My argan tree

Pedro

1 hour ago, Clive said:

I’ve had to have a rethink as I somehow conveniently glossed over the bit where I’m not going to be here to look after them. 

Am ordering some hardy herbs (that can survive neglect) that I use a lot of in the kitchen. I resent paying stupid money for those little packets of poor quality supermarket herbs so that should satisfy the green fingers, my wallet and my palate 😊 

• Like 1

Well Pedro you’ve gone n started something now. You and Clive have made me (yes made me) go and buy a load of herbs and I don’t know what I’m doing so shortly you could have a lot of plant death on your hands 😆

Went with-

Thymus 'Archer's Gold'

Thyme

Sage

Coriander

Mint

Parsley (Flat leaved)

Chives

Oregano

Wasabi Rocket

Dill

Tarragon

and two edible flowers for prettier dishes - 

Cornflower

Geranium called Splish splash.

Some are seeds some are litre pots ready for planting. As I’m well known for killing plants and it’s slug n snail heaven round here I’m not optimistic but you never know they say they’re hardy but will they be hard enough?!

• Like 2

We had a Lavender Bush in our front garden, but that had to go as it was a snail hotel. 🐌 🐌 

I planted a Cherry tree, that is doing well, and Acer (Japanese maple) this does not seem to be flourishing, hardly grown in the past few years.

Found a tree/shrub on our walk around the park last week, I do not know what it is, but its (at the moment) leaves are red and orange, took a cutting to see if it will grow..

• Like 1

And we have a huge Peony on our front garden (no photos) which we dug up out of sis in laws garden when she moved house, in her garden it was red, in ours it has turned pink. 😕 

• Like 1

Over the last couple of days the little seeds started really shooting out a proper root, and suddenly becoming sort of greenish in places, so today they went on vases. Tenderly placed on non compacted fresh black soil just below the surface, around 1cm. 

IMG_9523.thumb.jpeg.5f63388a265eb241dc88123bd51089bb.jpeg

IMG_9524.thumb.jpeg.b9dda03e324537bb10f15e1560e55ce4.jpeg

IMG_9525.thumb.jpeg.148e5b4b4961e7ffb2f2d366d0501676.jpeg

Am very curious as to if they make it.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Over the last couple of days the little seeds started really shooting out a proper root, and suddenly becoming sort of greenish in places, so today they went on vases. Tenderly placed on non compacted fresh black soil just below the surface, around 1cm. 

Next week

steve martin GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

So am I.

Surely now it’s clingfilm time?

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

What’s your fixation with cling film? Don’t plants need air?

Every time we (the UK) germinate plant seeds it seems to involve some type of top like a clear carton lid or bit of clingfilm, it’s a mini poly tunnel effect. I don’t know why, I think it’s supposed to help control temperature fluctuations and promote growth 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Every time we (the UK) germinate plant seeds it seems to involve some type of top like a clear carton lid or bit of clingfilm, it’s a mini poly tunnel effect. I don’t know why, I think it’s supposed to help control temperature fluctuations and promote growth 🤷‍♀️

They are germinating now, I’ll just keep them moist and hope they break out from the dirt in a few days.

• Like 3

On 15/01/2023 at 15:38, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well Pedro you’ve gone n started something now. You and Clive have made me (yes made me) go and buy a load of herbs and I don’t know what I’m doing so shortly you could have a lot of plant death on your hands 😆

Went with-

Thymus 'Archer's Gold'

Thyme

Sage

Coriander

Mint

Parsley (Flat leaved)

Chives

Oregano

Wasabi Rocket

Dill

Tarragon

and two edible flowers for prettier dishes - 

Cornflower

Geranium called Splish splash.

Some are seeds some are litre pots ready for planting. As I’m well known for killing plants and it’s slug n snail heaven round here I’m not optimistic but you never know they say they’re hardy but will they be hard enough?!

Don't plant mint in your garden.  keep it in a pot and if flowers appear. cut them off fast.  you definitely do not want them producing seed as they grow like weeds and will take over your garden in a year or so. popping up hither and yon. here there and everywhere. mintageddon is really a thing. even if its not a word.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Motobiker said:

Don't plant mint in your garden.  keep it in a pot and if flowers appear. cut them off fast.  you definitely do not want them producing seed as they grow like weeds and will take over your garden in a year or so. popping up hither and yon. here there and everywhere. mintageddon is really a thing. even if its not a word.

Good to see you Tony!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motobiker said:

Good to hear from you 😊

Well yes I was unwittingly heading for mintageddon so thanks for the warning! I had heard they spread like weeds but thought if that was the case everyone’s garden would smell of mint 😂

I guess the pot is  just to stop the roots spreading? If so could you bury said pot? Or would the roots eventually go out of the drainage holes and wreak havoc anyway? 

Still enjoying your Africa Twin?

• Like 1

Last years.. and it went well. this year: south of France/route des grande Alpes/ligurian alps/Lake Garda/Dolomites. countdown is underway 149 days.

and this has nothing to do with Argan propagation. apologies.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Good to hear from you 😊

Well yes I was unwittingly heading for mintageddon so thanks for the warning! I had heard they spread like weeds but thought if that was the case everyone’s garden would smell of mint 😂

I guess the pot is  just to stop the roots spreading? If so could you bury said pot? Or would the roots eventually go out of the drainage holes and wreak havoc anyway? 

Still enjoying your Africa Twin?

You can bury it in the pot to stop it spreading. Although I accept no responsibility if mintaggedon ensues! 😉😂😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Last years.. and it went well. this year: south of France/route des grande Alpes/ligurian alps/Lake Garda/Dolomites. countdown is underway 149 days.

and this has nothing to do with Argan propagation. apologies.

Oh theres no such thing as staying on topic here. When someone finally brings it back you think oh yes I remember now 😆

Sounds lovely. I'm off to the French alps next week for a bit of skiing and then back on there on the bike end April beginning May. 

Well I would be going skiing but I got my ski gear down today and my jackets missing and "no gear n no idea" is definitely worse than "all the gear no idea" 🥶😂

Any chance you've got some pics to share from last year? On a new ride section thread of course, just in case Pedro ever wants to enjoy his thread again?

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Cheers. I think thats what I'll do. 

8 minutes ago, Tango said:

You can bury it in the pot to stop it spreading. Although I accept no responsibility if mintaggedon ensues! 😉😂😂

he's right, it is the roots. not sure why I was thinking of seeds. ho hum. anyway this looks like good advice to add to that.

Why does mint spread so fast?

Mint spreads easily because of its resilient rhizomes. A rhizome is a large stem which grows underneath the ground and which propagates lateral shoots (Ivany, 1997). In other words, mint has a strong root system which spreads underground, facilitating its rapid growth.

The best way to control mint is to limit the spread of the plant's roots by planting it first in a pot, then sinking the pot into the ground or into the soil within a larger container. Every few weeks, give the pot a quarter turn to keep the roots from escaping through the drainage holes.

• Like 2