New Cam Chain

Started to strip the 650 to fit a new cam chain tonight as all the parts i needed turned up today

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.0fd66e5d4c894cc8473c109b4af32b0d.JPG

Had to strip the carb off to get the rocker cover off which was a right pain on this bike this is how it looks at the moment

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.1fc8a96f5fbf8621dfb11dea75a678f2.JPG

when i took the clutch cover off i noticed a bit of black plasticky stuff. Couldn't work out what it was at first or where it come from but after taking the cam chain out i could see wear on the crank case from the chain and then the horror dawned on me bloody cam chain guide is worn out and that bit of plastic was the side of it. To change it the head has to come off so new head gasket as well as the two chain guides 

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.95ce5ec49513fab883f43b88f98e4a8d.JPG

This is the old chain and and the bit of cam chain guide i found floating about. The chain is totally fucked i'm lucky it hasn't snapped

IMG_1422.thumb.JPG.f7f91416d10055c00d1aac050771ff6e.JPG

So now i have to sit and wait for more parts before i can rebuild it  😪

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It looks like you caught that just in time Fred, pay attention to the cam chain tensioner while you're in there.  The one on my XR650L caused me a fair bit of aggro.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, boboneleg said:

It looks like you caught that just in time Fred, pay attention to the cam chain tensioner while you're in there.  The one on my XR650L caused me a fair bit of aggro.

Little buggers keep breaking the spring end off.:littleguy:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Done well to get the cam cover off without snapping bolts, normally the 2 at the inside front. Good luck with the exhaust studs.:classic_biggrin:

No problem with any of the rocker cover bolts and I snapped the exhaust studs many years ago had to drill one out but i replaced them all with stainless steel Alan head bolts and they undone like i put them in yesterday. One of the headers is seized into the Arrow end can but that's not stopping me from doing the work. i got it soaking with penetrating oil

7 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've done a few of these tensioners before Bob the first time was a potch until i found this video on line