Montana , July 2021

Earache

Headed out to Montana today, should get there by Saturday.

I'm going to try to do this ride report a bit differently; rather than take 100's of pics of my bike in front of something, I'm gonna try to take pics of the guys, the food, pics off the bike,  the beers and the towns we visit. Try to make it  a bit more interesting.

It might really suck - you've been warned.

The route outline...

trip outline.jpg

• Like 8

That sounds great Eric.  I know a bit about Colorado and Utah but know nothing of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho (apart from watching cowboy films :classic_laugh:)

How long is the complete trip ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That sounds great Eric.  I know a bit about Colorado and Utah but know nothing of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho (apart from watching cowboy films :classic_laugh:)

How long is the complete trip ?

Should be about 3,000 miles-ish and we'll be gone for 7 days. have a couple of days off in Anaconda, Montana midway through the ride.

Most of Wyoming and Montana are flat as shit with virtually nothing there. Lots of high speed miles there. And it's always windy as Hell, too. Should be fairly hot in the flat areas and I'm kinda looking forward to that. 40F / 7C here now so it'll be cold as we take off. Gonna be around 100F / 38C when we get up there...might  have to drink lots of beer!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Wow, that's a helluva difference in temps :classic_wacko:

Yup - it's all about the elevation. From 10,000' at my house to 4.000' across the flats makes for some big temperature swings.

Looking forward to seeing the trees and forests of Wyoming😁. Pic from a couple of years ago...

2.jpg

• Like 5

serious question:  what's the purpose of this trip?  meaning,  you staying on asphalt, or looking for some dirt?  (i might have some ideas....)

• Like 1

Up early yesterday and had to get about 75 miles south of my house to meet up with my riding bud Phil. Dodging the wildlife in our area; juvenile moose...

IMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5958.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

• Like 5

But I eventually made it to the restaurant where we were going to meet. It was at this time we found out that Tom wasn't going to be able to meet us until noon. So we ended up sitting in  the restaurant for 4 hours while we waited. Fun.

Remnants of a breakfast burrito with green chile...

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5963.JPG

DSCN4704.JPG

• Like 5

We leave at noon and have 400 miles to do. This isn't gonna be much fun. And naturally it rained a good portion of the way across Wyoming. With high winds, too. Nice!

One of the sunnier moments in Wyoming in the deep forest...

IMG_5967.JPG

DSCN4709.JPG

DSCN4710.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, alfalfa said:

serious question:  what's the purpose of this trip?  meaning,  you staying on asphalt, or looking for some dirt?  (i might have some ideas....)

I'm gonna try to find as much dirt as possible.

Phil (BMW GS) has little touring experience and not much on dirt. Tom is on a BMW RT that he rented and little experience as well. But I'll peel off on my own as I can to ride dirt. Tom's father is following along in his Jeep and meeting us at hotels at night. He can't ride but wanted to come along for the beers each night. Can't fault his logic!

We are in Rock Springs, Wyoming now and headed to Idaho Falls, Idaho today. Not sure of the route just yet.

• Like 5

On 16/07/2021 at 15:43, Earache said:

No, he goes his own way and meets us at the hotel each night.

No word for a couple of days? All OK there Eric?

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

No word for a couple of days? All OK there Eric?

Sorry, internet has been non-existent over the past 3 days. It's a fairly new invention in this part of the country.

• Like 1

Our hotel reservations got messed up and we didn't have a room for Friday night. Luckily got one of the last rooms in town at the Hotel Shithole in Rock Springs. Wyoming.

Phil has a BMW and proved his twat-ness by bringing a bike cover for it...

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3