well that's fucked then

MooN

38 minutes ago, MooN said:

don't for one minute I hadn't thought of the possibility of getting Fred and / or Bob over for beer and bike fixing

So that's no invite for me again then?

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Pedro said:

How do you know it goes ok? Is it the bike starting or not once the alarm is out?

at the moment it atarts and runs ok. cos i haven't started cutting bits off it. the problem arises when you switch it off. If you're within a certain distance of an autoroute toll gate, or a mobile telephone antenna or relay, or a number of other radio emission sources, You can't disactivate the alarm with the remote control due to the interference from external frequencies. This happens on a regular basis and is extremely annoying. There is a solution when this happens:

switch ignition on ( alarm siren sounds, indicators flash and electronic immobiliser cuts in) 

once the alarm stops screaming ( 30 seconds) you have 5 seconds to switch off and switch on again

the alarm emits a series of short "bips" and a series of long "beeps"

the long beeps correspond to your manual pin code.

when the number of long beeps equals the first digit of your 4 digit pin code switch off the contact, then immediatly back on again and count the beeps corresponding to your 2nd digit...

and so on untill you have entered the 4 digits of your pin code. 

the alarm then emits a series of "bips" for 3 seconds and flashes the indicators once to confirm the alarm is disactivated, you then have 45 seconds to start the engine or the alarm will reactivate in it's default mode. 

believe me, you learn this procedure by heart...

you notice that the whole procedure relies on the "series of "Bips" and "beeps".... so when your alarm no longer makes any sound ( which is now the case here)... you're "fucked"  ( Fucked being the correct technical term for the position in which you find yourself in the middle of sodding nowhere at 2 o clock in the morning.)  It will then start raining.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, XTreme said:

So that's no invite for me again then?

Sad Arrested Development GIF

naaah, sorry mate, I figured that in this particular case you would be about as much practical use as a the little motorised cupholder that slides in and out of the side of my computor. 

spacer.png

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, MooN said:

naaah, sorry mate, I figured that in this particular case you would be about as much practical use as a the little motorised cupholder that slides in and out of the side of my computor. 

Sad Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You will still see voltage back on the return leg I've already tried it on the bench here before i suggested it

Just thought I'd chuck that in for Chris as being a diode it'll only pass current one way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Just thought I'd chuck that in for Chris as being a diode it'll only pass current one way.

That's why i said to put the live onto all four remaining cables one at a time to find the return, didn't want to overload him with too much info :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's why i said to put the live onto all four remaining cables one at a time to find the return, didn't want to overload him with too much info :classic_laugh:

Good thinking, didn't spot that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooN said:

spacer.png

You know his type well then....I.e does it do the brum brum thing or not if not ....Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know why Triumph persist with the datatool alarms, they've been shit since they first started fitting them. My OH had one on her Speed 4 and the internal battery died on it, so we couldn't get the bike to start, as we couldn't turn the alarm off. Fortunately, being a UK bike, we just fitted the jumper plug and junked the alarm.

Anyway, that doesn't help your position. Have you decided what to do?

• Like 1

As a qualified electronics engineer I would continuity test everything and do it myself, given what I know about you, don’t be a cunt, take it to the dealer.

• Haha 3

On 11/06/2021 at 08:18, Tango said:

I don't know why Triumph persist with the datatool alarms, they've been shit since they first started fitting them. My OH had one on her Speed 4 and the internal battery died on it, so we couldn't get the bike to start, as we couldn't turn the alarm off. Fortunately, being a UK bike, we just fitted the jumper plug and junked the alarm.

Anyway, that doesn't help your position. Have you decided what to do?

Yup, going to the dealer tomorrow. that way there's no " fail" option. 

On 11/06/2021 at 08:42, Buckster said:

given what I know about you, don’t be a cunt, take it to the dealer.

well that's nothing if not honest. I'll take that.  dealer tomorrow. 

I'll let you know how long it takes them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'bout 20 minutes. 36€

i had the bike booked in for 14h00 but got there about half an hour early, Vincent, the shop manager turned up about 5 minutes after I did which was a surprise ( French lunch break is still traditionally 12 till 2) and he said he starts before the others to get a half h of calm and do some paperwork before oening the shop at 2 but he let me in so I could sit in the air conditioning and drink his coffee whilst waiting, Pascal the mechanic turned up at 13h45 and rather than open the main shop doors just pushed tigger in through the customer entrance and through the showroom and got straight into it. 👍  This sort of behaviour is sufficiently unlike normal French "service" to be worthy of note. 

Pascal invited me into the workshop to show me what he'd done and to ask how I wanted it finished off. 

He'd started by joining the wires that were flagged white and yellow with bits of tape, to see if that was effectively the solution, and it was, alarm out of circuit and everything else functioning, I've even still got the dashboard LED flashing as if there was an alarm. 😎

he then chopped the remaining wires and I ceremoniously removed the alarm unit, still weeping and clicking ( it has an internal battery) to the workshop bin. 

Pascal then soldered the connections he'd made, grouped and insulated the loose wires and secured the whole lot together. 

Good job jobbed!  Thank you to all those who made useful and / or helpful comments, cos it was only really because of what I learnt that I was able to push them in the right direction and get the neccessary information out of datatool. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MooN said:

'bout 20 minutes. 36€

i had the bike booked in for 14h00 but got there about half an hour early, Vincent, the shop manager turned up about 5 minutes after I did which was a surprise ( French lunch break is still traditionally 12 till 2) and he said he starts before the others to get a half h of calm and do some paperwork before oening the shop at 2 but he let me in so I could sit in the air conditioning and drink his coffee whilst waiting, Pascal the mechanic turned up at 13h45 and rather than open the main shop doors just pushed tigger in through the customer entrance and through the showroom and got straight into it. 👍  This sort of behaviour is sufficiently unlike normal French "service" to be worthy of note. 

Pascal invited me into the workshop to show me what he'd done and to ask how I wanted it finished off. 

He'd started by joining the wires that were flagged white and yellow with bits of tape, to see if that was effectively the solution, and it was, alarm out of circuit and everything else functioning, I've even still got the dashboard LED flashing as if there was an alarm. 😎

he then chopped the remaining wires and I ceremoniously removed the alarm unit, still weeping and clicking ( it has an internal battery) to the workshop bin. 

Pascal then soldered the connections he'd made, grouped and insulated the loose wires and secured the whole lot together. 

Good job jobbed!  Thank you to all those who made useful and / or helpful comments, cos it was only really because of what I learnt that I was able to push them in the right direction and get the neccessary information out of datatool. 

I would have finished the bloody thing off with a hammer!

Alarm off, french hospitality, free coffee, that’s a nice day!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MooN said:

'bout 20 minutes. 36€

That's great news👍 for the cost it wasn't worth bothering doing it yourself. 

• Like 2

This sort of behaviour is sufficiently unlike normal French "service" to be worthy of note, asked you how you’d like to be finished off?! 

Blimey that is above n beyond and only €36 euros into the bargain.. likely crack whores, Id get yourself checked. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This sort of behaviour is sufficiently unlike normal French "service" to be worthy of note, asked you how you’d like to be finished off?! 

Blimey that is above n beyond and only €36 euros into the bargain.. likely crack whores, Id get yourself checked. 

Are you feeling ok this is the kind of comment that uncouth bastard @XTreme would pick up on:classic_laugh:

• Haha 2