Fred's Monster

Sir Fallsalot

I think if i was Frankenstein the dog would be my monster.:classic_laugh:

So as said earlier in the week the dogs oil pump was starved of oil due to a suspected collapsed oil pipe this is it cut open its squashed when straight and when fitted its bent so definitely the problem

IMG_2424.thumb.JPG.71b3c6119d315eeb8ba4092bc98e60d4.JPG

Making a solid pipe artery to the heart of the dog has failed for the moment as my flaring tool wont work on the stainless pipe, What i made fits but wont seal at the frame. I haven't given up on it though just put it aside until i find out how the dog runs if and when i resurrect it

IMG_2430.thumb.JPG.807efde136ffe71d17a67ff1a1565ab7.JPG

In the meantime I got the new second hand oil pipe and after fitting the blood was running from the frame to the dogs heart freely.Turning the engine over with the CDI disconnected had the dogs life bloody up in it's head after messing about a bit getting rid of air locks which i was quite pleased about

After this it was time to bring the dog to life i reconnected its brain and switched on the power and guess what

Really chuffed It don't sound bad at all, i shall recheck the tappets tomorrow and then release it into the wild to see if it survives 

• Like 8

Nice work Fred, that looked a pretty flow of oil and the engine sounded fine so hopefully the dog lives for another day.   Perhaps a trip to the Dragon Rally in 2022 ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Nice work Fred, that looked a pretty flow of oil and the engine sounded fine so hopefully the dog lives for another day.   Perhaps a trip to the Dragon Rally in 2022 ?

The bike might be ok but I'm not sure i will make it the friday night has fucked me up the last few years you should try there its a good night of naughtiness :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

I'm sure you know the fact you had to adjust the tappet clearances that there's trouble up top. I had one myself that'd worn through the hardening on the cam.:classic_sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

I'm sure you know the fact you had to adjust the tappet clearances that there's trouble up top. I had one myself that'd worn through the hardening on the cam.:classic_sad:

Yup i'm just going to ride it and see how it goes i'm not willing to invest in a new cam and followers only to find out the bottom end needs work after. If it all turns out good but i have to keep adjusting valve clearances i'll do something about it for now the dog is on probation

• Like 2

Put it all back together today and went for a ride and as a result i had a few observations 

First thing was my waterproofs are no longer waterproof got bloody soaked need some new ones for the winter 

The bike had a clutch judder pulling off when the bike was cold it started happening just before i did the cam chain this has now gone now, i did put it down to cooking the clutch going over Barmouth hills many years ago the metal plates in there are blue and thought its on its way out, but i'm more inclined to think it was dry clutch plates from lack of oil now

After the cam chain replacement i noticed the bike was running a lot cooler than it used to on the dipstick temperature gauge i did think this was down to me giving the carb a good clean and thought there might have been a blocked jet before which made the bike run lean it is now back to the temperature it used to run at. i think it was because there was very little oil being circulated around the engine so the oil never got that hot in the tank

on the way home the ticky noises returned so i will be checking the valve clearances again tomorrow just to check that is still the noise i am hearing and nothing else has developed on the ride. I'm beginning to think my worn out cam chain and guides was down to this oil problem and not old age as first thought

Apart from that the bike ran flawlessly and seems the bottom end has survived. Now i don't know what to do if there was a new 650 single out there like the DR650 or XR650L i think i would be purchasing it right now because i'm fed up working on them, all i want to do is ride 

what i do know is there's going to be some desperados going down the hatch tonight

beer bottle GIF by Justin Gammon

• Like 4

I know what you're saying about getting fed up with working on it Fred.  In the end I replaced my DR350 with the Rally as there was always something that needed doing.

There is a DR650 for sale in Exeter Fred but it's a bit overpriced if you ask me , it's difficult to find the sort of bikes we like now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154545170226?hash=item23fb9c2732:g:SyMAAOSwU5hg~pe9

Edit :  I just seen this on ebay Fred.  It's not far from me and the bloke was asking £4995 for it earlier in the year.  Personally I think that's a great opportunity right there, it's already got a big tank on so it's just a case of fitting out how you want it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373672678372?hash=item5700a093e4:g:4esAAOSwzihhDBbx

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

I know what you're saying about getting fed up with working on it Fred.  In the end I replaced my DR350 with the Rally as there was always something that needed doing.

There is a DR650 for sale in Exeter Fred but it's a bit overpriced if you ask me , it's difficult to find the sort of bikes we like now.

LOL i was looking at that earlier i need to make room before i get another. There's just nothing new out there i like unless it's a chinky bike but the problem with that is it's a chinky bike 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

He's having a laugh surely?

And WTF sort of pipe is that on it?

12 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Edit :  I just seen this on ebay Fred.  It's not far from me and the bloke was asking £4995 for it earlier in the year.  Personally I think that's a great opportunity right there, it's already got a big tank on so it's just a case of fitting out how you want it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373672678372?hash=item5700a093e4:g:4esAAOSwzihhDBbx

Tempting but the comments saying the bike does not start and engine rebuild has alarm bells ringing knowing what i know about mine 

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

He's having a laugh surely?

And WTF sort of pipe is that on it?

He'll probably get that price for it if he's prepared to wait, these bikes don't come up every day in UK . With that mileage I'd give him £2,800 for it.  The silencer looks like a GSXR item, a common mod on those bikes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Tempting but the comments saying the bike does not start and engine rebuild has alarm bells ringing knowing what i know about mine 

Yes, I jumped a bit quick before reading that.  If it comes with an ECU , why haven't they fitted it (5 minute job) to see if it starts and runs 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Yes, I jumped a bit quick before reading that.  If it comes with an ECU , why haven't they fitted it (5 minute job) to see if it starts and runs 😉

It will still sell for stupid money if it was proper non running money i could have sacrificed parts off the dog to get it sorted but then i'm fixing things again 

11 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

He'll probably get that price for it if he's prepared to wait, these bikes don't come up every day in UK . With that mileage I'd give him £2,800 for it.  The silencer looks like a GSXR item, a common mod on those bikes.

I paid €1400 for this in 2010.......1996, 29k kms, and completely original.

dr50.jpg

Just now, XTreme said:

I paid €1400 for this in 2010.......1996, 29k kms, and completely original.

dr50.jpg

I paid £1495 for my first one about the same time.  Things have changed, as bikes have got more and more complicated these bikes have become more sought after and the price reflects that now.

My mate sold his earlier in the year (fully kitted and ready to travel) for £4995 :classic_ohmy:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I paid £1495 for my first one about the same time.  Things have changed, as bikes have got more and more complicated these bikes have become more sought after and the price reflects that now.

My mate sold his earlier in the year (fully kitted and ready to travel) for £4995 :classic_ohmy:

Still stuff like THIS available here!

37 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Still stuff like THIS available here!

Yes, but that's the previous model . Different engine , in fact a totally different bike, they are not very desireable.

• Like 2