Welcome Sofia

Admin

Hello everyone!! Thanks for having me!

My friend Pedro Rocha pointed me in your direction because he knows how much I love the UK and the UK bike scene and how much I miss it. From 2001 to 2009 I lived in the UK, it was where I got my first bike, and all the others afterwards actually!! Currently I live in Portugal and try to go out as much as possible, although haven't done a lot recently because I started my own small animal vet practice and have concentrated on that. I am also going to run a moto tours business, which is something I really love to do.

Being a total numpty when it comes to off road ridding and half a numpty on the road ,  I am hoping to learn a lot of things here!! 

Again, thanks for having me!! 

IMG-20190901-WA0010.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great to see you Sofia.......but not everybody here is UK based.

There's me and a couple of other Brits who are in Spain! And one Brit in France! Plus there's a few Americans here as well.

And you're going to do Moto Tours as well as a Veterinary practice? That's brilliant! ?

Post up some of your bike pics in Show us your Bikes!

I see, adventure travel, World Wide! Makes sense. 

Yes, still trying to decide if I am a biking vet or a Vet biker! Its complicated!! 

For a while I was in charge of the RAT Pack at Jack Lilley Triumph and organized a few trips around Europe, discovered I liked it and after a few years dreaming about doing it as a business, decided to go for it! Haven't really finalized it yet, but hope to do two this year, near the end of 2020. 

Will post some pictures. 

• Like 3

Sofia is one of my best friends!

I've told her you're a bunch of reprobates and not like the nice people she met while working the UK, but here she is anyway... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello and welcome Sofia

In a few weeks time you'll be saying to Pedro, 'eeewwww, what's wrong with those guys' and Pedro will laugh hysterically.

Hi!!

Well spotted!! I was up North in my innicial stages in the UK, which was great to be able to deal with down South when moved to London. I started in Leeds, then Manchester, then Cheshire. 4 years of Northen England. I was very, very happy there. One of the reasons I left Portugal was because I wanted a bike and after 3 month in the UK I had one. I had the bike, the friends and the life I knew I wanted, but never thought I'd get!! For that, and so many more reasons, the UK is my real home. I landed in a job that had 5 bikers and then made friends with a very good group of guys in Cheshire and my biking life was a lot more then I could have ever dreament!! North Wales, Peak District, Lake District, yorkshiredales. Every weekend but also during the week, because I was working with the Foot a d Mouth outbreak and only had a bike, so that is how how I went to work most days, even in the bleak month of March 2001. I literally went from zero to hero in 3 month!! On a magical little bike, Hornet 250. I travelled from Cheshire to Lisbon on that bike, with its tiny 4 cilinders!! Through a massive storm that landed us ( me and the bike!) In Roscoff, France instead of Santander, Spain! My first ever solo trip was for sure the best start to adventuring any adventure rider can have. But that is another, very long, story.

And I wont go into North-Sourh divisons, but, and much more relevant, I shall declare my allience in the War of the Roses to Lancashire, not Yorkshire!! 

Pedro is experienced with UK biking culture from afar. Is life has a huge whole in that he never had the chance to be there in person, to live it, to be around what is for sure the funniest, nicest, craziest  biking scene ever!  Maybe one day, who knows, he can spend some time there! You guys could push him a long, he needs a push to go North!!

Saying that, it is true bikes and bikers have changed a lot. We have the Pre-Long Way Round Era and the Pos-Long Way Round Era, where BMW GS stopped being the Old  man-odd (and very tall!)-unfashionable-bike to the hip-modern-racy-fashionable bike. Best bike in the World, true fact, but not my choice.

Im very fortunate to have experienced so much in the UK. My love for bikes is old, as old as me basically and because I was brought up by an Anglophile, there could not be a better combination or a better place to be for me! I was Triumph through and through before I left Portugal and my heart is Speed Triple, so after having a crash on the Hornet, upgraded to the first 1050 in 2005, when I moved to London and became the Rat Pack girl at Jack Lilleys. Actually I lived in Sunningdale, so I didnt have the "pleasure" of the London pollution!! Another fabulous 4 years, new group of friends, different biking scene. Many trips to the Continent, alone or leading groups, weekly nights at the Ace cafe and weekend trips to the Surrey country side, mainly Newlan's Corner.  Around 15 000 miles a year, I WAS busy!! And in between a challenge, Lands End to John O'Groats in less then "some" hours, have you heard of it?! Another story... made it, with some delays courtesy of the  boys in blue!! Most surprised face I have ever seen, on that Scottish Policeman, when my helmet came off!! We have to do stupid things when we are young  ( maybe when we are old too, maybe!), its how it goes. Great times!!   

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Says the boat adventurer ?

What do you mean boat? He rides a GS Adventure with extra large panniers? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sofia said:

What do you mean boat? He rides a GS Adventure with extra large panniers? 

He used to until his wife told him he wasn’t allowed anymore, he is hoping to get permission to get a scooter one day. I heard she may even allow him to wear big boy pants soon as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Buckster said:

He used to until his wife told him he wasn’t allowed anymore, he is hoping to get permission to get a scooter one day. I heard she may even allow him to wear big boy pants soon as well.

gogiphy.gif

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

As he also been banished to the man shed?! 

Its very important to keep the wife happy, very!! Easy life, priceless!