issues. Turns out its a kit house built in 1987

to look like a house from the 1700's, and is perfect reproduction  down to the H&L door hinges

butt no lead paint to bad eh? 

🤓

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Superb Ian, thanks for taking us around with you.  I've been outside the Tower but never been in, you've inspired me to visit sometime.

Inside Tower Bridge is good as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Earache said:

Pish - been there three separate occasions over the years  -and the Yeomen are pretty funny. It's a good tour though.

I even got to stand on some old dude's wall on one trip to the UK...

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_9125.JPG

IMG_9173.JPG

I've actually ridden along Hadrian's Wall, there's a section where it's just slightly raised above the ground and it's a byway so it can be ridden on.

I'll have to try and find the photos.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've actually ridden along Hadrian's Wall, there's a section where it's just slightly raised above the ground and it's a byway so it can be ridden on.

You hooligan.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Imagine if The Leg had fallen off?

You could have been in England and The Leg could have been in Scotland!

It don't bear thinking about!

• Haha 3

I went there a number of years back with a Canadian colleague who stopped over in London for the weekend on his way to Germany.  It's definitely very interesting, a good day out. 

• Like 2

I want to go and look round HMS Belfast at some point. Never been on that at all.

I'll speak to my mate at work and get another tour of the underground communications tunnel near Aldgate and Petticoat Lane, this time with a camera.

The Aldgate tunnel is Victorian and contains two giant gas pipes that you walk between with smaller pipes above. It is under the centre of the road and every side street has a street nameplate (often the street above has been renamed since) and matching side tunnel. To get into the side tunnels you have to go between the pipes which are like a giant old fashioned mangle. It has a dirt floor except for a narrow line of slabs with rat holes at the sides.

The Petticoat Lane tunnel crosses a council boundary, so we followed it along to a locked door with City of London written on it. Just thought of a story to do with that, so will pop to that thread.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I want to go and look round HMS Belfast at some point. Never been on that at all.

I'll speak to my mate at work and get another tour of the underground communications tunnel near Aldgate and Petticoat Lane, this time with a camera.

The Aldgate tunnel is Victorian and contains two giant gas pipes that you walk between with smaller pipes above. It is under the centre of the road and every side street has a street nameplate (often the street above has been renamed since) and matching side tunnel. To get into the side tunnels you have to go between the pipes which are like a giant old fashioned mangle. It has a dirt floor except for a narrow line of slabs with rat holes at the sides.

The Petticoat Lane tunnel crosses a council boundary, so we followed it along to a locked door with City of London written on it. Just thought of a story to do with that, so will pop to that thread.

Now you're talking Yen!

Underground tunnels and rats.......get in there my man!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Here you go, 2013 .  My mate Steve with his KTM and my old DR350.  This part of the wall is levelled, you can see a raised section in the background.  I never use to believe  peeps when they used to say that you can ride on part of Hadrian's wall but there it is.

922414841_XRVRally2013KirkbyStephen010.thumb.JPG.58ddb9a8ac9c361dbc95b1b342f55699.JPG

• Like 6

On 23/08/2021 at 18:55, Earache said:

Pish - been there three separate occasions over the years  -and the Yeomen are pretty funny. It's a good tour though.

I even got to stand on some old dude's wall on one trip to the UK...

I've been to the same wall but can't find pictures now. It was a day trip while we were in Scotland. 

I tried to rent a Jeep but they didn't have any, so I told them to give me whatever they had sitting around.  This thing didn't work so well off road. Stayed with some friends at some quaint little place out in the woods. 

Scot_4671.jpg

P1010189.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

Now you're talking Yen!

Underground tunnels and rats.......get in there my man!

I've sent him an email a few minutes ago and he said they are doing both tunnels soon, just waiting for dates from the contractor. I have replied that I will start padding my boy bits now, it might be because I'm doing it wrong, but those harnesses always rub me up the wrong way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I've sent him an email a few minutes ago and he said they are doing both tunnels soon, just waiting for dates from the contractor. I have replied that I will start padding my boy bits now, it might be because I'm doing it wrong, but those harnesses always rub me up the wrong way.

Top man Yen! We'll all be with you in spirit! :classic_laugh: