LEJOG

Slowlycatchymonkey

Not the most inspired ride in the world but hey its likely doable soon which is currently the most important criteria for me. My husband passed his test a wee bit over year ago and I’ve been manoeuvring him towards the idea of bike touring (slowlycatchymonkey n all that) with the intention of going far flung with it after he’s found his feet so to speak. My plans are now over a year behind due to the evil C and this was always intended to be the first step so I’m genuinely thrilled its starting to happen.

LEJOG seems the easiest most gentle way to break someone into this idea and to make it as painless as possible I’ve signed 3 of us up for Nathan Millward’s Garbage Run. 

It kicks off on the 22nd May Lands End. I’m really looking forward to it. We should get a good flavour of what gear works for us and what daily mileage we’re comfortable with, seems a good way to do a test run.

I’ve been on an organised tour in the past and swore I’d never do one again. Stuck with a load of randoms, shuffled from one point to another on someone else agenda- no thanks. But I’m keen for this to go smoothly and after discussing it with others it seems a lot of places are already very booked up plus this is only semi guided- you are given the route and start n stop in the same places as everyone else but youre free to ride on your tod at your own pace. So fingers crossed all goes well. I cant wait to get out on my bike proper styley again and booking something like this after the year we’ve all had feels like winning the lottery!

https://www.thegarbagerun.com/original-garbage-run

Brace yourself for all sorts of odd posts of the prep the run and the aftermath!

CF0666C8-93A7-45F9-8772-0F19DA4B5D78.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Nathan seems a really nice guy too!

Yeah Ive heard him talk a few times, he seems pleasant and down to earth. Some overlanders seem to get lost in how brilliant they think they are but he’s definitely not one of them. Not sure if I should read his book before I go but then again I’m chewing my way through Hunter S Thompson’s Hell’s Angels at the moment and two pages of that is the equivalent of a handful of sleeping tablets ?

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Some overlanders seem to get lost in how brilliant they think they are

The nicest guy I've found, and I speak to him a lot on FB, is Sam Manicom.

And whatever event he goes to he's always surrounded by ladies! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The nicest guy I've found, and I speak to him a lot on FB, is Sam Manicom.

And whatever event he goes to he's always surrounded by ladies! 

Top dude is Sam, always time to have a chat with you ?

sounds like a good plan, allows you to concentrate on riding and enjoying without having to spend weeks planning. I think Nathan is pretty down to earth from what I've read so should be a fairly relaxed organisation. Take loads of pics and report back here when finished please. I'd love to know how it goes. 

• Like 1

When I started with this post I thought LeJog would be some kind of french bicycle race :classic_laugh:

Why don't you just get on your bikes with a destination 100 or 200km away, and then figure out where to go next? You'd be to your own (non) schedule and no goals except finding your own pace. If you end up at your destination at 1PM and wish to carry on you just do it, that's the way to travel. I mention this because I've never had such a good time on a bike as following this model. You get on with a goal that is easy to reach and once there you either find a place to sleep and enjoy the rest of the day, or find another goal and another place to sleep. With today's smartphones and easy browsing and bookings it is so easy to do. Plus, you'll enjoy each other a whole lot more. Just a suggestion!

How long have you been on motorcycles? I hope it doesn't come across as sexist but it's not everyday you hear about a man starting on motorcycles because of a woman, I love that!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

When I started with this post I thought LeJog would be some kind of french bicycle race :classic_laugh:

Why don't you just get on your bikes with a destination 100 or 200km away, and then figure out where to go next? You'd be to your own (non) schedule and no goals except finding your own pace. If you end up at your destination at 1PM and wish to carry on you just do it, that's the way to travel. I mention this because I've never had such a good time on a bike as following this model. You get on with a goal that is easy to reach and once there you either find a place to sleep and enjoy the rest of the day, or find another goal and another place to sleep. With today's smartphones and easy browsing and bookings it is so easy to do. Plus, you'll enjoy each other a whole lot more. Just a suggestion!

How long have you been on motorcycles? I hope it doesn't come across as sexist but it's not everyday you hear about a man starting on motorcycles because of a woman, I love that!

Oh that’s definitely the way I’d prefer to travel but just this time I’m choosing to let someone else do the organising because I think that unless you’ve done it that way before (which my husband hasn’t) or you naturally have that personality type (I do, he doesnt) then its a bit of a leap into the dark so breaking it down into smaller components and easing him into it is I think the key to a good first experience that he’ll want to repeat. The daily mileage is low and your left to your own devices so it’ll be dandy.

The other consideration is everything here is already seriously booked up with the whole nation seemingly having a staycation this year, I’m currently trying to find somewhere to stay the night before the off and everywhere is fully booked or ridiculously overpriced. I was chatting to a guy who’s also doing LEJOG end of May and he’s not been able to find any accommodation in the places he wanted and he’s taking the same route as us.

