2021 Honda CRF300L vs. 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Review First Ride

Hugh Janus

Riding the 2021 Honda CRF300L.
Riding the 2021 Honda CRF300L. (Drew Ruiz/)

Honda’s smallest street-legal CRF has been updated for the first time since 2017, and the same goes for the Rally version that was introduced that same year. By increasing the stroke on the engines of the CRF250L and CRF250L Rally by 8mm, Big Red has increased the displacement by 15 percent to 286cc and renamed both models to reflect that additional 36cc. Honda invited us to test the new CRF300L and CRF300L Rally on the trails, two-track, and roads outside Copper Horse Riding Ranch near Santa Clarita, California, where we spent the day riding the non-ABS models.

2021 Honda CRF300L and 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Updates

In addition to the displacement increase, engine improvements also include revised camshaft lift and timing; a new assist/slipper clutch; updated gear ratios; a different header pipe and muffler (which Honda claims are lighter and reduce sound); and a revised air filter.

For the first time since 2017, Honda’s smallest street-legal CRF has been updated. The most prominent change is the engine’s 36cc displacement increase via an 8mm-longer stroke.
For the first time since 2017, Honda’s smallest street-legal CRF has been updated. The most prominent change is the engine’s 36cc displacement increase via an 8mm-longer stroke. (Drew Ruiz/)

Although the larger powerplant is certainly the focal point of the new CRF300L and CRF300L Rally, the two bikes feature several additional significant updates. The frame gets a 25 percent decrease in lateral rigidity, 30mm-narrower downtube, smaller downtube gusset, 20mm-shorter main pipe, and 3.2mm reduction in the cradle tube diameter, all intended to improve maneuverability and rider feel. The revisions made to the frame and crankcase net 1.2 inches of added ground clearance. A change from steel to aluminum on the lower triple clamp results in a claimed weight savings of 1.6 ounces. The redesigned swingarm’s rigidity has been reduced by 23 percent laterally and 17 percent torsionally, while a revised cross section and 15mm decrease in pivot width contribute to the component’s weight reduction of 1.6 ounces.

Fork and shock travel are increased by 0.4 and 0.6 inch respectively. The shock uses a different link, connecting rod, and new settings to suit the changes. The rear brake master cylinder and meter are new, as is the 10 percent larger kickstand foot plate, thinner rear sprocket, and hollow rear axle. Handlebar sweep has been increased, handlebar weights have been added, the front seat area and swingarm pivot cover are narrower, and the footpegs have been moved rearward. Honda claims to have decreased the overall weight of the CRF300L by 11 pounds versus the CRF250L.

A less rigid frame and swingarm, additional suspension travel, and new rear brake master cylinder and meter are among the other most notable changes made to the CRF300L for 2021. According to Honda, the bike weighs 11 pounds less than the outgoing CRF250L.
A less rigid frame and swingarm, additional suspension travel, and new rear brake master cylinder and meter are among the other most notable changes made to the CRF300L for 2021. According to Honda, the bike weighs 11 pounds less than the outgoing CRF250L. (Drew Ruiz/)

Changes specific to the 2021 Rally version include a new 3.4-gallon fuel tank, a 20mm-wider seat rubber mounting cushion, and the addition of rubber platforms in the footpegs. The front fender, side covers, toolbox, and license plate bracket are said to be lighter. According to Honda, the CRF300L Rally weighs 9 pounds less than the previous-generation CRF250L Rally.

First introduced in 2017, the CRF300L Rally enjoys all of the same updates as the standard model along with a new 3.4-gallon fuel tank, a 20mm-wider seat rubber mounting cushion, and the addition of rubber platforms in the footpegs.
First introduced in 2017, the CRF300L Rally enjoys all of the same updates as the standard model along with a new 3.4-gallon fuel tank, a 20mm-wider seat rubber mounting cushion, and the addition of rubber platforms in the footpegs. (Drew Ruiz/)

2021 Honda CRF300L vs. 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Engine

The powerplants of the CRF300L and CRF300L Rally are identical, a 286cc fuel-injected liquid-cooled DOHC four-stroke that builds power in a smooth, linear manner. The engine’s character is fairly mellow, but it revs quickly enough to make it fun to ride in a spirited fashion. Engine-braking is detectable but not overwhelming; it can actually be beneficial, helping to slow the bike when entering turns on the road. Vibration is practically nonexistent thanks to the engine’s counterbalancer. The transmission shifts smoothly and definitively with minimal clutch input necessary.

