2021 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R First Ride Review

KTM’s updated 1290 Super Adventure R has been released in other parts of the world, but will be coming to the US as a 2022 model in the fall.
KTM’s updated 1290 Super Adventure R has been released in other parts of the world, but will be coming to the US as a 2022 model in the fall. (Jason Critchell/)

When KTM held the world launch for its big 1290 Super Adventure R back in 2017, journalists were whisked away to Peru, the perfect proving ground for an adventure bike with global ambitions. At the end of 2018 I managed a few days off-road riding on the same model, this time at KTM’s dedicated off-road school in not-so-glamorous Wales. The “old” R version was hugely impressive; in the expert hands of three-time Roof of Africa winner Chris Birch it was mesmerising. Chris made that bike do things I didn’t think were possible on a regular enduro bike, let alone a 487-pound 1,301cc road-legal adventure motorcycle.

As brilliant as that bike was, I, like many other “normal” riders, especially those of my diminutive stature, had an issue with its size. There was no getting away from it: The Super Adventure was an enormous motorcycle, a dream to ride but intimidatingly tall. But KTM has tackled that for 2021 with a new subframe that has reduced the seat height from 35.0 inches (890mm) to 34.6 inches (880mm) and made it narrower as well. It should be enjoyable for average riders, not just experts.

The lower and narrower seat of the Super Adventure R gives shorter riders more confidence.
The lower and narrower seat of the Super Adventure R gives shorter riders more confidence. (Jason Critchell/)

But the Austrians haven’t merely played around with the subframe and seat. Now KTM has met Euro 5′s stringent emissions standards without losing any of the shoulder-popping power of that 160 hp V-twin. Even more advanced electronic rider aids have been added; all there are accessible via a new 7-inch TFT dash and switch gear. The bodywork is all-new, with a three-part fuel tank setup to carry the fluid weight lower in a fashion similar to the 790 and newer 890 Adventure. There’s also a new quick-access airbox to facilitate on-trail filter cleaning and new LED lights, to name just a couple of updates.

The R uses the same platform as the S but caters more to off-road demands. Semi-active WP suspension has been supplanted by conventional manually tweakable suspension with more travel, up from 7.9 inches (200mm) to 8.7 inches (220mm), allowing for more ground clearance (9.5 inches). Wheels are spoked and tubeless; the front is a 21-incher, up from 19 inches on the S. These changes in wheel size and suspension mean a more relaxed rake and trail. There are new colors and graphics, and the windscreen is smaller and shorter, enabling you to peer over it when riding off-road.

Most likely the Super Adventure R models coming to the US will have more aggressive tires for dirt use, but with the European-spec Bridgestone A41 the SAR is a ripper on the roads.
Most likely the Super Adventure R models coming to the US will have more aggressive tires for dirt use, but with the European-spec Bridgestone A41 the SAR is a ripper on the roads. (Jason Critchell/)

The old bike was quality and still is, so the new R is going to have to step up to the plate to impress. A few days in the UK with some mild off-road riding should do the trick.

Wow… Still Quick

Due to Euro 5 regulations, KTM was required to clean up its LC8 1,301cc V-twin. This meant fundamentally revising the fuelling and designing a completely new exhaust with dual catalytic converters. Despite Euro 5, the Super Adventure R hasn’t lost any peak power or torque; KTM still quotes 160 hp at 9,000 rpm and 102 pound-feet of torque at 6,500 rpm. Peak power now arrives slightly higher in the rev range, 250 rpm later than before, and the bike has lost a small amount of torque. On a bike with so much tire-shredding grunt, these changes are hardly noticeable.

This KTM delivers big from low down and drives with breath-stealing force. A bike that is, in essence, built for serious dirt-based adventure, with long-travel suspension and a 21-inch front wheel, shouldn’t be this exhilarating on asphalt. It is. It took me a while to reconfigure myself to that immense low and midrange acceleration. A hundred and sixty horses, you say? I remember when ultra-focused literbikes had that power, not off-road-specific adventure machines.

KTM claims the 1290 Super Adventure R has retained its peak horsepower rating of 160 hp.
KTM claims the 1290 Super Adventure R has retained its peak horsepower rating of 160 hp. (Jason /)

Four riding modes control all that grunt: Sport, Street, Rain, and Off-road. These alter and permutate power, engine character, and rider aids, and are now linked to a new six-axis IMU (up one from the previous five-axis model). Street and Sport give full power. Rain and Off-road are limited to 100 hp, which is around the same as the Honda Africa Twin’s full output.

The rider aids are excellent, but given that KTM is “Ready to Race,” they are on the aggressive side. In Sport mode, with a direct throttle connection and the “soft” rider aids selected, the front wheel will still rise reasonably high before intervention, though the consequent reintroduction of power is smooth and quick. Deactivate rider aids altogether and ride aggressively, and the front will send the new LED headlight skyward in the first three gears. The KTM wants you to party until midnight, whereas the competition will send a taxi and have you home and tucked into bed before 10.