Its not sexist at all, its just a matter of fact isn’t it that it’s usually the other way round with women getting into bikes because of their fellas. Got my first bike 2017 and then 2019 I rode through the Himalaya to Everest and that was the final straw, he thought “That looks fun, I’m missing out and want a bit of that” and now we’re at the point where he’s really excited about motorcycle travel and is considering Spain, France or Germany next. Exciting times ahead I hope.

That sounds like quite an introduction into touring. Way to go!

I do hope Portugal doesn't go the same way as you are saying is happening to the UK. I am tired of humanity and just want everything to myself, is it too much to ask? :classic_laugh:

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Its not sexist at all, its just a matter of fact isn’t it that it’s usually the other way round with women getting into bikes because of their fellas. Got my first bike 2017 and then 2019 I rode through the Himalaya to Everest and that was the final straw, he thought “That looks fun, I’m missing out and want a bit of that” and now we’re at the point where he’s really excited about motorcycle travel and is considering Spain, France or Germany next. Exciting times ahead I hope.

Oh @XTreme, this reminded me of that Australian couple from an old forum, maybe DSUK who left the UK after living there for a few years, to travel around Europe on a pair of Honda Transalps before flying back home to Australia. What where their names?

They came to visit and me on their trip, and me my brother had dinner with them, and then took them to Porto at night by car, to show them how the town they spent most of that same day trying to navigate their way out off on the bikes looked like if you knew your way around :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

He did a lovely talk on the Armchair Adventure Festival a couple of weeks back. I was struck by what a gentle sounding guy he was. Ive never heard anyone say anything about him that isn’t nice.

He is.....you could listen to him all day as his voice is so relaxing.

Unlike Austin Vince who's always so hyped up he sounds like he's off his head on amphetamines! :classic_laugh:

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Unlike Austin Vince who's always so hyped up he sounds like he's off his head on amphetamines! :classic_laugh:

A slightly cross, exasperated sounding teacher I think. But he did do a superb talk on the best way to record your travels, his teaching credentials made it all very easy to follow to the extent I might even have a go ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Got my first bike 2017

Sounds like you need exposure to the 70's motorcycling culture to give you a better overview of things young lady!

And it just so happens that I'm still living in that era of personal excesses and debauchery! So is my toothless old mate @Renegade

In fact, I still wipe my cock on the curtains now......just can't break the habit. :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Sounds like you need exposure to the 70's motorcycling culture to give you a better overview of things young lady!

And it just so happens that I'm still living in that era of personal excesses and debauchery! So is my toothless old mate @Renegade

In fact, I still wipe my cock on the curtains now......just can't break the habit. :classic_cool:

Father with barely contained hooligan tendencies so educated in the ways of the ill fated. Happy to report I never witnessed any curtain staining but then washing machines were a thing by then werent they? ?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Father with barely contained hooligan tendencies so educated in the ways of the ill fated. Happy to report I never witnessed any curtain staining but then washing machines were a thing by then werent they? ?

1978.......the year after the long hair went!

Bike is a Kawasaki Z650.

z65078.jpg.1361340bd1c5406d183060ce3628891f.jpg

35 minutes ago, XTreme said:

1978.......the year after the long hair went!

Bike is a Kawasaki Z650.

z65078.jpg.1361340bd1c5406d183060ce3628891f.jpg

Ah now he looks like a nice boy who know how to use tissues rather than his Mams curtains ?

Got a photo of my pops somewhere with a Jimi Hendrix afro the year before long hair went, literally it all fell out ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ah now he looks like a nice boy who know how to use tissues rather than his Mams curtains ?

Got a photo of my pops somewhere with a Jimi Hendrix afro the year before long hair went, literally it all fell out ?

Didn't you say he rode bikes Caroline?

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Still does ?

004747B4-1507-4D43-AC09-D2DA0D84222C.jpeg

Brilliant! How old is he now and what's he got?

Why don't you invite him to come here.......he can mix with his own kind! Not many of us left!

And I'm not talking age group....I'm talking Greaser culture!

There are old bike guys on other forums........but they are somewhat different as you've seen.

He’s 73 now. Well Pete he’s a self contained person who doesn’t like other people, even if he joined he’d last less than 5 minutes before deciding we were all deficient in one way or another and a waste of his time. Not something any of us could disagree with ?

He’s content to play his guitar n ride his bike. Lucky git.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

He’s 73 now. Well Pete he’s a self contained person who doesn’t like other people, even if he joined he’d last less than 5 minutes before deciding we were all deficient in one way or another and a waste of his time. Not something any of us could disagree with ?

He’s content to play his guitar n ride his bike. Lucky git.

Give him my best then Caroline!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

There ya go Pete, Austin in a more relaxed mood , trail riding in Wales back in the day....................

1124193854_austin14_04.07028.jpg.11587b54e501fe880e1dd1b6fe1b9e4c.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

There ya go Pete, Austin in a more relaxed mood , trail riding in Wales back in the day....................

1124193854_austin14_04.07028.jpg.11587b54e501fe880e1dd1b6fe1b9e4c.jpg

He does look quite chilled there Bob!

Given his track record I suppose he's a pretty good rider offroad?