Digging out

Earache

We're up over 36 inches / 92cm of snow now and the plow guy showed up to try to dig us out, but it's coming down too fast. He's gonna try again tomorrow.  Sure looks pretty though!

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Earache said:

We're up over 36 inches / 92cm of snow now and the plow guy showed up to try to dig us out, but it's coming down too fast. He's gonna try again tomorrow.  Sure looks pretty though!

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

WOW, that looks so extreme. 

I'd just stock up on wood during the summer and frozen and canned food to last for 3 weeks as a minimum.

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

WOW, that looks so extreme. 

I'd just stock up on wood during the summer and frozen and canned food to last for 3 weeks as a minimum.

It's going to be  about 50F/10C  on Friday, most of it will probably be gone by then. But the driveway is clear enough to get out of in the truck....once I uncover the truck?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Earache said:

It's going to be  about 50F/10C  on Friday, most of it will probably be gone by then. But the driveway is clear enough to get out of in the truck....once I uncover the truck?

Rationally I understand that, but I am used to being a 1 minute walk from a bakery, or 10 minute walk from a small supermarket. The thought of being stuck because of snow in a house that is 20 or 30 minutes away from groceries when the weather is clear would make me want to create a doomsday pantry :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Earache one of the things i was thinking about the other day was how do you keep your windscreens clear in sub zero temperatures at 0c my vans washers are frozen all day had to pull over to clean the windscreen from the salt sprayed up on it from other vehicles.

19 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

@Earache one of the things i was thinking about the other day was how do you keep your windscreens clear in sub zero temperatures at 0c my vans washers are frozen all day had to pull over to clean the windscreen from the salt sprayed up on it from other vehicles.

We use windsheild fluid that doesnt freeze Sir!! Still, you then run out quick! And it still freezes...lol

• Like 1

Front heated windshields are great for that. My car has one and it is great when compared to the previous one that didn't in those extreme cold situations. I only really needed it a couple of times while driving on each car, though. For a car that is parked outside where you often drive off with a frozen shield it is very useful.

I felt like a boss next to my spanish partners when they were scraping away at ice on their shields and I had a clear screen within a minute or two :classic_laugh:

If you like a cristal clear and pristine windshield, the bad part is that you can see the heating elements if you want to, at night with oncoming lights they're particularly distracting.

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

1 hour ago, Tym said:

We use windsheild fluid that doesnt freeze Sir!! Still, you then run out quick! And it still freezes...lol

Tym nailed it. Most of our washer fluid is good to about -20F (-29C), but you can buy stuff that is good much lower than that. I never skimp and buy the cheap stuff as it'll freeze quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tym said:

Dont let him fool you, its a dry snow! LOL ? Awesome fall of snow! :littleguy:

It is a dry snow, not heavy at all to shovel. But there is a shit ton of it to shovel.

I've cleared my front porch 3 times today, each time had over a foot of snow on it. Drifts are really big and I have nowhere to through the snow.

Tomorrow I have to try to get over to the local school and start shoveling there so that they can open on Tuesday (already called off Monday). That is going to be quite a bit of work. I'll try to post some pics from there.

• Like 4

Had a great time early this morning at the local school as the snow crew (3 of us) tried to get through the drifts and into the school. I shoveled emergency exits all day, but the strong winds were filling it back in as fast as I could shovel it. So we cancelled school for the day. Gonna get back at it tomorrow morning and try to open by 8:00 AM. 

Great sunrise today!

20210315_070711.jpg

20210315_071152.jpg

20210315_071426.jpg

20210315_071433.jpg

20210315_071445.jpg

20210315_072110.jpg

20210315_072115.jpg

20210315_073824.jpg

20210315_083933.jpg

20210315_085736.jpg

20210315_085756.jpg

20210315_085809.jpg

• Like 5

That indeed is a good sunrise.

Since the school depends on it, and the road is apparently clear, wouldn't it make more sense to have a motorized snowblower?

19 hours ago, Pedro said:

That indeed is a good sunrise.

Since the school depends on it, and the road is apparently clear, wouldn't it make more sense to have a motorized snowblower?

The only thing we shovel are steps. And since the school is on a mountainside, there are lots of steps. Wish a snowblower would work there, but only a shovel will do the job.

19 hours ago, XTreme said:

I couldn't handle it.....you must be fit Eric!

Fit is a word that has never been used to describe me - not in the last 20 years at least. Stout, tank-like and ox-like have been used, but not fit.

3 days of shoveling and I'm sore as shit. Even my elbows are sore. Just finished up at the school again today and am now gonna lay around for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Richzx6r said:

That looks insane id love to live there for that kinda snowfall 

18 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep me too. For a week or so when it suited me then I’d just wanna ride my bike in the sun. Forecast down here looks tolerable for a couple of days, I may have some essential tasks saved up and needing to be done ?

It's so cool - even though we got over 40 inches of snow, probably 1/3 of it has already melted away and the rest will be gone by the weekend. The Sun is so bright and the humidity levels are so low that it just disappears pretty quickly. Out on the bikes in no time.

• Like 4