Fred's Monster

Sir Fallsalot

51 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I paid €1400 for this in 2010.......1996, 29k kms, and completely original.

dr50.jpg

The key thing here is 2010 it is now 2021. i paid £1600 for my XR400 in 2008 and you wont buy a tidy one for less than £3000 now 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

@Catteeclan Did you find out what caused the cam wear on yours 

Same as yours Fred. I checked out the feed pipe after an engine rebuild but after 7 thou I got the ticking tappets.
I've been told the "over heating" oil buggas the rubber but I think it's more old age. It's been a prob with Honda on the xl600s too.
There's also been a couple of casings fail behind the oil filter too but that's on the Italian crap ones.

I'm watching with interest your mod. Think I'd try a circle of pipe to absorb vibration if there was room. Bloody tight spot to mess with.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

There's also been a couple of casings fail behind the oil filter too but that's on the Italian crap ones.

Talking of Italian crap ones mine is an Italian import and that would explain this

191218975_3679152302191274_1480691925017165935_n.thumb.jpg.8a971279dd93f6e2bcdde01feea300f3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

I'm watching with interest your mod. Think I'd try a circle of pipe to absorb vibration if there was room. Bloody tight spot to mess with.

I was thinking the flexible part of the pipe was to allow you to get at the frame oil screen without removing the whole pipe but vibration is something i was thinking about 

• Like 1

All this talk of DR isn’t really fair or helpful on poor Dog, fighting to live for ages while dealing with oil starvation while Fred tries to kill it on some god forsaken mud pits :classic_sad:

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Finally decided to strip the rocker cover off and order some of the parts i need. The cam followers arrived yesterday  and i fitted them but after removing the shafts that hold them in place i find some scuffing on them. they will probably be ok but i cant bring myself to use them with the new parts so there's something else to buy 

This id the old and new parts just a small amount of wear on the old bits :classic_laugh:

!cid_B82D6F92-0ED2-4A18-B5FD-F49FDBC8BE8A.thumb.jpg.cc1228dd55225ff0051937b2b0d25345.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Finally decided to strip the rocker cover off and order some of the parts i need. The cam followers arrived yesterday  and i fitted them but after removing the shafts that hold them in place i find some scuffing on them. they will probably be ok but i cant bring myself to use them with the new parts so there's something else to buy 

This id the old and new parts just a small amount of wear on the old bits :classic_laugh:

!cid_B82D6F92-0ED2-4A18-B5FD-F49FDBC8BE8A.thumb.jpg.cc1228dd55225ff0051937b2b0d25345.jpg

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Horrendous the amount of damage done in so little time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Horrendous the amount of damage done in so little time.

Yes the camshaft doesn't look as bad but it is.
I think I've been scammed on a camshaft the price is too good to be true but it's also too good to ignore. I've paid with PayPal so my cash should be safe  going to give it another week to arrive and then start the proceedings to get my cash back really hoping its for real though

https://www.getimem.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=801263

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I think I've been scammed on a camshaft the price is too good to be true but it's also too good to ignore. I've paid with PayPal so my cash should be safe  going to give it another week to arrive and then start the proceedings to get my cash back really hoping its for real though

If you get it for that price it's the steal of the century :littleguy:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Don't blame you for trying them. Don't think you'll get a secondhand one for that money.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

You found the cause so all should be well.
I undo the cam oil feed ever now and again, makes mess but does show the oil heading upwards.

I'm thinking about any other damage caused by the lack of oil that i don't know about yet. As for the the oil feed pipe i'm in the process of putting a temporary oil pressure gauge on there and once i know what pressure it runs fitting a permanent pressure switch with warning light

Something like this on the dash will do i think :classic_laugh:

festival lights GIF by Underworld 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I just looked up the price of a cam from Honda

awkward-shocked.gif.405e706eaafa5f4449030235217b70dd.gif

Trouble is Bob it wasn't just the cam it was the rocker arms and the rocker arm shafts as well i saved myself about £40 buying from Dave silvers but still a lot of cash. The parts alone are almost what i paid for the bike 10 years ago

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Trouble is Bob it wasn't just the cam it was the rocker arms and the rocker arm shafts as well i saved myself about £40 buying from Dave silvers but still a lot of cash. The parts alone are almost what i paid for the bike 10 years ago

I really hope it's worth it Fred , the thing is that bike has served you very well in the past :littleguy:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I'm thinking about any other damage caused by the lack of oil that i don't know about yet. As for the the oil feed pipe i'm in the process of putting a temporary oil pressure gauge on there and once i know what pressure it runs fitting a permanent pressure switch with warning light

Something like this on the dash will do i think :classic_laugh:

festival lights GIF by Underworld 

In my experience it's always the cam etc that suffers, crank seems to manage the shortage. Unless you run it out of oil.
Like the oil switch idea.:littleguy:  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I really hope it's worth it Fred , the thing is that bike has served you very well in the past :littleguy:

If it works it will be worth it to me. To replace it there are only two bikes i can think of that will do and one is the XR650L and the other is the DR650 but i'd have to spend thousands to buy either of those rather than the hundreds to get this thing going

• Like 1

A few new organs to transplant into the monster were waiting for me when i got home from work tonight not much there for £534 😩

IMG_2922.thumb.JPG.11ca4d604eaae21e9ba72c718e3a6305.JPG

After a few hours on the operating table the monster lives again lets hope it lives longer than a KLR this time. I'll finish putting it together tomorrow night take it for a short run then drop the oil and hopefully an MOT on Thursday 

• Like 2