Left Home On 2 Wheels, Returned In 4

Grasshopper

Last weekend we decided to take the Himalayans for a ride to a local lake we enjoy.

Nothing out of the ordinary, just a nice ride through the forest with a short stop at the lake and then home.

That was the plan, Plan A we will call it!  :littleguy:

The riding was really dusty.  After the heat wave we had the back roads were extra dry and loose, a bit tricky to ride on, but still fun.

23E1D647-9E94-4FB6-BD59-7876401EC86C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e2d298bfcadb8e4a451fb4cddc52aff3.jpeg

We made it to the lake and it was a splendid day.  The bikes were running great.  Not too hot yet, still early in the day and no one was around.

The lake looked so nice and it was really warm. 🌞

AD803051-04CA-4BE3-825C-68122308CA4A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ee6ac10852cc637c4123add45b0b7ca6.jpeg

B0FD1771-DDDB-4A1A-A8B0-F897ECC244F8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.54a11617b73fa1e8464154a09269280f.jpeg

After a nice break we decided to head home.  Got all ready, turned the key, dash lights on.....hit the go button and POOFF!!  DEAD, nothing....NO GO 😬

58EEA723-7484-4EA9-972B-938C8A0D1484_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b99b10f8a5e45a81f838c684568b4165.jpeg

So the jackets and helmets came off and we proceeded to try and find the problem.  We did all the usual stuff, checked all we could check and still found nothing.  Bagheera was dead. 🙁

The day was getting on and we needed to get home for our dog, so Plan B started. 

Let's try to tow the bike home. 🤔

Well that didn't last long, the other Himalayan just didn't have enough power for the loose gravel hills we had to go up.

I had never towed a bike with another bike, so it was a good learning experience at least. :littleguy:

.....so onto Plan C 

One person goes home and brings back the 4Runner and we try and stuff Bagheera into the back somehow.  Sure, no problem, only 450lbs to lift up and stuff in.....🥴

So my partner went home and I waited with Bagheera, removing as many extra parts as I could, to help with the stuffing into the 4Runner. 

B67A28D1-A411-4D88-A433-201E391506B0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f581b91a0ccd7cd70e4b2d2c41abce7a.jpeg

After some time, my knight in a dusty 4Runner appeared to save the day.

It was then that I had a feeling that my Gazoo (the 4Runner) would never be the same after that day.  But he did look good in rescue mode. 😎

E3C3CED9-7C12-4ED0-92AF-9A9669C6BC2F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.23bca373c2276836c9805c94e2f66354.jpeg

696BEF28-9648-462B-8C4A-C1254A81974E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.53db72a169f5a0749292fb28f8b2c4ec.jpeg

Ok, now to make this work.  Sure it will fit!  🙃 

We removed the gas from Bagheera and got into a spot where we didn't have to lift too far.

We got out our awesome MAXTRAX MKII Recovery Boards, which I have been wanting to use and proceeded to lift and push....

A90ECD7B-4D4F-4C48-8817-EA08640C5609_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5a317056e22cff337e479c9cd018f269.jpeg

It was hard because we needed the handle bars to lift the bike, but he wouldn't fit in with them on........we also needed to lift him up and over the rear area, how the hell will this work?.......I was getting hot and grumpy by this point.  😡

Then the motorcycle spirits came to our aid. 🌞

After a few people passing, who were nice and all, but would not be useful in these circumstances, we had just the right guy come by.  He was an old long hair, with a big old pickup and two dogs.  After shaking his head at our idea and smiling to himself, he was happy to help. 

Eventually the three of us managed to stuff Bagheera into the 4Runner.  Damaging who knows what, but at that point I didn't care.

AA8572C6-E7EA-4DFD-893B-BD0D936A572D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9a73ab293d1726185bcd0a2cb7322e71.jpeg

Of course we could not close the rear hatch and with the dusty roads, we all looked like we had been caught in a sandstorm when we got home.  Everyone was hot, dusty and tired now. 

The 4Runner was a total mess, layers of dust, dents in things, the rear bumper for one.  The floor over the back seats had some holes in them as well. 

