Weaning kids on to solid foods

busabeast

I know I'm going to be getting shit from a few so bring it

Anyway my question is when you were weaning your little ones on to solid foods did you always try them on things you were eating but make stuff you knew they liked as a reserve incase they rejected the first food or did you go down the route of they eat what you eat and tough if they don't eat it, I only ask this question as on Tuesday the wife made a lasagne for us all yet skye (8 month old baby) didn't like it so rejected to eat it and the wifes input was oh well tough luck yet I said no we make something she likes (in this case a handful of pasta) then me and the wife proceeded to have a heated discussion that we need to try her on different options but always make her something we know she likes yet she said thats not how its done and that if she doesn't like something tough luck

So who is right here?

Sorry if it doesn't make much sense 

12 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Now you sound like a parent. I wouldnt worry you can always make more after you screw this one up right.

🤓

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

I know I'm going to be getting shit from a few so bring it

Anyway my question is when you were weaning your little ones on to solid foods did you always try them on things you were eating but make stuff you knew they liked as a reserve incase they rejected the first food or did you go down the route of they eat what you eat and tough if they don't eat it, I only ask this question as on Tuesday the wife made a lasagne for us all yet skye (8 month old baby) didn't like it so rejected to eat it and the wifes input was oh well tough luck yet I said no we make something she likes (in this case a handful of pasta) then me and the wife proceeded to have a heated discussion that we need to try her on different options but always make her something we know she likes yet she said thats not how its done and that if she doesn't like something tough luck

So who is right here?

I think 8 months is a bit soon for things like lasagne myself......but @Slowlycatchymonkey and @gymwitch would be the best to advise!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think 8 months is a bit soon for things like lasagne myself......but @Slowlycatchymonkey and @gymwitch would be the best to advise!

I have to say i was sooo lucky mine ate whatever i made. Steven always hated eggs and Ben didnt really eat fruit but that was all. I used to blend down whatever i made and down it went. Like human bins...stand on their feet and the gobs open. Bless um...still the same. 

It was also easier for me in that i was on my own so didnt have another parent to contend with. You could make a fussy eater giving her something you know for sure shes going to eat as an alternative?? Kids are hard friggin work !!! 

Do you all eat together? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

I have to say i was sooo lucky mine ate whatever i made. Steven always hated eggs and Ben didnt really eat fruit but that was all. I used to blend down whatever i made and down it went. Like human bins...stand on their feet and the gobs open. Bless um...still the same. 

It was also easier for me in that i was on my own so didnt have another parent to contend with. You could make a fussy eater giving her something you know for sure shes going to eat as an alternative?? Kids are hard friggin work !!! 

Do you all eat together? 

We try to eat together yeah, work and other commitments allowing.

I was under the assumption that you should always have a substitute whilst they are trying untested foods so that way they aren't going hungry but the wife is of the disposition that whatever is made must be eaten or else you go hungry, now whilst to a point I agree with that with older children I don't with babies as they dont have that reasoning 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I don't know mate she does like things like garlic bread and other strong flavours just seems to be abit reluctant to try too much that is new though give it to her a few times and she's ok with it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

I was under the assumption that you should always have a substitute whilst they are trying untested foods so that way they aren't going hungry but the wife is of the disposition that whatever is made must be eaten or else you go hungry, now whilst to a point I agree with that with older children I don't with babies as they dont have that reasoning 

You should always have an alternative......you can't force feed them with shit they don't like!

It's not the 1950's!

Just now, XTreme said:

You should always have an alternative......you can't force feed them with shit they don't like!

It's not the 1950's!

See this was my reasoning, yet the wife got on her high horse shouting and hollering that she's apparently now got to make 100s of different dinners a day now because neither me nor skye might like/want it ......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richzx6r said:

See this was my reasoning, yet the wife got on her high horse shouting and hollering that she's apparently now got to make 100s of different dinners a day now because neither me nor skye might like/want it ......

Having a child involves a lot more work......that's par for the course!

• Like 1

I can't believe you are asking for advice on child rearing here, you are more likely to get advice on how to barbecue a baby as to if it is okay to give barbecue to a baby.

