2021 Kawasaki KLX 300 and KLX300SM First Ride

Hugh Janus

Kawasaki has two choices for street-legal small-bore fun based on the KLX300R: the  supermoto-syled KLX300SM shown here and the KLX300 dual sport.
Kawasaki has two choices for street-legal small-bore fun based on the KLX300R: the supermoto-syled KLX300SM shown here and the KLX300 dual sport. (Kevin Wing/)

A year ago Kawasaki introduced its KLX300R, an affordable user-friendly off-road enduro model appealing to dirt riders of all ability levels. At the time it was only natural to ponder the possibility of a road-legal dual sport version to follow. We didn’t have to wait long. Kawasaki has introduced a pair of road-legal KLX300 models for 2021. Offered alongside the on-and-off-road-capable KLX300 dual sport is the KLX300SM, a supermoto version for pavement-pounders seeking an affordable and ultra-agile urban scraper with roomy ergonomics and thrilling backroad potential.

There’s a chance you may have already seen or sat astride the KLX300, as both versions have been available in dealerships for some time now. With COVID restrictions beginning to lift, Kawasaki recently invited members of the motorcycle press to Folsom, California, for two days of play aboard its fun-evoking KLX300 duo. As to be expected, the event was conducted in adherence to social-distancing protocol; to this end, the technical brief was held via a Zoom conference call a few days before the ride, and once on-site in Folsom, a face mask was to be worn when not wearing a helmet. Seems helmets can reduce the spread of the virus somewhat; who knew? Anyway, despite there being no group meals or broin’ at the hotel bar, it was great to get out and bump elbows with fellow enthusiasts.

The dual sport KLX300 is fit with a 21-inch front tire and 18-inch rear.
The dual sport KLX300 is fit with a 21-inch front tire and 18-inch rear. (Kevin Wing/)

Our first day began with us riding a varied route incorporating freeway, winding pavement, and dirt backroads threading through the Sierra Nevada foothills aboard the dual sport KLX300. We spent the later part of the day trail riding at Prairie City SVRA off-road park. The next day found us tracing a similar route, sans dirt roads and trails, aboard the KLX300SM, once again arriving later at Prairie City for an afternoon hot-lapping the facility’s paved kart track.

Supermoto-sized 17-inch wheels, shorter suspension, and a larger front brake differentiate the KLX300SM from its dual sport sibling.
Supermoto-sized 17-inch wheels, shorter suspension, and a larger front brake differentiate the KLX300SM from its dual sport sibling. (Kevin Wing/)

Engine-wise, the KLX300 retains the 61.2mm stroke of its 249cc predecessor, but uses a 6mm-larger bore. Its four-valve head shares the same cam profiles as the KLX300R. The fuel-injected liquid-cooled DOHC four-stroke 292cc single-cylinder engine churns out ultra-linear delivery from bottom revs to its 10,500 rpm limit. Power is accented with a whisper of top-end surge that comes in around 8,000 rpm and can be felt in the bottom gears of the six-speed gearbox. The chassis is a direct carryover from the KLX250 and features a lightweight perimeter steel frame and aluminum D-section swingarm. A 43mm inverted cartridge-style fork offers 16-way-adjustable compression damping and 10 inches of travel. Supporting the rear is a gas-charged piggyback reservoir shock offering preload adjustability and 30-way rebound damping adjustments to its 9.1 inches of rear wheel travel. Wheel size is a standard off-road combo of 21-inch front and 18-inch rear fitted with Dunlop D605 dual sport rubber.

A 292cc four-stroke single powers both street-legal KLX300 models.
A 292cc four-stroke single powers both street-legal KLX300 models. (Kevin Wing/)

I stand 5-foot-10 with a 32-inch inseam, and I found the KLX’s 35.2-inch unladen seat height does require a bit of a leg hike to mount. With the suspension compressed a few inches under my 185 pounds, my boot heels still hovered an inch off the ground with both feet down. Even so, I had little difficulty backing the light KLX out of a parking stall. Beyond that I rarely put both feet down, making traffic signals and trailside stops stable one-footed affairs.