Honda’s specifications list the new CRF300L Rally weighing in at a claimed 333 pounds for the non-ABS model, which is 9 pounds less than the previous-generation CRF250L Rally.
Honda’s specifications list the new CRF300L Rally weighing in at a claimed 333 pounds for the non-ABS model, which is 9 pounds less than the previous-generation CRF250L Rally. (Drew Ruiz/)

At speed on pavement I found myself upshifting between 8,000 and 9,000 rpm to keep the engine in the meat of the power. Third gear worked excellently for the tighter twisty roads we encountered, while fourth had no problem pulling through the more gradual turns on the street. Sixth gear allowed a top speed of 75 mph in flatter areas, but the revs would drop away on any sort of upward incline, prompting a downshift to fifth; this proved to be the best all-around gear for most wide-open stretches of pavement.

I found myself using third gear for the majority of the dirt portion of the ride, as the bike could be lugged in wider turns and still got moving fast enough for most fire road straightaways. There were some optional, somewhat technical single-track trails, and on these I spent nearly all my time in second gear, as it’s low enough to get the bike moving from a stop without too much clutch use and get it moving at an acceptable trail speed. I didn’t use first gear all that much, but it’s certainly capable of crawling at very low speeds on tight trails.

The 286cc fuel-injected liquid-cooled DOHC four-stroke engine builds power in a smooth, linear manner, making it easy to ride both on and off-road. Upshifting between 8,000 and 9,000 rpm keeps it in the meat of the power.
The 286cc fuel-injected liquid-cooled DOHC four-stroke engine builds power in a smooth, linear manner, making it easy to ride both on and off-road. Upshifting between 8,000 and 9,000 rpm keeps it in the meat of the power. (Max Mandell/)

Clutch pull is incredibly light. My trials background has given me plenty of experience with hydraulic clutches, but the CRF300L and CRF300L Rally clutch have the easiest pull I’ve ever experienced, especially impressive for a cable-actuated unit. There is no detectable fade despite its effortless pull, and I never found myself abusing it due to the engine’s more-than-sufficient torque at low rpm.

Second gear is low enough for trails that are somewhat technical, while third gear is suitable for most flowing single-track. Clutch pull is nearly effortless.
Second gear is low enough for trails that are somewhat technical, while third gear is suitable for most flowing single-track. Clutch pull is nearly effortless. (Drew Ruiz/)

2021 Honda CRF300L vs. 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Suspension

We began the day on the CRF300L Rally with Honda taking us on winding roads to test the bike’s pavement worthiness. Turns were initiated easily and predictably, and the bike maintained plenty of lean angle traction throughout corners. Transitioning to the dirt with some two-track and fire roads gave us an opportunity to see what the nonadjustable Showa 43mm inverted fork and Showa shock were capable of. Both components provided an ultraplush feel over small bumps and rain ruts.

The nonadjustable Showa 43mm inverted fork and Showa shock adjustable only for preload offer tons of comfort over small bumps and rain ruts. Because the shock is a bit soft, it has the tendency to travel quickly through the stroke on minor G-outs, especially on the Rally model.
The nonadjustable Showa 43mm inverted fork and Showa shock adjustable only for preload offer tons of comfort over small bumps and rain ruts. Because the shock is a bit soft, it has the tendency to travel quickly through the stroke on minor G-outs, especially on the Rally model. (Max Mandell/)

The shock is noticeably softer than the fork; this becomes even more apparent when hitting minor G-outs that are two or more feet tall, as the rear rebounds rather quickly and pitches the bike forward. The CRF300L exhibits the same behavior, but to a lesser extent. It didn’t take long for me to begin slowing down for such obstacles. The shock is only adjustable for preload, and this is definitely a situation where a rebound clicker would come in handy. The rear’s soft and springy feeling is even noticeable while sitting on the bike when parked.

2021 Honda CRF300L vs. 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Chassis/Handling

The CRF300L Rally’s trail manners are decent, though its lean angle traction leaves something to be desired. This is especially evident in looser dirt, where the front end has somewhat of a vague feel with a tendency to occasionally push when leaned over too far—which is not actually that far. At first I chalked this up to the road-oriented IRC Trails GP dual sport tires. However, although knobby tires would certainly improve traction in the dirt, a later ride on the standard CRF300L showed that they weren’t completely to blame. The Trails GP rubber certainly doesn’t offer gobs of traction in the dirt on either bike, but the standard model was much more confidence inspiring to lean.

Even with road-oriented IRC Trails GP dual sport tires, the CRF300L is plenty capable in the dirt.
Even with road-oriented IRC Trails GP dual sport tires, the CRF300L is plenty capable in the dirt. (Drew Ruiz/)

The contrast in shock performance and off-road handling capability between the CRF300L and CRF300L Rally had me asking Honda staff concerning differences in spring rates and valving. Although they were unable to confirm if there were any internal suspension differences between the two trims, they did note that a model like the Rally, which weighs a claimed 24 pounds more than the standard version, usually has stiffer fork and shock spring rates to accommodate for the extra poundage. I would accuse the Rally model’s additional weight, most of which comes from components positioned farther forward on the bike, of playing a role in its comparatively lackluster off-road handling capability.

