Durango, CO - Moab, Utah Sept 16, 2020

Earache

16 minutes ago, Earache said:

Dark as I wanna get - I find those old towns kinda spooky and eerie....like I'm walking through someone else's home and I really shouldn't be there. Folks had it tough back then. Not just the climate either, had to be hard working up there.

I did about 475 miles yesterday and will do about 400 today. Headed back home on Friday and that'll be about 400 as well. So not a big, long trip. Just wanted to get out one last time for the season and ride a few of my favorite roads before packing it all away for the winter.

You're gonna be climbing up the walls when your season ends Eric. But I expect you're used to it by now!

But at least you'll be able to keep seeing pics of @Pedro's disgusting food! :classic_wacko:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Earache said:

Made into my swanky hotel about 12 hours after I left home today. A nice day's ride. Missed dinner tonight as no delivery of anything out here and I don't wanna get on the bike to find something.  Will eat tomorrow. Sorry @Pedro, no food pics today.

I value a tasty dinner and some nice wine after a ride, more so if it's after 12 hours like you just did, but getting on the bike to go eat kinds of ruins things for me too. 

Loved those twisty roads you did in the morning, and the dirtroads looked very nice too. Amazing views, and as always a top notch report. 

There is a hinge on that inside toilet, so they probably had a cover, very fancy!

• Like 1

Up and outta Durango early, but stopped by the train yard located in the city center. This train does the 50 miles loop to Silverton and back. Clsoed, but took some pics over the fence...

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

• Like 5

Rode through Telluride, but it was beyond crowded with tourists, didn't take a single picture. Did stop outside of town at the abandoned gold mine there - place was huge! Looks to be from the 1920's or so...

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

• Like 4

And on to Gateway - the real reason I wanted to head over to this part of the state in the first place. Desert road with bends, drop offs and walls. There are a few cars at the bottom of the cliff, just below the turn of the road - hard to see the bends at night...

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Made it to the Marriott in Grand Junction for the night. Currently waiting on the Sun to come up so I can head to Moab and then home today. Gonna be a long ride today -500+ miles - but some good pics to come.

IMG_4214.JPG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Amazing shots Eric......is that some sort of retro or vintage train?

They were used to haul the mail and supplies to remote mining towns that had few roads to them, but had tracks from mining operations. Most of these places still don't have paved roads - just dirt / rock roads. But they're mostly empty and no one goes there anyway.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

What a fantastic ride report and the photos of the scenery is spectacular.

This shot is a bit spooky for me.........

IMG_3954.thumb.JPG.c0e5713bc0e141e6304e2983dff0ccd4.JPG.746956f87854b062cbd0c53f6457acfb.JPG

I don't know if we had some sort of telepathic thing going on but yesterday I took this photo ?

IMG_7315.thumb.JPEG.fcafcacf8fbbdac3c91da6b45e31e2f5.JPEG

• Like 4