Seasidey, castley, fortey type stuff

yen_powell

As I had put my tyres on yesterday, today was a test ride to make sure my wheel weren't going to fall off, nor the tyres deflate.

I was going to take a ride to Canterbury, never been there, my licence has, some nonsense about not being allowed to cross double white lines, but I haven't. The weather report (lying fuckers) suggested that it was going to rain in Kent, so instead I decided to take a look at a bit of Suffolk coast. The pictures below, in no particular order are, Bawdsey Beach, then the old WW2 defences at Bawdsey Hall, plus the Napoleonic era defences at the same place. I thought there was only a single Martello tower, but walking back to my bike I saw what appeared to be two more across the fields. Finally Orford Castle.

As I was approaching Bawdsey, the first thing I saw was what appeared to be yachts sailing across a field.

P1300072.JPG

P1300074.JPG

P1300076.JPG

P1300077.JPG

P1300081.JPG

P1300082.JPG

P1300084.JPG

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Brilliant Yen! Are those Pill Boxes?

When I was a kid they were littered across Swansea Bay!

Pillish. Apparently most of them have been washed away here. They used 6 inch Royal Navy guns taken from scrapped WW1 ships, in case ze Germans came across the North Sea.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Pillish. Apparently most of them have been washed away here. They used 6 inch Royal Navy guns taken from scrapped WW1 ships, in case ze Germans came across the North Sea.

Did you splash about in the mess there?

17 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

No fear, didn't look too clever down there.

Letting the side down there Yen......sometimes you gotta take one for the team!

What you say @Clive?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Wtf? Is that a skyscraper castle?

Looks like it eh. And they didn't even have lifts.

Orford Castle is a castle in Orford in the English county of Suffolk, 12 miles (19 km) northeast of Ipswich, with views over Orford Ness. It was built between 1165 and 1173 by Henry II of England to consolidate royal power in the region. The well-preserved keep, described by historian R. Allen Brown as "one of the most remarkable keeps in England", is of a unique design and probably based on Byzantine architecture. The keep stands within the earth-bank remains of the castle's outer fortifications.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Took me a while to find this thread, but I knew I'd been there when I saw the article.

In today's paper one of the buildings in my run report is up for sale. 160k to you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-12372761/Grand-Designs-World-War-Two-tower-holiday-home-views-zero-bids-sale.html

P1300099.JPG

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Or windows 

It has a few small windows all around its a lookout tower which would be no good without windows LOL
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0089513,1.4326045,3a,60.7y,70.08h,91.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9slJfUNSmgw2bsZSiI2k3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu