Book Club - What are you reading at the moment?

Grasshopper

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Blimey that a line up n a half!

" Le petit Prince" is a french classic, standerd secondary school study here.  I also have " Vol de Nuit" by him. You know he was a pioneer of the french aeropostal service in north africa right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MooN said:

" Le petit Prince" is a french classic, standerd secondary school study here.  I also have " Vol de Nuit" by him. You know he was a pioneer of the french aeropostal service in north africa right?

I did not and would ask for more info but Im afraid of the the number of words and syllables you use may put you in the crosshairs of some… french literature.. woah danger zone 😂 

Eric Cartman Research GIF by South Park

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2021 at 19:43, MooN said:

Yes, he was a bit of a pioneer as well as a writer. Wind, Sand and Stars is about his exploits as an aviator I believe. He went missing during a reconnaissance flight in 1944 somewhere off the coast of Marseille. He lead quite an extraordinary life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You're reading those Bob? Why?

They're good for my French, as there's a fair bit of slang in them and I also enjoy them, as they're not too taxing on my basic French! 😂😂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tango said:

These are also in my reading list. 😎👍

20211129_154712.thumb.jpg.5259909bf36ebf6d4125431a253273f8.jpg

When i was in infants school i used to love reading Asterix books and i had many a row off the teacher for giggling to myself in class and was told many times to stop reading and pay attention probably contributed to the reason i don't read anything now 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

When i was in infants school i used to love reading Asterix books and i had many a row off the teacher for giggling to myself in class and was told many times to stop reading and pay attention probably contributed to the reason i don't read anything now 

I loved and still love the Asterix books. Sometimes some light reading like this is more fun than wading through something heavier. 😉👍

• Like 1

On 27/11/2021 at 22:25, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I usually have two books on the go at the same time just cos I bought a Kobo e-reader to avoid giving amazon my money then discovered I need a book on my phone as well so amazon get my money anyway! Then again I suppose its less than half what they were getting before so thats something.

Hey, have you tried Scribd? They have a great range of ebooks and audiobooks for a flat $8.99 USD per month. You can stream or you can download the books onto your phone/device for offline reading. I loooooove it. The audio books are really good too, the nonfiction ones are usually read by the author and I love that.

Here is an invite link - full disclosure, if you use it I get a free month of subscription - but I think it also gives you a 28 day free trial. https://www.scribd.com/g/93z13v  (If it doesn't give you the free trial, have a look around on the homepage, because the free trial is definitely a thing.)

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 16:18, Tango said:

They're good for my French, as there's a fair bit of slang in them and I also enjoy them, as they're not too taxing on my basic French! 😂😂

good choice. Comic books are excellent for learning the language, as you say there's some slang in them and if you don't get it the picture explains it. In french and belgian comics there are almost always at least 2 and sometimes 3 levels of understanding; the basic language, the humoristic references and often enough political satire current at time of writing. I learnt masses of French idiom from Franquin's " Gaston Lagaffe" series when I first arrived here. 

• Like 1