• Haha 1

Proper lasagna is not something I would feed such a young child, unless you're cooking some bland british shit ... too much cheese, too much salt, too much fat as well.

Kids aren't against strong flavors, they do get addicted to it, though. However, you should start with healthier things with no saturated fat or salt, and spices aren't good for their stomach.

Grilling some chicken or turkey filet isn't that troublesome, some plain or lightly buttered pasta, white rice, steamed veggies, fruit, vegetable soup, etc, and maybe some of the grown up's food as a dessert like a treat if she goes through her own food first.

That's what I would do, if the person cooking can't be bothered to cook something for a young baby, then you could all go on a baby food diet :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Proper lasagna is not something I would feed such a young child, unless you're cooking some bland british shit ... too much cheese, too much salt, too much fat as well.

Kids aren't against strong flavors, they do get addicted to it, though. However, you should start with healthier things with no saturated fat or salt, and spices aren't good for their stomach.

Grilling some chicken or turkey filet isn't that troublesome, some plain or lightly buttered pasta, white rice, steamed veggies, fruit, vegetable soup, etc, and maybe some of the grown up's food as a dessert like a treat if she goes through her own food first.

That's what I would do, if the person cooking can't be bothered to cook something for a young baby, then you could all go on a baby food diet :classic_laugh:

I thought this but heyho, and not a choice I would be making 

The long and the short of it is with kids youre damned if you do and damned if you dont. The rest of this post is just detail cos I sympathise with where you are. When you get to the other side of child rearing you’ll look back and realise that theres little support, no definitive manual and a plethora of arseholes with differing opinions both telling you what to do and judging you on what they think doing wrong. 

Being a mum these days quite simply sucks, the pressure for perfect parenting is absurd. The advice from childless people is alway hilarious, they generally have strong opinions and judgements with no clue what its like down in the trenches day in day out so pay no heed there. I bred about 5 years ahead of my peers and was relentlessly advised all sorts of nonsense. Your obviously bright enough to know what a balanced diet is and I doubt you married a moron so whatever you land up doing will likely work out fine.

With mine I let them eat what they wanted and leave what they didnt. If it turned out they didnt like the main part- like I had one that didnt like lasagne the next time I’d remove a dollop of the mince and put it with defrosted cooked plain pasta, al dente portions stashed away for occasions when their little noses curled at the taste of something takes away some strain.

BUT this is unwelcome extra work and dont underestimate just how time consuming and endlessly tiring getting good quality, well balanced food on the table every single day is among the myriad of other tasks- especially the witching hour of bath and bedtime. If the alternative sometimes ends up being toast well thats ok too, no harm done, mums sanity being in tact is far more important for happy healthy children.

My friend who had to sit in front of her unwanted food is now 48 and STILL doesn’t eat so many vegetables that influenced the way I did things. My fussiest son whose ‘NO’ list was long now eats them all (apart from peas). He has a well developed palate for a 19yr old and adventurous tastes, many teenagers would shy away from cracking a lobster, trying sweetbreads, eating whitebait or ordering snails but he enjoys these things possibly because he was allowed to come to it in his own time. Or thats my belief, I dont have a second identical son raised differently to know if it would have happened anyway!

Once I got to know everyone’s genuine likes and dislikes which I didn’t mind accommodating I put a very large decal on the kitchen table wall that said “TODAYS MENU- Take It Or Leave It” cos children (and adults) whining at you about what they do and dont fancy eating while you jump up and down like a short order chef is a massive NO.

So having said there’s a plethora of arseholes with opinions you know what to do with mine……

You know your other half is gonna either laugh her tits off or get angry you’re asking for opinions on a motorbike forum 😂

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The long and the short of it is with kids youre damned if you do and damned if you dont. The rest of this post is just detail cos I sympathise with where you are. When you get to the other side of child rearing you’ll look back and realise that theres little support, no definitive manual and a plethora of arseholes with differing opinions both telling you what to do and judging you on what they think doing wrong. 