Equipped with EFI and convenient electric start, the KLX proved hassle-free to cold start, a momentary bump of the thumb button effortlessly prodding the motor into a smooth idle. The bike’s compact battery doesn’t offer much surplus capacity, as discovered by a few riders in the group who repeatedly left the ignition key on during our frequent engine-off photo stops, but the KLX bump-started with ease.

The initial leg of our ride, along US Route 50, provided a positive impression of the bike’s freeway manners. The engine features a gear-driven counterbalancer that does an excellent job smoothing vibes, with only a light buzz detected in the bars and footrest, mildly gaining intensity when engine revs climb beyond 6,000 rpm. At an indicated 70 mph in top gear, the LCD bar-type tachometer registers 7,500 rpm. The KLX hums along contentedly at that pace and will pull upwards of 8,500 rpm on a level stretch; however, the assistance of a downhill grade or tailwind is needed to tap the remaining 2,000 revs in sixth.

The KLX300′s cockpit is spacious and comfortable, and engine vibrations are well controlled via a gear-driven counterbalancer.
The KLX300′s cockpit is spacious and comfortable, and engine vibrations are well controlled via a gear-driven counterbalancer. (Kevin Wing/)

The KLX’s upright riding position provides generous legroom, a relaxed feel, and a deeply padded urethane seat, a combination that suggests decent comfort range, though that couldn’t be confirmed on our fairly short 70-mile ride loop. I can say with certainty, however, that the airflow at head and shoulders level was without buffet, a credit to the stubby cowl above the headlight.

Venturing onto a narrow winding backroad, the nimble KLX tipped into corners with just a hint of steering input. I initially felt the bike was too willing to fall in when entering slow to medium speed bends, a sensation I became accustomed to after a few miles of curves. Its plush suspension soaks up road bumps and ripples with ease, yet offers good damping control, delivering a comforting sense of overall stability and composure. Its light-effort clutch and slick shift action made selecting the proper gear easy work, and there’s enough low-end torque available to pull cleanly out of corners when you choose to play it mellow.

When we left the pavement for a groomed gravel road, the chassis continued to track straight and true at speed whether seated or standing. Perching on the pegs felt natural, as the KLX300′s ergos are more akin to a full-size dual sport than small-displacement playbike. The road became more entertaining as rain-filled potholes of varying size provided a 50 mph slalom. The bike threaded through the larger water holes with ease and control; a total blast.

At a casual pace the KLX300 has great trail manners.
At a casual pace the KLX300 has great trail manners. (Kevin Wing/)

Prairie City offered a variety of slower technical terrain, including rutted single-track climbs, rocky creek beds, loamy sand, berms, and whoops. Being a casual trail rider at best, I appreciated the mild-mannered KLX300 when shaking off years of off-road riding rust. Intuitive throttle response and predictable power delivery help maintain rear grip. The engine chugs smoothly at its 1,800 rpm idle speed in low gear, with no hesitation as the throttle is cracked open, making it all the better when picking a line through the cannonball-sized river rocks littering several of the trails. The suspension had no issue dealing with anything I was inclined to tackle, such as hopping a log, rolling the whoops, or catching a pitifully modest amount of air. Your dual sport aspirations may well be more demanding.

The KLX300′s suspension handled small hops and jumps with ease; fast, aggressive riders will most likely find the limits quickly.
The KLX300′s suspension handled small hops and jumps with ease; fast, aggressive riders will most likely find the limits quickly. (Kevin Wing/)

Being primarily a road rider, I immediately felt at home astride the KLX300SM for our supermoto play day. Its lowered suspension and 17-inch wheels amount to a 1.3-inch reduction in saddle height and allowed me a solid flat-foot stance. Cruising the freeway stretch at 70 mph registered a more relaxed 7,000 rpm on the tachometer due to a rear sprocket three teeth smaller than the KLX300′s. The SM also has rubber-topped footrests that effectively isolate what little vibration is felt through the dual sport’s dirt-style footrests. I also detected a slight reduction of vibes in the hand grips at any given rpm, something I assume can be attributed to a change of harmonic pitch with the SM’s inch narrower bar width. Or perhaps it’s the street-style mirrors? I digress.

