Calling All Female Riders, Let’s Get Out and Ride on May 1

Hugh Janus

Ladies, start your engines on May 1 for the 15th annual International Female Ride Day.
Ladies, start your engines on May 1 for the 15th annual International Female Ride Day. (Indian Motorcycle/)

I always have a sense of pride and unity when I hear someone shout “Girl power!” when I’m riding or when a fellow female motorist approaches me to talk about motorcycles. There’s a sisterhood of riders out there and it’s growing. Riding isn’t just for the guys, it’s for everyone, and it’s events like International Female Ride Day (IFRD) that help spread awareness of the female demographic in motorcycling. IFRD is a globally celebrated event that encourages the worldwide female rider population, new and current, to get out and ride. And Indian Motorcycle is joining in to show its support for this year’s May 1, 2021 event.

RELATED: International Female Ride Day Almost Here

Explore your local roads as a group or solo. Either way, enjoy the ride and raise awareness for female riders everywhere.
Explore your local roads as a group or solo. Either way, enjoy the ride and raise awareness for female riders everywhere. (Indian Motorcycle/)

On Saturday, all Indian Motorcycle dealers will be handing out free Indian/IFRD co-branded neck gaiters and many dealers will host coordinated group rides. It doesn’t take much to incentivize motorcyclists to ride, but free event-themed swag and group rides with like-minded and adventurous riders are only more reason to get on a motorcycle. Call or visit your local Indian Motorcycle dealer for details.

“It’s exciting to have the support of Indian Motorcycle, and team up to encourage even more women to join the movement,” IFRD founder Vicki Gray said, “This year, women around the world will be active, riding in celebration, unity, and support of the female riding community more than ever before. No matter the vehicle, riding continues to be an exhilarating, liberating, and fulfilling activity for women of all skill levels. The female riding community continues to expand every year, and this is our day to celebrate.”

Author Serena McKnight will be out on the road celebrating IFRD.
Author Serena McKnight will be out on the road celebrating IFRD. (Jeff Allen/)

Photos are bound to be taken, so if you snap shots of your ride, post them on social with #IFRD2021, #FocusFemaleForward, and #InternationalFemaleRideDay hashtags so other riders can be inspired by the movement too. Make sure you tag @CycleWorld as well!

RELATED: 2020 Indian Scout Bobber Sixty First Ride Review

Whatever you ride, be it motorcycle, trike, ATV, UTV, or any other powersport vehicle—solo or in a group—just remember to celebrate on May 1 and make an awesome day of it. I have my Saturday blocked off for riding, so I hope to see you ladies on the road.

For guidance on how to celebrate the event and more information, check out the IFRD website.

Source

What do we want ..equal rights , when do we want it ..when it suits..

come on ladies if you cant mingle and want to divide..... get yourself back in your favourite room

image.png.cbb4730f4c7e9a0d966841bfdabb433e.png

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Each to their own... I tend to feel both sisterhood and brotherhood. 

gender, sexual orientation,, religious choice, eating habits, cultural background, heck, even if you dislike garlic or ride a Harley, none of that matters to me, so I dont see why it is fair there is a women riding day and not a men riding day...

Just ride and have fun. Including alone, that's how I choose to celebrate the 1st of May. 

• Like 1

Well I can’t be arsed with most of it either, the sooner a woman on a bike is not a novelty item and is just another person on a bike the better as far as I’m concerned so I get your sentiment.
But if you want to know why women will attend women only events and not mixed ones its cos they are in the minority and some twattish men will do and say things to put them down, why they are crap and why Johnny big bollocks is better. Some of its just meant as humour but crikey even that you can get pretty tired of  “Bitches on the back, are you sure you can handle that bike love, does your husband know your riding his bike, women just aren’t as good riders as men, mopeds are better fit for women...  and heaven forbid you make a mistake.. 
You and I might be able to brush it off but it knocks the confidence of some repeatedly hearing messages that some men think they’re crap for no other reason than they don’t have a dick so they’d rather ride a bike with only other women for that reason. That and there’s nothing wrong with celebrating being female. “it’s not fair” to have a womens ride day cos men don’t isn’t valid to me. Men and women are different, equality is about equality of opportunity not denial of those differences. 

Personally I don’t mind riding with men, I like them, the vast majority of them would much rather help you out than put you down, but I’ve also ridden with women only and it was a surprising experience, really good so chilled out and friendly, try it Sophia you might like it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well I can’t be arsed with most of it either, the sooner a woman on a bike is not a novelty item and is just another person on a bike the better as far as I’m concerned so I get your sentiment.
But if you want to know why women will attend women only events and not mixed ones its cos they are in the minority and some twattish men will do and say things to put them down, why they are crap and why Johnny big bollocks is better. Some of its just meant as humour but crikey even that you can get pretty tired of  “Bitches on the back, are you sure you can handle that bike love, does your husband know your riding his bike, women just aren’t as good riders as men, mopeds are better fit for women...  and heaven forbid you make a mistake.. 
You and I might be able to brush it off but it knocks the confidence of some repeatedly hearing messages that some men think they’re crap for no other reason than they don’t have a dick so they’d rather ride a bike with only other women for that reason. That and there’s nothing wrong with celebrating being female. “it’s not fair” to have a womens ride day cos men don’t isn’t valid to me. Men and women are different, equality is about equality of opportunity not denial of those differences. 

Personally I don’t mind riding with men, I like them, the vast majority of them would much rather help you out than put you down, but I’ve also ridden with women only and it was a surprising experience, really good so chilled out and friendly, try it Sophia you might like it.

First, man and woman are very different which should be celebrated 

Second, being equal does not mean being the same, sometimes it's tricky to navigate that and respect equally 

Third, its human nature to form tribes, to stick with those that think the same and  are the same at some level.  

Forth, a human only stops fearing another ( feeling insecure or threatened) when they learn about the other, tolerence comes from knowledge, we cannot love what we dont know

Fifth, the way to for the divide to end and women not to feel threatened by the ass holes of the world is to ride together, learn about and from eachother to build mutual confidence and trust

I have the very best friend in the world in the shape of a lady that rides a bike like me and we have ridden together many miles in absolute joy.

On a bike course at the Ring ended up with 2 other ladies and was very nice. Man and woman learn differently and it worked great like that, organically ee ended up together but had started in different groups .

Its very sad to learn how many girls still feel bullied out of things in life. We must never stay silent when we witness such behaviours from ass holes, being it racism, sexism, religionist, whatever. I surely dont and will always call it out.

Having a day for one and a day for another is devisive, to me, but each to their own.

• Like 1

I would love it if I was to stop for a refreshment at my favourite hilltop cafe to find a bunch of motorcycles parked with just women there hanging out.

Frustratingly, it just doesn't happen ...

mr bean frustration GIF

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I would love it if I was to stop for a refreshment at my favourite hilltop cafe to find a bunch of motorcycles parked with just women there hanging out.

Frustratingly, it just doesn't happen ...

mr bean frustration GIF

Better not, you wouldn´t survive all of them falling over you!! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

Why would Pedro be laying on the ground?

It's a hilltop cafe, his breathing isn't that good with his pig snout so he would probably collapse.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Buckster said:

It's a hilltop cafe, his breathing isn't that good with his pig snout so he would probably collapse.

No......women swoon in Pedro's presence as I understand it!

Tonight Show Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

No......women swoon in Pedro's presence as I understand it!

Pretty sure it’s just one, hence the need for crash bars.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2