The rear suspension is manually adjustable, as opposed to the semi-active on the S model. The R version is more wheelie prone, giving the electronic rider aids a harder time keeping everything in order. Grab a careless handful of throttle and the sheer grunt of that 75-degree V-twin shoves you back in the seat and forces you to pull on the bars as you try to hang on. The rear sits, the front rises. And rises. You have been warned.

Although the Super Adventure R lost some torque, you’d be hard-pressed to notice.
Although the Super Adventure R lost some torque, you’d be hard-pressed to notice. (Jason Critchell/)

But don’t fear. The KTM also has a sensible side…sort of. Flick the R into Street mode, or use the optional Rally mode, and you can personalize a setting to control all the R’s one-wheel tricks. On the freeway, in the tall sixth gear, the engine is hardly working. All is calm, though there’s still ample grunt in top gear to embarrass tailgating drivers with a quick wrap of the throttle.

Changing ride models will temper the Super Adventure R’s bombastic engine for a more controlled ride if you are so inclined.
Changing ride models will temper the Super Adventure R’s bombastic engine for a more controlled ride if you are so inclined. (Jason Critchell/)

One disappointment: KTM’s Quickshifter+ doesn’t come as standard. The up-and-down shifter works so smoothly and effortlessly that it’s missed once you’ve sampled it. You could argue that it’s not needed, given that the KTM has so much torque that you only need the top three gears for legal riding. Still, at this price, I’d expect it to be standard fitment.

And It Handles

The R weighs 487 pounds dry. Add a full tank of fuel (6.1 gallons), and it’s close to 551 pounds. Now add the rider and combine all the above with long-travel (220mm) suspension, a 21-inch front wheel, a relatively skinny 150-section rear Bridgestone, and 160 hp. The handling should be complete madness. But KTM somehow makes it all work.

The WP Xplor suspension is hugely effective, despite the need to be stable at high speed and absorb intense punishment off-road. As expected, there is a lot of suspension movement; you can feel the rear squat under power, and the strong Brembo brakes get the fork diving like a toddler when a car backfires, but the movement has control. The compression of the 48mm fork is beautifully administered. Equally important, when you release the brakes, the fork doesn’t fire back at the rider; it’s all smooth and fluid.

On-road the Super Adventure R is connected to the road despite the long-travel suspension and 21-inch front tire.
On-road the Super Adventure R is connected to the road despite the long-travel suspension and 21-inch front tire. (Jason Critchell/)

On a tall adventure bike you can sometimes feel disconnected from the road, but on the KTM you feel that critical link with the chassis, which translates to the excellent Bridgestone A41 rubber. Once you feel the connection with the new KTM you start to de-tune the rider aids and revel instead in the feel and mechanical grip. Lots of riders, especially sportbike owners, tend to underestimate the Super Adventure R as a road tool. But boy, it can hustle. Ride this bike like a big supermoto and there are untold rewards to be had. That said, I did get a little carried away a few times and was thankful I hadn’t fully deactivated the electronic assistance, especially the cornering ABS.

The stoppers remain unchanged from the previous model with Brembo radial calipers still grabbing twin 320mm rotors. The aforementioned cornering ABS is excellent, and you can deactivate the rear brake ABS should you want to. And the feedback and control from those excellent Xplor fork allows you to make the most of the Brembo’s strong stopping power.

Getting Dirty

Off-road, the most welcome change for most will be that new subframe; a narrower, 10mm-lower seat might not look like much on paper, but KTM has also moved the center of mass lower and forward by pitching the engine in the frame, and now the 1290 features the aforementioned three-cell fuel tank.

These modifications make a significant difference, especially for less experienced riders. The big R is less daunting; you feel more in control, the balance is better and less top-heavy. Now when I come to a stop, I can (barely) touch the ground instead of amusing everyone by toppling over. The boost this gives to off-road confidence is priceless, especially when you need to dab or stop on uneven ground. Previously I’d had to plan where I was going to stop, and any potholes or gradients sent my feet into panic mode as they tried to make contact with Mother Earth.

Off-road mode knocks the power down from 160hp to 100 hp, making it easier to control in the dirt.
Off-road mode knocks the power down from 160hp to 100 hp, making it easier to control in the dirt. (Jason Critchell/)

We only got to tickle the new bike’s off-road capabilities, but combined with user-friendly off-road rider aids, the R appears to be more accessible than before. More than ever, it’s easier for less-advanced riders, thanks especially to the electronic rider aids that are so impressive off road. They flatter the rider and let you get away with mistakes that would normally have you eating dirt. The off-road ABS, for example, finds colossal amounts of grip everywhere.

