a bit dicy out

MooN

DSC04391.thumb.JPG.9dde50fec7d73cead6f7bc269b00a8f7.JPG

:dancebanana::dancebanana::thud:    well I thought it was funny...

a couple of other shots from 150km this afternoon dodging some nasty storm cells that were wandering around the area

2130532702_DSC04396(2).thumb.JPG.19136ecfe24eb0c8e6ab109caabff2d0.JPG

this was a biggie, mouving south east and starting to generate it's own wnd patterns in front of it, exactly where I was when I took this shot...ooops... and this was as close as I wanted to get. Don't get me wrong, these are not tropical storms and there's no rotation or other tornado like phenomena but they do generate locally storm force winds and dump huge amounts of water so you really don't want to be in one on a bike. 

1291792047_DSC04398(3).thumb.JPG.9681172509098761e62b77d02fbcfca8.JPG

68604910_DSC04399(2).thumb.JPG.349633feea9531eb457913dd226ce8dd.JPG

Having stopped for the pic right in the path of it I then legged it, unfortunately home was also right in it's path and I got a bit wet in the last 5km as the leading edge caught up with me. I managed to get in the house about 5 minutes befre it really let loose and boy did it dump some water. For about 10 minutes, the water was standing about 2 inches deep in the yard and you couldn't see across the road.  Short lived but intense is how I would describe it. I've just now ( hours later) been out to put the bin out and there's a lot of branches and stuff all over the road and a tree down a bit further along, so it looks like I did right to run away.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MooN said:

Don't get me wrong, these are not tropical storms and there's no rotation or other tornado like phenomena but they do generate locally storm force winds and dump huge amounts of water so you really don't want to be in one on a bike. 

Specially not on a dirt road with those tires you don't.

How long is that road? It's so lovely it should go for miles and miles.

3 minutes ago, MooN said:

DSC04391.thumb.JPG.9dde50fec7d73cead6f7bc269b00a8f7.JPG

:dancebanana::dancebanana::thud:    well I thought it was funny...

a couple of other shots from 150km this afternoon dodging some nasty storm cells that were wandering around the area

2130532702_DSC04396(2).thumb.JPG.19136ecfe24eb0c8e6ab109caabff2d0.JPG

this was a biggie, mouving south east and starting to generate it's own wnd patterns in front of it, exactly where I was when I took this shot...ooops... and this was as close as I wanted to get. Don't get me wrong, these are not tropical storms and there's no rotation or other tornado like phenomena but they do generate locally storm force winds and dump huge amounts of water so you really don't want to be in one on a bike. 

1291792047_DSC04398(3).thumb.JPG.9681172509098761e62b77d02fbcfca8.JPG

68604910_DSC04399(2).thumb.JPG.349633feea9531eb457913dd226ce8dd.JPG

Having stopped for the pic right in the path of it I then legged it, unfortunately home was also right in it's path and I got a bit wet in the last 5km as the leading edge caught up with me. I managed to get in the house about 5 minutes befre it really let loose and boy did it dump some water. For about 10 minutes, the water was standing about 2 inches deep in the yard and you couldn't see across the road.  Short lived but intense is how I would describe it. I've just now ( hours later) been out to put the bin out and there's a lot of branches and stuff all over the road and a tree down a bit further along, so it looks like I did right to run away.

That's scary shit! I'd have stayed in the house!

What tyres are they Chris?

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

How long is that road? It's so lovely it should go for miles and miles.

it probably goes on for miles. this was facing south but it started turning back towards the East a bit further along, across the front of the coming storm, so I turned off it onto a more southerly route.

23 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What tyres are they Chris?

pirelli scorpion trail II Pete, they're as good as the Michelin anakees on the road, if not better, and fine on dirt or gravel so long as it's dry, at least for my skill level. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MooN said:

pirelli scorpion trail II Pete, they're as good as the Michelin anakees on the road, if not better, and fine on dirt or gravel so long as it's dry, at least for my skill level. 

I've never really rated Anakees that much Chris.

I always found the back wheel used to slip with them.

On 14/03/2021 at 20:01, XTreme said:

I've never really rated Anakees that much Chris.

I always found the back wheel used to slip with them.

I liked tham on the transalp, never noticed any untoward slipping, but did have a front one that had a fabrication defect. I gave up using them when it became impossible to buy any, then Michelin announced they were closing down a couple of plants with the loss of 5000 jobs in the same week they announced global profits of millions of euros... fuck 'em.  tried others and I like these ok. and some dunlops trailmax I had on the tralp as well. Like I say, at MY skill level, I don't really think the tyres make much difference, I'm not exactly pushing their performance envelope...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MooN said:

I liked tham on the transalp, never noticed any untoward slipping, but did have a front one that had a fabrication defect. I gave up using them when it became impossible to buy any, then Michelin announced they were closing down a couple of plants with the loss of 5000 jobs in the same week they announced global profits of millions of euros... fuck 'em.  tried others and I like these ok. and some dunlops trailmax I had on the tralp as well. Like I say, at MY skill level, I don't really think the tyres make much difference, I'm not exactly pushing their performance envelope...

Back wheel was slipping on tarmac for me Chris!

I don't like those Pirellis, they're what I currently have on my bike and I won't put them back on. As soon as they're gone I'm going back to TKC70 or something more dirt worthy depending on the proximity to a Morocco trip.

The Pirellis just don't give me any confidence. It feels like I am catching oil every time I'm diving into a corner exiting a motorway, or similar. They're ok once leaned but the transition isn't nice. Maybe the shape of them is just too aggressive for me, but regardless of why it is I don't like them.

I was runninag anakees when i got put in that wheelchair, just saying. And wearing street boots too. plus while on a KLR off road...ugh a threesome of fuckups. :thud:

• Haha 2