Which is all good, I have been wanting to rip the back seats out for awhile now.  Then build in some storage for camping and 4x4 travels.  Who needs back seats....lol

Bagheera had a few scratches from the drive and his shifter was totally bent in, but I should have replaced it the first time it bent after a fall.....

At this time Bagheera's electrical gremlins have yet to be found.  I have a few ideas, but nothing conclusive. 

All part of the adventure with Bagheera, the cursed Himalayan......👹  🥴  

7372A225-C65C-4A3D-AF67-D8381CC22C84_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.49ba5a6acd1abf5d3ccdaec9e712bc5a.jpeg

413CAA10-5524-40A9-8EF4-71C9290D85F8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8b65b89e1b643fcce5b777a8f7dccebe.jpeg

D176B880-502A-495E-922C-49A295A5FE9D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.badc976531859766983730fe58cdfdeb.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hope its easily sorted Michelle, obviously you will have checked all fuses you can get to? I would see about replacing them if you can now your home for known good ones, from there id then suggest checking the wiring around the ignition barrel as they could be the culprit, after that it is delving deeper into the wiring loom to check for any breaks so I hope you have either alot of patience or someone knowledgeable who does.

Good luck with him 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Don't you have motorcycle recovery cover on your insurance?

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN.   Recovery insurance........lol

Sorry, no.  That is not really an option for us.  We do have a thing here, where you can get a membership and be towed to the nearest garage or have them bring you gas, etc....  Works if you are on a main road.

Not so helpful where we were, we don't even have a cell signal back there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richzx6r said:

Hope its easily sorted Michelle, obviously you will have checked all fuses you can get to? I would see about replacing them if you can now your home for known good ones, from there id then suggest checking the wiring around the ignition barrel as they could be the culprit, after that it is delving deeper into the wiring loom to check for any breaks so I hope you have either alot of patience or someone knowledgeable who does.

Good luck with him 

All the normal things have been checked.  I do have experience with this sort of thing, unfortunately.

After looking over every wire I discovered a problem at the bottom of the ignition switch, a known trouble area for this bike.

I have fixed it now, and that seems to have fix one problem, but there is another.......

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN.   Recovery insurance........lol

Sorry, no.  That is not really an option for us.  We do have a thing here, where you can get a membership and be towed to the nearest garage or have them bring you gas, etc....  Works if you are on a main road.

Not so helpful where we were, we don't even have a cell signal back there.

That's about the only thing i really worry about when out on my own its not what it should be as in falling and getting injured its what happens if i break down i have recovery but some of the places the bike would have to be air lifted out i don't think that's included in my cover

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's about the only thing i really worry about when out on my own its not what it should be as in falling and getting injured its what happens if i break down i have recovery but some of the places the bike would have to be air lifted out i don't think that's included in my cover

I've never needed to use it......but it's peace of mind knowing it's there!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

All the normal things have been checked.  I do have experience with this sort of thing, unfortunately.

After looking over every wire I discovered a problem at the bottom of the ignition switch, a known trouble area for this bike.

I have fixed it now, and that seems to have fix one problem, but there is another.......

One thing to check is that it hasn't smoked the starter motor if its still not turning over, either that or you have another short somewhere in the loom.

Good luck Michelle 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Six30 said:

Why didn’t you get on bike and   tow it with the truck ?

We just had too far to go and it was really hot out.  We needed to get home, so took the fastest way to get there.  Maybe next time. 😆

So after a bunch of tests I believe I have found the problem.

It was a combination of things.  First the ignition switch wiring was an issue.  Fixed that, but was still having power supply issues.

I just bought a new battery in April, so it couldn't be that.... right?????

Well you learn something every day.

As a Canadian you are taught from a young age that winter kills things that go.  Batteries in the cold, bad, etc....

But I never really thought about the heat and batteries, it is never that hot here.

Unfortunately we experienced a heat wave recently and the temps reached the mid 40's in my yard for a few days in a row.

With the bikes under covers they must have been cooking, battery included.

Both bikes were affected, but of course only Bagheera died completely.

I guess another new battery is in order.  It was a very interesting electrical experience at least. :littleguy:

• Like 4

I too wouldn't have expected such a young battery to have such complete failure. 

Glad you have got to the bottom of it.....hopefully.

Hopefully its not fried the reg/rec in the process 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1