On the road the KLX300SM’s firmer springs and 17-inch wheels give more road feel and less weight transfer during acceleration and braking.
On the road the KLX300SM’s firmer springs and 17-inch wheels give more road feel and less weight transfer during acceleration and braking. (Kevin Wing/)

Traveling a few of the same backroads as the previous day offered an interesting contrast in chassis feel. Compared with its dual sport sibling, the suspension spring rate of the SM is 39 percent firmer up front and 23 percent firmer at the rear. The result is dramatically greater tactile feel for the road surface, as in “dang, this road is kinda rough,” along with reduced fore-aft chassis motion when accelerating, and particularly so when applying a handful of front brake. The SM’s steering is very neutral and light in effort without the tippy feel I experienced the previous day. Despite the reduction in rake and trail, the sense of straight-line stability at speed hasn’t been compromised.

A highlight of the event was leathering up and lapping the kart track. A mix of foot-out moto-style in the circuit’s tightest hairpins and knee-dragging in the faster bends proved a fun and effective way to rip it up. I came away impressed with the level of grip offered by the IRC Road Winner tires, which allowed peg-scratching cornering lean without a slip or slide. The SM’s larger-diameter (and 1mm thicker) floating front brake also impressed, offering fade-free stopping performance and a consistent firm lever feel. While many KLX300SM owners may not have access to a kart circuit, it doesn’t hurt to know the bike does have the potential.

The KLX300SM was a blast on the karting track with fade-free braking and impressive grip from the IRC Road Winner tires.
The KLX300SM was a blast on the karting track with fade-free braking and impressive grip from the IRC Road Winner tires. (Kevin Wing/)

Which KLX300 model is the best choice for you will come down to riding priority. If off-road capability is in the cards, the choice is obvious; the dual sport provides that while still being an equally excellent economical commuter. But if dirt is an annoyance that you wipe off your shoes on the doormat before entry, the KLX300SM is a surefooted bet.

2021 Kawasaki KLX300 Specifications

MSRP: $5,599
Engine: 292cc DOHC liquid-cooled single
Bore x Stroke: 78.0 x 61.2mm
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Fuel System: DFI w/ 34mm Keihin throttle body
Clutch: Wet, multiplate
Engine Management/Ignition: CDI
Frame: High-tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Front Suspension: 43mm USD fork; compression adjustable; 10 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak piggyback shock; preload and rebound adjustable; 9.1 in. travel
Front Brake: 2-piston caliper,250mm petal disc
Rear Brake: 1-piston caliper, 240mm petal disc
Wheels, Front/Rear: Spoked; 21/17 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: Dunlop D605; 21 x 3.0 in. / 18 x 4.6 in.
Rake/Trail: 26.7°/4.2 in.
Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
Ground Clearance: 10.8 in.
Seat Height: 35.2 in.
Fuel Capacity: 2.0 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 302 lb.
Availability: Now

2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM Specifications

MSRP: $5,999
Engine: 292cc DOHC liquid-cooled single
Bore x Stroke: 78.0 x 61.2mm
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Fuel System: DFI w/ 34mm Keihin throttle body
Clutch: Wet, multiplate
Engine Management/Ignition: CDI
Frame: High-tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Front Suspension: 43mm USD fork; compression adjustable; 9.1 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak piggyback shock; preload and rebound adjustable; 8.1 in. travel
Front Brake: 2-piston caliper, 300mm petal disc
Rear Brake: 1-piston caliper, 240mm petal disc
Wheels, Front/Rear: Spoked; 17/17 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: IRC Road Winner; 110/70-17 / 130/70-17
Rake/Trail: 25.0°/2.8 in.
Wheelbase: 56.5 in.
Ground Clearance: 9.3 in.
Seat Height: 33.9 in.
Fuel Capacity: 2.0 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 304 lb.
Availability: Now

Source