LEJOG

Slowlycatchymonkey

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

He does look quite chilled there Bob!

Given his track record I suppose he's a pretty good rider offroad?

He's pretty good, Paul the miserable looking git on the left taught him well :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

He's pretty good, Paul the miserable looking git on the left taught him well :classic_laugh:

You've got experience of some of these high profile guys Bob......who do you rate as the most skilful offroad?

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You've got experience of some of these high profile guys Bob......who do you rate as the most skilful offroad?

I've only really ridden with Austin , he doesn't seem to have any fear.  If you look at him going up a steep , loose climb he looks like he's out for a sunday stroll.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Never ridden with Paul but whenever i bump into him you can kiss the day goodbye the pair of us together will talk the hind leg off a donkey. :classic_laugh: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renegade said:

Around 1978 as well. Bike was a Triumph T110

You were on old Brits late.....72 was the end of that shite for me!

The 3TA Triumph was replaced by a Suzuki Hustler 250.......which I think counts as a valid excuse for Suzuki ownership!

What you say @Tym?

Bike before that was this thing when pa was stationed at Southern Command in Tampa. 125 Kawasaki loved the thing for the place and time, seized it a few times before she finally died tboning  a 67 mustang fastback in my high schools parking lot.

.6d905165706427c2701b2f73a1489a3c.jpeg.5864567e79e6c55786655f338b76e40a.jpeg

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You were on old Brits late.....72 was the end of that shite for me!

Still got a thing for Triumphs, bought this a few years ago then sold it and bought the blue ZRX

DSCF0093.JPG

DSCF3441.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have to confess up to this point on the mechanical front I’ve just winged it, I have breakdown cover and that is as far as it goes. I’m thinking in the highlands it would be sensible to carry a puncture repair kit and a multitool. Whenever I’ve had any grief on the road someone has always kindly stopped to help and if you don’t have the right stuff they can’t. 

The leatherman’s seem to be the high end recommendation but I dunno why or what I’m looking for. I’m a bit lost and bored looking at multi tools and puncture repair kits with no clue. So wotcha fink?

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have to confess up to this point on the mechanical front I’ve just winged it, I have breakdown cover and that is as far as it goes. I’m thinking in the highlands it would be sensible to carry a puncture repair kit and a multitool. Whenever I’ve had any grief on the road someone has always kindly stopped to help and if you don’t have the right stuff they can’t. 

The leatherman’s seem to be the high end recommendation but I dunno why or what I’m looking for. I’m a bit lost and bored looking at multi tools and puncture repair kits with no clue. So wotcha fink?

@boboneleg is your man!

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I never bothered with these multi tools i find them awkward and cumbersome to use and end up damaging the things your working on, much better to take the tools you need. If your looking to repair punctures you  will need the tools to remove the wheels and obviously tyre levers spare tubes or puncture repair kit. Best way to work out what you need is to take things off in the garage look at what tools you used and duplicate them to keep with the bike.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I never bothered with these multi tools i find them awkward and cumbersome to use and end up damaging the things your working on, much better to take the tools you need. If your looking to repair punctures you  will need the tools to remove the wheels and obviously tyre levers spare tubes or puncture repair kit. Best way to work out what you need is to take things off in the garage look at what tools you used and duplicate them to keep with the bike.

What Fred said .  I carry a leatherman but that's just for basics.  At the very least carry a tyre compressor so at least you can inflate a flat until you get to a garage.

What's the Himalayan tool kit like , could you remove either wheel with it ? If not you need to be thinking about a tool kit that will do the job ?

• Like 1

On 20/03/2021 at 11:20, Pedro said:

What's the thing with owning two of the same bike, @Renegade?

I have been close to doing it once, that's why I ask :classic_laugh:

I've had the red ZRX for 20 years, it has never let me down. So I am giving it a rest in it's old age and decided that because it has been such a great bike I would get another one to last me another 20 years (I'll be 88 then)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Almost finished packing. So much extra stuff if you want to be able to camp on route. Reckon Id rather stay in whatever lousy hotel is available than lug all this crap on and off the bike everyday! But tis good insurance if the hotels are booked up. Have loaded myself up with a lot of tech and dont know how to use any of it, new phone, new camera, helmet cam I still dont know how to use, a thing on the handlebars to make a phone call from the helmet that I also dunno how to use.

I said to my other half- 

“Christ Ive gone from one extreme to another, loads of gear and I dont know how to use it, what’s that phrase for a moron with all the kit and no clue?”

“Oh all the gear and no idea” he replied

“oh yeah thats me except if there was one on from that Id be that”

“There is.....”

“What is it then”

pause.... 

“All the stash n youre still gash”

I think this’ll go swimmingly 😂

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Almost finished packing. So much extra stuff if you want to be able to camp on route. Reckon Id rather stay in whatever lousy hotel is available than lug all this crap on and off the bike everyday! But tis good insurance if the hotels are booked up. Have loaded myself up with a lot of tech and dont know how to use any of it, new phone, new camera, helmet cam I still dont know how to use, a thing on the handlebars to make a phone call from the helmet that I also dunno how to use.

I said to my other half- 

“Christ Ive gone from one extreme to another, loads of gear and I dont know how to use it, what’s that phrase for a moron with all the kit and no clue?”

“Oh all the gear and no idea” he replied

“oh yeah thats me except if there was one on from that Id be that”

“There is.....”

“What is it then”

pause.... 

“All the stash n youre still gash”

I think this’ll go swimmingly 😂

How many others will be with you Caroline?