Another noticeable difference is in the seat heights. The standard model is noticeably lower and its seat has less of a pocket at the front, making it easier to move forward and back on. The Rally’s seat is taller but has more of a dip at the front. The Rally’s larger fuel tank causes the bike to feel slightly wider while sitting. The handlebar seems a touch swept-back while standing, but not enough to make me want to adjust it.

The CRF300L Rally weighs 24 pounds more than the standard model according to Honda’s claimed specifications. The additional weight makes the bike less maneuverable and not as confidence inspiring to lean compared to the CRF300L.
The CRF300L Rally weighs 24 pounds more than the standard model according to Honda’s claimed specifications. The additional weight makes the bike less maneuverable and not as confidence inspiring to lean compared to the CRF300L. (Max Mandell/)

Despite the Rally having a 40mm-larger front brake disc than the standard model, I did not detect a major difference in braking power between the two. However, the CRF300L had been ridden more by the time I hopped on it in the afternoon, so the front brake may have felt a bit more powerful merely because the pads were more thoroughly broken in. The pull at the lever is progressive on both machines, offering a fine balance between being powerful enough to bring the bike to an abrupt stop on the street yet not so grabby that the front end washes out easily in the dirt.

Should You Buy the 2021 Honda CRF300L or 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally?

When Honda explained the CRF300L Rally is designed more for the road-going rider, I assumed this was mostly due to its 1.3-gallon-larger fuel tank, the frame-mounted windscreen, and the rubber platforms in the footpegs. However, after spending hours at the controls of both bikes, I realized their performance in the dirt reflects the type of rider each bike is designed for.

While it may seem contrary that a motorcycle that takes appearance cues from Ricky Brabec’s CRF450 Rally works bike is less capable in the dirt than its standard model counterpart, the CRF300L Rally is still a viable option for those whose dirt desires don’t go far beyond two-track and fire roads. While it can certainly handle more challenging off-road terrain in the hands of the right rider, those who only ride on the road to connect from one single-track trail to the next would be better off buying the CRF300L and saving $750 over the Rally. With that money they could invest in more aggressive off-road tires, hand guards, a skid plate, and other items that would further enhance the CRF300L’s capability in the dirt.

Honda explained it designed the CRF300L more for off-road use than the CRF300L Rally. Our testing revealed that to be the case, but more so than we expected.
Honda explained it designed the CRF300L more for off-road use than the CRF300L Rally. Our testing revealed that to be the case, but more so than we expected. (Drew Ruiz/)

Gearbox

Helmet: Arai VX-Pro4

Goggle: Oakley Airbrake MX

Hydration Pack: Fly Racing XC 100

Jersey: Fly Racing Evolution DST

Gloves: Fly Racing Evolution DST

Pants: Fly Racing Evolution DST

Boots: Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro

2021 Honda CRF300L Specifications

MSRP: $5,249 / $5,549 (ABS model)
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled single-cylinder; 4-valve
Displacement: 286cc
Bore x Stroke: 76.0 x 63.0mm
Compression Ratio: 10.7:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Fuel System: EFI w/ 38mm throttle body
Clutch: Wet, multiplate slipper/assist; cable actuation
Frame: Steel
Front Suspension: Showa 43mm inverted fork, nonadjustable; 10.2 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Showa shock, spring preload adjustable; 10.2 in. travel
Front Brake: Nissin 2-piston caliper, 256mm disc
Rear Brake: Nissin 1-piston caliper, 220mm disc
Tires, Front/Rear: IRC Trails GP; 80/100-21 / 120/80-18
Rake/Trail: 27.5°/4.3 in.
Wheelbase: 57.2 in.
Ground Clearance: 11.2 in.
Claimed Seat Height: 34.7 in.
Fuel Capacity: 2.1 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 309 lb. / 311 lb. (ABS model)
Availability: Now

2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Specifications

MSRP: $5,999 / $6,299 (ABS model)
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled single-cylinder; 4-valve
Displacement: 286cc
Bore x Stroke: 76.0 x 63.0mm
Compression Ratio: 10.7:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Fuel System: EFI w/ 38mm throttle body
Clutch: Wet, multiplate slipper/assist; cable actuation
Frame: Steel
Front Suspension: Showa 43mm inverted fork, nonadjustable; 10.2 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Showa shock, spring preload adjustable; 10.2 in. travel
Front Brake: Nissin 2-piston caliper, 296mm disc
Rear Brake: Nissin 1-piston caliper, 220mm disc
Tires, Front/Rear: IRC Trails GP; 80/100-21 / 120/80-18
Rake/Trail: 27.5°/4.3 in.
Wheelbase: 57.2 in.
Ground Clearance: 10.9 in.
Claimed Seat Height: 35.2 in.
Fuel Capacity: 3.4 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 333 lb. / 337 lb. (ABS model)
Availability: Now

Source