Being a mum these days quite simply sucks, the pressure for perfect parenting is absurd. The advice from childless people is alway hilarious, they generally have strong opinions and judgements with no clue what its like down in the trenches day in day out so pay no heed there. I bred about 5 years ahead of my peers and was relentlessly advised all sorts of nonsense. Your obviously bright enough to know what a balanced diet is and I doubt you married a moron so whatever you land up doing will likely work out fine.

With mine I let them eat what they wanted and leave what they didnt. If it turned out they didnt like the main part- like I had one that didnt like lasagne the next time I’d remove a dollop of the mince and put it with defrosted cooked plain pasta, al dente portions stashed away for occasions when their little noses curled at the taste of something takes away some strain.

BUT this is unwelcome extra work and dont underestimate just how time consuming and endlessly tiring getting good quality, well balanced food on the table every single day is among the myriad of other tasks- especially the witching hour of bath and bedtime. If the alternative sometimes ends up being toast well thats ok too, no harm done, mums sanity being in tact is far more important for happy healthy children.

My friend who had to sit in front of her unwanted food is now 48 and STILL doesn’t eat so many vegetables that influenced the way I did things. My fussiest son whose ‘NO’ list was long now eats them all (apart from peas). He has a well developed palate for a 19yr old and adventurous tastes, many teenagers would shy away from cracking a lobster, trying sweetbreads, eating whitebait or ordering snails but he enjoys these things possibly because he was allowed to come to it in his own time. Or thats my belief, I dont have a second identical son raised differently to know if it would have happened anyway!

Once I got to know everyone’s genuine likes and dislikes which I didn’t mind accommodating I put a very large decal on the kitchen table wall that said “TODAYS MENU- Take It Or Leave It” cos children (and adults) whining at you about what they do and dont fancy eating while you jump up and down like a short order chef is a massive NO.

So having said there’s a plethora of arseholes with opinions you know what to do with mine……

You know your other half is gonna either laugh her tits off or get angry you’re asking for opinions on a motorbike forum 😂

Honestly think you're hitting the nail on the head here, there is no definitive do's and don'ts we are all essentially winging it, and the witching hour isn't bad with her she absolutely loves a bath and is generally fine with bedtime as we have a good routine in place 

• Like 1

Just now, Richzx6r said:

Honestly think you're hitting the nail on the head here, there is no definitive do's and don'ts we are all essentially winging it, and the witching hour isn't bad with her she absolutely loves a bath and is generally fine with bedtime as we have a good routine in place 

Its generally always the witching hour for mum even with good kids (mine were),its just the end of a days childcare is when youve given all youve got, if youre there helping out I cant think of anything better, good on ya 😊 

Did you know there was a study showing that children who have fathers that are involved in bathing and reading bedtime stories have far less behavioural problems? Sharing the workload at that time is a marvellous thing to do.

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Its generally always the witching hour for mum even with good kids (mine were),its just the end of a days childcare is when youve given all youve got, if youre there helping out I cant think of anything better, good on ya 😊 

Did you know there was a study showing that children who have fathers that are involved in bathing and reading bedtime stories have far less behavioural problems? Sharing the workload at that time is a marvellous thing to do.

Yeah I'm always there for both, I normally get her up from her afternoon nap but yesterday I wasn't and apparently she was looking for me till I got home 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Richzx6r said:

Yeah I'm always there for both, I normally get her up from her afternoon nap but yesterday I wasn't and apparently she was looking for me till I got home 

Aww theres always such sweet stuff in the mix isnt there! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I did with my first wife......and so did @Clive.

I fell into her trap.........at the time i wondered were all our bunnies disappeared to🤔

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Tbf I generally take over the chold care once I get home from work to let her just chill out and relax as much as she can. And for some reason skye just seems to be better behaved with me according to the wife Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Tbf I generally take over the chold care once I get home from work to let her just chill out and relax as much as she can. And for some reason skye just seems to be better behaved with me according to the wife Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

For some reason sometimes a child is often better with one parent than another, my two it switched between us both more than once but now they are older one responds better to me and the other to Mr Slowly and its been that way for a long time. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• Like 1