Shinko Motorcycle Tires: Everything You Need to Know

Peon Maface

rssImage-a45173f6e998d09860199370106ada54.png

Shinko isn’t as well-recognized a motorcycle tire brand as the likes of Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli or Dunlop. Part of that is because the company is relatively new to the game. The Shinko Group was founded in Japan in 1946, producing bicycle tires and tubes as the country emerged from the Second World War. Shinko didn’t really get into motorcycles, however, until 1998, when it acquired the tire technology and molds from Yokohama.

The company continues to build on the foundation of Yokohama’s technology, conducting R&D in Japan. Shinko tires are made in South Korea, with the company churning out about 200,000 tires each month.

Though it is a bit of an underdog in the motorcycle tire market, Shinko has been able to establish a niche by offering affordable prices compared to the larger brands, while still offering solid performance.

1. Shinko 010 Apex Radial Tires

062821-shinko-010-apex-radial-sportbike-tires.jpg

Shinko’s selection of sportbike tires isn’t very large. When it comes to high performance competition, Shinko actually specializes more in drag racing rubber than tires that need to handle corners.

If you’re looking for a Shinko sportbike tire, you may want to consider the 010 Apex. The radials have an intermediate compound with a tread area designed for high-speed cornering. The front tires are Aramid belted while the rear tires feature Zero Degree Joint-Less Steel Belted (JLSB) technology for a stronger carcass and added stability.

For track use, you may prefer the 003 Stealth radial which uses a softer compound, but for regular street use, the Apex tires will offer better durability.

2. Shinko SR777 Reflector Tires

062821-shinko-777-reflective-cruiser-tires.jpg

The SR777 is probably Shinko’s most popular cruiser tire, and is offered in a number of sizes for both heavyweight and mid-sized models. The SR777s are  Aramid belted for added stability and added load capacity, and Shinko offers a Heavy Duty version with a reinforced carcass for larger cruisers and baggers.

The tread design includes siping and grooves for improving traction in both wet and dry conditions.

In addition to the black wall version, Shinko also offers the SR777 with white walls for a more classic look. The SR777s are also available with a reflective wall version pictured above. In daylight, the Reflector appear black, but at night, the the sidewall reflects light for better visibility in the dark.

3. Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires

062821-shinko-705-dual-sport-tires.jpg

The Shinko 705 is a 70% street, 20% off-road dual sport tire, with an all-around rubber compound to handle a wide range of terrain and weather conditions. The blocky, tear-resistant tread can handle light trail riding, while offering smooth running on paved roads.

Most 705 tires are biased ply with the exception of the 150/70R18 rear tire size which uses a Zero Degree JLSB radial construction for added strength and stability.

4. Shinko 016 Verge 2X Dual Compound Tires

062821-shinko-011-verge-2x-dual-compound-sport-touring-tires.jpg

The 016 Verge 2X is a dual compound sport-touring tire (and the only dual compound tire street tire in the company’s lineup), offering a balance of good traction and long mileage.

Like its single compound predecessor, the 011 Verge tire, the 016 is zero degree JLSB radial, promising added stability and strength. The 016 also offers additional tread siping compared to the 011s, promising better grip in wet conditions. According to Shinko, the tread profile is designed for quick transitions and extra lean angle.

5. Shinko Classic 240

062821-shinko-240-classic-vintage-tires.jpg

For riders looking for a more vintage look, Shinko offers the 240 Classic. With a 90% aspect ratio and classic profile and sawtooth tread pattern, the 240 Classics will help complete a old school custom or cafe racer look.

Beneath the retro styling is modern tire technology, with a four-ply carcass construction and an Aramid belt for improved grip and durability.

The Shinko 240 Classic is available in black wall, white wall or double stripe white wall versions.

Shinko also offers a Super Classic 270 tire that offers a similar look, but it uses a nylon carcass and is rated at a lower speed than the 240.

Shinko Motorcycle Tire FAQ

Are Shinko tires any good?

Shinko tires may not have the latest in motorcycle tire technology compared to larger brands like Michelin or Dunlop, but they do offer pretty decent quality at much more affordable prices. If you want the best tires available, you’ll probably look elsewhere, but if you want good value, Shinko tires are a good option.

Where are Shinko tires made?

Shinko produces its tires in South Korea, with Korean production and quality control standards. The tires are designed in Japan, with the help of ongoing testing at warehouses across the world including in the U.S.A., where its American importer Western Power Sports has locations in Idaho, California, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Texas and Tennessee.

How many miles can you get out of a Shinko motorcycle tire?

The answer to that depends on the specific tire, your riding style, and how often you ride. Most Shinko tires use Aramid belts or a Zero degree joint-less steel belted construction for added durability.

Additional Resources

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.

Become a Motorcycle.com insider. Get the latest motorcycle news first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

The post Shinko Motorcycle Tires: Everything You Need to Know appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Motorcyclefeed/~4/vs84rFbDOSY

Source

Never heard of them.........CST tyres are the only unknown (to me) tyre I have ever used, on the Chinky bike.👍

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Never heard of them.........CST tyres are the only unknown (to me) tyre I have ever used, on the Chinky bike.👍

Chinesse Shit Tyres, I smell death and dismemberment.

Que deathwing gags.:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

They manufacture Maxxis tyres too!.😨

14 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

They are Tiwanese, which is nearly China.😂

22 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Strange innit, I totally rate Maxxis Enduro tyres, they're bloody ace.

i have heard that their road tyres are questionable 🤔

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

i have heard that their road tyres are questionable 🤔

Don't know, never tried them.