well that's fucked then

MooN

NOT happy... ( now there's a surprise!)

following from an earlier post somewhere where my bike's bloody alrm screwed me AGAIN, I contacted the maker DATATOOL ( scorpion automotive) in the uk who basically said it's dead, remove it. Order the triumph plug,. he gave me the part number. This corresponds to the vid of alarm removal from a 1200 that Buck found for me and also corresponds to everything I've read online about these alarms including asking the question on 2 bike specific forums. So, I ordered the plug ( about 40€) and looked for the alarm location on the bike... Not where that video suggested but up under the tail piece just forward of the tail light.  once I accessed it I see that it is NOT connectec via the famous plug but the wires dissapear into the bikes wiring harness around the battery.  This means I can't ride it cos the risk of it shutting down the bike whilst riding is (apparently) very real and I can't repair it or remove the alarm either as this would mean having to strip the bike completely and trace every single wire from the alarm to it's terminal, remove it and remake the wiring harness.  I obviously can't afford to pay someone else to do it either.  

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas.   I will be ringing Datatool probably tuesday to see if they can suggest a solution but beyond that...

• Sad 1

You may not have to remake the wiring harness you may get away with snipping out the alarm wiring and it working, beyond that.....I don't know what to suggest. 

I hope you get it sorted soon 

I took one of a Daytona for a friend. It really wasn't that bad although I confess to having a couple of wires spare but left them insulated and all was well.
Wires from the alarm will take power and earth by joining into the loom. Others will "break" wires so you have to rejoin colours.
Can't explain it better as I'm drinking.

• Haha 2

Usually all your going to have on the alarm is wires doubled up on the indicators and horn then there will be a power supply to the alarm these can be cut one wire at a time and then insulated and left no need to remove them from the loom and then a pair of wires that immobilises the bike these will need to be connected together. Its basically like your kill switch it just switches through the alarm.

5 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Usually all your going to have on the alarm is wires doubled up on the indicators and horn then there will be a power supply to the alarm these can be cut one wire at a time and then insulated and left no need to remove them from the loom and then a pair of wires that immobilises the bike these will need to be connected together. Its basically like your kill switch it just switches through the alarm.

What Fred said! :littleguy:

• Haha 1

Looking at some wiring diagrams you may have to join two wires together to enable the start circuit as well, I know you say you don't have the plug this is just to show you what is going to and from the alarm

Alarm_Connector.jpg.7ed7764659493d6a1ac353432121c42e.jpg

I've taken a few off Ducati's and one was easy, two were not.  It it was factory fitted it should be simple enough, if it was fitted by the apprentice in Le Triumph dealers it could be a ball ache.

Good luck Chris , bet you wish you still had the Tranny

I've been doing some research and yours may be factory fitted and integrated into the bike so needs some thought to be removed i read somewhere the french models were hard wired in and not plug and play. this is the wiring diagram i have been looking at not sure if its the one for your bike though. Number 39 is the alarm panel.

MP07lFr.thumb.jpg.7918fee05ca9693d6bd8fc7f929f45b1.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I've been doing some research and yours may be factory fitted and integrated into the bike so needs some thought to be removed i read somewhere the french models were hard wired in and not plug and play. this is the wiring diagram i have been looking at not sure if its the one for your bike though. Number 39 is the alarm panel.

MP07lFr.thumb.jpg.7918fee05ca9693d6bd8fc7f929f45b1.jpg

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

5 hours ago, MooN said:This corresponds to the vid of alarm removal from a 1200 that Buck found for me

I found you a video? Fuckmine!

7 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

And this is what i traced out on the alarm panel

39267773_MP07lFr-Copy.thumb.jpg.087a25842da6a49a7a7608d5daac4683.jpg

Mmm don't you just love a nice simple wiring diagram eh pete 😉 

It would be a nice simple one to get your teeth cut, so get to it and get your vast tool kit out ready

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Mmm don't you just love a nice simple wiring diagram eh pete 😉 

It would be a nice simple one to get your teeth cut, so get to it and get your vast tool kit out ready

Should see cars now.:classic_blink:

• Like 1

oh I am soooo fucked!   I'm not good with electrics at the best of times but this is all soo far beyond me.  

I’m having trouble understanding how a dealer is of no use for this, regardless of warranty being valid or not. Maybe they’re as useless as the portuguese ones.

Also, if the alarm is connected to the loom, is it not easy finding out which wires from the alarm go into which wires from the plug and replicate a plug?

32 minutes ago, MooN said:

oh I am soooo fucked!   I'm not good with electrics at the best of times but this is all soo far beyond me.  

I don’t know if they are wired the same as the one I have on which is I believe the data tool evo 3, but there used to be some YouTube videos on that where you cracked open the case and bypassed the system with a small piece of metal, they just inserted it into two of the terminals and it cut out all the alarm completely, then they just left the alarm in situ and it all worked fine.

29 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I’m having trouble understanding how a dealer is of no use for this, regardless of warranty being valid or not. Maybe they’re as useless as the portuguese ones.

Also, if the alarm is connected to the loom, is it not easy finding out which wires from the alarm go into which wires from the plug and replicate a plug?

The thing is with alarms their there to stop your bike from getting stolen if they were easy to remove their not fit for purpose. The crafty fuckers have made all the cables to the alarm black so you don't know which one is what. @MooN do you have any good photos of it i have read there's sometimes a security box under the passenger seat with the plug for the alarm in. Seems like from what I've read a lot of triumphs come with the bypass plug from new  

27 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The thing is with alarms their there to stop your bike from getting stolen if they were easy to remove their not fit for purpose. The crafty fuckers have made all the cables to the alarm black so you don't know which one is what. @MooN do you have any good photos of it i have read there's sometimes a security box under the passenger seat with the plug for the alarm in. Seems like from what I've read a lot of triumphs come with the bypass plug from new  

i've read that too, unfortunately mine doesn't seem to have that piece of equippement.  I have maild the dealer in Dijon with a request for a solution. I intend to get back to datatool on tuesday and ask them for a solution ( their techniciens have always been very good on the phone). If none of that brings a satisfactory solution I will have to try The triumph dealers in Paris and contact Triumph France, with a translated copy to Triumph head office requesting a solution.  we'll see what Dijon propose, but I imagine it will be to replace the entire wiring harness, which I clearly cannot afford to do. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MooN said:

but I imagine it will be to replace the entire wiring harness, which I clearly cannot afford to do. 

You wont need to do that if its the alarm that's faulty, any auto electrician should be able to sort that out. by cutting the wires going into the alarm and shorting out the correct ones to bypass the alarm relays

It was just a matter of opening the loom to get to the coloured wires in the alarms I've removed. As this was factory fitted I'm not sure if that method is possible.
Sounds like it's becoming a ball ache.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 20:03, Sir Fallsalot said:

You wont need to do that if its the alarm that's faulty, any auto electrician should be able to sort that out. by cutting the wires going into the alarm and shorting out the correct ones to bypass the alarm relays

in the UK yes....  unfortunately in rural France, not so easy.  but I'm looking. the problem is finding someone competent and willing to do it. Most of the competent guys work for a garage who won't touch bikes or for a dealer who won't touch another make. Independat, competent AND not a multi hour ride from me.... 

• Like 1