Nature Quest - Share Your Best Nature Photographs

Grasshopper

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is that park as empty as it looks?

People naturally stay about 500 feet away from Yen due to the stench from his underkaks.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is that park as empty as it looks?

It was today, that is how it is usually. Last few months it was rammed though with lockdowners, but back to normal now.

I found a whole new park today that I had never seen before, in my own town, walked past the small gate lots of times over the last 20 years and only noticed the small sign today for the first time. Walked through the little gate into a paradise of peace and quiet with some winos sitting under a thatch roof band stand in the centre, even they were chirpy and wished me a good afternoon. They have a......'stumpery'! I'll take a camera next time I'm out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

From what I’ve gleaned so far he’s a smelly murderer who pours concrete into peoples basements. Jus wondering if anyones checks for bodies being he starts pouring?

Some of my colleagues have found plague victims. The last batch was multiple hundreds of people at the Royal Mint site and all work had to stop whilst the archaeologists go and do their stuff. This is the first batch below, my colleagues found more in 2003ish

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/collections/other-collection-databases-and-libraries/centre-human-bioarchaeology/osteological-database/medieval-cemeteries/east-smithfield-black-death-medieval

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yen_powell said:

It was today, that is how it is usually. Last few months it was rammed though with lockdowners, but back to normal now.

I found a whole new park today that I had never seen before, in my own town, walked past the small gate lots of times over the last 20 years and only noticed the small sign today for the first time. Walked through the little gate into a paradise of peace and quiet with some winos sitting under a thatch roof band stand in the centre, even they were chirpy and wished me a good afternoon. They have a......'stumpery'! I'll take a camera next time I'm out.

Its so weird how you can live somewhere and pass something frequently without seeing it and then one day for no particular reason it catches your eye.

What’s a stumpery?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Some of my colleagues have found plague victims. The last batch was multiple hundreds of people at the Royal Mint site and all work had to stop whilst the archaeologists go and do their stuff. This is the first batch below, my colleagues found more in 2003ish

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/collections/other-collection-databases-and-libraries/centre-human-bioarchaeology/osteological-database/medieval-cemeteries/east-smithfield-black-death-medieval

Interesting how many more men than women died (or at least were in the pit).

43 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Interesting how many more men than women died (or at least were in the pit).

They refused to go to the doctors.

Stumpery? Well it was just a label next to a lot of tree stumps all piled about higgledy piggledy, I think for what eventually grows on them, usually ferns and flowery things I reckon.

Wikipedia says

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stumpery

• Haha 1

They probably did. Mind you paying for a pint of leaches and other quackery you’d rather take your chances! 

Sophisticated winos, didn’t know they existed, then again round here a wino is sophisticated, they prefer 2l of strongbow ?

21 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The promised sunshine was far from sight for the entire tea run but the very tame wild ponies made up for it

2065F3F8-5B30-4AD9-BD8D-9C0F69FD5903.jpeg

A9792F16-46A8-4DDD-93CE-A439C0958214.jpeg

381624F9-E3D6-4FAA-8235-286DCE0A52FF.jpeg

Beautiful coats on them!

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They are in very good condition. If you didnt know theyre wild you’d think they were well loved and looked after.

Thick Winter coats too!

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The promised sunshine was far from sight for the entire tea run but the very tame wild ponies made up for it

2065F3F8-5B30-4AD9-BD8D-9C0F69FD5903.jpeg

A9792F16-46A8-4DDD-93CE-A439C0958214.jpeg

381624F9-E3D6-4FAA-8235-286DCE0A52FF.jpeg

So cool, they look soft.  

I grew up a farm and had a pony as a kid, so much fun. ?

• Like 1

A few kms from where my parents live there's this residential area where I suspect someone released a pair of some sort of tropical bird.  A cockatoo of sorts or similar, they must have taken to the place and now there are a lot of them around, it's a crappy picture but it's there. Sounds like a rainforest sometimes :classic_laugh:

IMG_0648.thumb.jpeg.ec9c230ca5ce2b82ad0ccc3e0cf1dfea.jpeg

IMG_0649.thumb.jpeg.4fc7da2317e25c7a16cf9b313621db6a.jpeg

• Like 6