Western Colorado and Utah - April 10, 2021

Earache

19 minutes ago, Earache said:

Today, Monday, is our last day of the trip and we'll head home to be greeted by snow and freezing temps. We'll ride the Colorado National Monument this morning and then hump it for the mountains of home.

The Store is well kept considering it's closed Eric?

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

The Store is well kept considering it's closed Eric?

Probably not a lot to keeping it, really. The flowers in front were plastic and  otherwise just sits there.

We were thinking it'd make a great motorcycle / mountain bike resort if you built some cabins  and had a campground. Maybe they don't have enough water available to do that, I dunno. Not a lot going on there, but several groups of ADV bikes rode past while we sat there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earache said:

Probably not a lot to keeping it, really. The flowers in front were plastic and  otherwise just sits there.

We were thinking it'd make a great motorcycle / mountain bike resort if you built some cabins  and had a campground. Maybe they don't have enough water available to do that, I dunno. Not a lot going on there, but several groups of ADV bikes rode past while we sat there.

Is it out in the wilderness then?

Road thru Gateway is a Butler Maps Gold Route - some fine, fine tarmac!   I think each time thru there we've been "cautioned" by the locals on our speed ?

Have you ever taken that dirt road cutoff along the Dolores River?  Comes out near Bedrock

• Like 2

Up and at'em early today as we have a long day ahead of us.

Looking out at the Colorado National Monument from our hotel room, it's along the ridge on the bluffs outside of town....

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

• Like 2

It's funny how from town, the Monument doesn't look like much. And from the Monument, town doesn't look like much. Wonder how it looks from above?

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

• Like 2

We fueled up once we got to town and then immediately hit the interstate to blast the 250 miles to home. It was 81F (28C) when we left and 24F (-1C)  three and a half hours later when  I got home. Froze my ass off getting home.

And we're expecting 8+" of snow tomorrow while it's still gonna be 80F in Grand Junction.

It's enough to make ya mad.

Final day video from Phil once it's available.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 08:11, alfalfa said:

Road thru Gateway is a Butler Maps Gold Route - some fine, fine tarmac!   I think each time thru there we've been "cautioned" by the locals on our speed ?

Have you ever taken that dirt road cutoff along the Dolores River?  Comes out near Bedrock

Yes! There's always a ton of mountain bikers out there as well. That's why I think the store would be a great place for an adventure cabin / beer joint stop. They just need to develop it in a new direction.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

Those roads and views are incredible Eric!

There are some great roads out there, just not visited by many as it doesn't really go anywhere.

• Like 1