What's your MPG?

XTreme

It's amazing how this aspect has improved over the years!

Back in the 70's I was getting around 40 from most of the IL4's, early 30's from the Suzuki triples, and 25 from my Kawasaki 500 triple! I even got it down to 18 once! :classic_ohmy:

I knew the Beemer was good on fuel, but over the last few fill ups I've been recording kms done, and litres put in......along with the relevant price at that time.

I still think in gallons so the figures didn't mean much to me......but I found a conversion site from kms per litre to miles per gallon.

I totalled everything up, entered it in, and it came back with 70mpg. That's mixed environments......motorways, A Roads, back roads etc......just riding normally with the occasional burst up to 140kph.

I've got no doubt that at a consistent 100kph on a motorway run it would return around 80mpg........for a 650cc I'd say that's pretty impressive!

What are you guys getting?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Well thats not bad mate, I'd hazard a guess at around 45-50mpg roughly from my 636

I think the only one to give the Beemer a run for it's money would be @gymwitch's NC750.

Apparently they're very good on fuel too.

4 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I get about 50mpg on a long run.

Long run!.......it can't be that far between bus stops surely.

• Haha 5

Everything i got does about 50mpg the new Africa Twin is probably the best averaging around 55mpg. when i was running it in i did average 70mpg once but it was the most boring ride of my life :classic_laugh:

When i had the 2 gallon tank on my 650 it used to hit reserve about 70 miles which works out about 40mpg  and this was very consistent until i went for a ride with an old friend of mine, god he was slow you needed a time lapse camera to see him moving, i couldn't get the 650 into top gear most of the time, that day was the one and only time i got 110 miles to reserve about 60mpg. I haven't checked the MPG since fitting the flatslide carb a few years ago 

8 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

i went for a ride with an old friend of mine, god he was slow you needed a time lapse camera to see him moving

You've been out with the Flouncing Bloater as well then? 

I've had the Tracers dash showing 71. 7 on avg. That was coming through France a couple of years back. Think it's showing 68 at the mo.
Not sure how true the dash is but I'm getting over 200 miles a tank. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Catteeclan said:

I've had the Tracers dash showing 71. 7 on avg. That was coming through France a couple of years back. Think it's showing 68 at the mo.
Not sure how true the dash is but I'm getting over 200 miles a tank. 

That's amazing considering the power it's got!

I've never really worried about mpg until I got my CRF250 and it was doing 85mpg, that opened my eyes a bit as the KTM I had at the time wouldn't get past 37mpg .

Well chuffed with the Tenere as it's averaging 67mpg in nearly 5000 miles.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

It's amazing how this aspect has improved over the years!

Back in the 70's I was getting around 40 from most of the IL4's, early 30's from the Suzuki triples, and 25 from my Kawasaki 500 triple! I even got it down to 18 once! :classic_ohmy:

I knew the Beemer was good on fuel, but over the last few fill ups I've been recording kms done, and litres put in......along with the relevant price at that time.

I still think in gallons so the figures didn't mean much to me......but I found a conversion site from kms per litre to miles per gallon.

I totalled everything up, entered it in, and it came back with 70mpg. That's mixed environments......motorways, A Roads, back roads etc......just riding normally with the occasional burst up to 140kph.

I've got no doubt that at a consistent 100kph on a motorway run it would return around 80mpg........for a 650cc I'd say that's pretty impressive!

What are you guys getting?

On my Dakar (same engine as yours) I did a trip to the Pyrenees riding down through France into Spain with lots of trail riding and it averaged 71mpg, that was better than both my mates DR350's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

How much is a litre of petrol there then? 14 litres for 15 quid?

I didnt run it dry itwas on res. So res to res it does 220 miles clever arse 

15 hours ago, boboneleg said:

On my Dakar (same engine as yours) I did a trip to the Pyrenees riding down through France into Spain with lots of trail riding and it averaged 71mpg, that was better than both my mates DR350's.

What year was it Bob? Cos the engine was upgraded in 2004 to the twin spark........and the G series has the same engine as the final F model in 2007. Parts are the same as that one!

Except in @Buckster's opinion of course.......apparently mine has some POS Chinese version slung into it from the back of a rickshaw. No doubt prior to that it was stored in a paddy field! Just outside the Wuhan Lab!

He's unable to verify any of that of course......as that would require photographs! And that's a bridge too far! 

Andy Richter Eye Roll GIF

• Haha 2

I think this is a similar bike, no idea how much fuel it used, but I wasn't that keen on riding the thing, there seemed to be a very narrow rev range where the engine seemed happy and it never matched the speed I was doing whatever gear I put it in. Rest of it was okay though.

image.png.528efd4a4d2c8fc7b6747de5223db34a.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

there seemed to be a very narrow rev range where the engine seemed happy and it never matched the speed I was doing whatever gear I put it in.

I've never noticed that myself Yen.