In the dedicated off-road mode, that 100 hp peak power cap is matched to a softer throttle map. Even so, it’s all too easy to gather speed, and it’s reassuring to have a raft of clever electronic packages to rescue you from disaster. You can opt for the full 160 hp off-road if you wish, or even turn off the rider aids, but I wouldn’t suggest this first time out.

Let’s Go Touring

There is a flip side to KTM’s sometimes-barking-mad Super Adventure R; its inner tourer. Cruise control comes as standard (unlike on the S, the Adaptive Cruise Control isn’t even listed as an optional extra) and revised switch gear makes activating and changing cruise speed simple and straightforward. The redrawn 7-inch TFT dash is both clear and functional, a big step in the right direction. See? I told you there was a sensible side to the R.

A 7-inch TFT full color display is bright and easy to read.
A 7-inch TFT full color display is bright and easy to read. (Jason Critchell/)

There are 11 seat options, though I had no grievances with the standard seat. The pegs have removable rubbers for off-road riding, and with the reduced seat height, they now feel closer. It’s still a roomy riding position, but taller riders may prefer to set the seat at its higher position or just opt for the taller seat. Before making a purchase, try the different seats in the showroom to see which fits you best. Remember, the bars, pegs, screen, and levers are adjustable to help optimize the riding position for the individual; KTM will fit the bike to you and the way you ride.

The only touring blip is the small screen, which is beneficial off-road but doesn’t give much high-speed wind protection. It’s still manually adjustable, though lower than the S model’s. I’m on the short side, and it was OK, but I’m sure taller riders will go for a taller option.

The 6.1-gallon saddlebag fuel tank should give a decent range, around 200 miles before you need to panic about petrol. Off-road ergonomics mean the KTM isn’t quite as comfortable as BMW’s R 1250 GSA, but several hours in the saddle aren’t a problem. The small compartment in front of the keyless fuel cap is useful for storing a cellphone, and there’s a USB charger in there too. As you’d expect these days, the full-color dash has Bluetooth connectivity should you want to take calls while riding off-road. The only niggle I can think of is the indicator switch, which isn’t positive enough; sometimes it’s on, sometimes not.

High Level of Spec

In addition to the riding modes, rider aids, and 7-inch TFT screen, there are plenty of new goodies. Keyless ignition also actuates the fuel cap and seat; yes, that’s an electronically locked seat! As mentioned, it’s just a shame the Quickshifter+ is optional, as is the hill hold control. As you would expect, KTM offers touring cases made from aluminum by Touratech. A top box isn’t listed in the accessories catalogue, but a soft luggage bag is. As usual, KTM offers an Akrapovič slip-on silencer.

KTM Super Adventure R Verdict

I was a huge admirer of the old Super Adventure R, both on and off-road, and that’s still a good bike. But KTM has upped the game for 2021. The ADV R is now more manageable for most riders, and is no longer a bike just for experts. The new subframe, seat, and multi-adjustable controls mean the R will now fit everyone and isn’t as daunting as before. The new switch gear and impressive TFT dash are a big step forward over the old bike.

The Super Adventure R remains a benchmark in the big-bore adventure motorcycle segment when the road ends, but it is also a force to be reckoned with on the street.
The Super Adventure R remains a benchmark in the big-bore adventure motorcycle segment when the road ends, but it is also a force to be reckoned with on the street. (Jason Critchell/)

No matter what the conditions or riding environment, the long-travel suspension has a high level of control. We only got a general sense of what the bike can do off-road, but it should be an improvement over the old bike, which itself set a very high standard. In fact, the R is still a benchmark for big adventure bikes off-road, blowing dust in the faces of many other models in this category.

A great motorcycle, now made even better. And a true off-road adventure bike capable of taking on almost anything.

2021 KTM Super Adventure R Specifications

MSRP: TBA
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled LC8 V-twin
Displacement: 1,301cc
Bore x Stroke: 108.0 x 71.0mm
Compression Ratio: 13.1:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Claimed Horsepower: 160 hp @ 9,000 rpm
Claimed Torque: 102 lb.-ft. @ 6,500 rpm
Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection w/ 52mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Wet, multiplate, PASC slipper function; hydraulically actuated
Engine Management/Ignition: Keihin, ride-by-wire
Frame: Chromoly steel trellis
Front Suspension: WP Xplor 48mm upside-down fork; fully adjustable; 8.7 in. travel
Rear Suspension: WP Xplor PDS monoshock; fully adjustable, 8.7 in. travel
Front Brake: 4-piston radial-mount Brembo calipers, dual 320mm discs w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 2-piston Brembo caliper, 287mm disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: 21 x 2.5 in. / 18 x 4.25 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: 90/90-21 / 150/70-18
Rake/Trail: 25.3°/4.4 in
Wheelbase: 62.1 in. (1,570mm)
Ground Clearance: 9.5 in. (242mm)
Seat Height: 34.6 in. (880mm)
Fuel Capacity: 6.1 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 551 lb.
Availability: Fall 2021 as 2022 model

Source