Durango, CO - Moab, Utah Sept 16, 2020

Earache

Up and outta the house at 0630 today to start the ride as today was gonna be along one. Shame it was 37F / 2-1/2C at 6;30. Freakin' freezin' when you're doing 85 mph on the highway for the first 3 hours. I didn';t take a single pic as it was too cold to stop. But once I got near Sapinero, CO, it warmed up a bit.

This part of Colorado looks a bit different from my area...

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

• Like 4

Awhile later , I came upon an crash that had just happened. Dunno what happened but one adult was trapped in the side by side, one got out and three kids all had head trauma and bloody heads. No helmets on any of them. It looked like it fell from above or rolled a few times - not sure which. Side by side was fucked up!

I raced down the hill as fast as I could and luckily found a Sheriff's Deputy and sent him up the hill to help. Hope they're doing okay....

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

• Like 3

Made into my swanky hotel about 12 hours after I left home today. A nice day's ride. Missed dinner tonight as no delivery of anything out here and I don't wanna get on the bike to find something.  Will eat tomorrow. Sorry @Pedro, no food pics today.

Tomorrow will be Gateway, Telluride and Grand Junction, followed by Moab on Friday.

IMG_4071.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lone Amigo said:

I used to haunt all those places on The HunK -- my 'BMW K100.
I always preferred to stay at the Best Western in Ouray because I like their little hot springs pool.
Thanks for the report. Excellent pics.

Maybe some day we can do a meet-up.

Let me know next time you're headed north and I'll try to come down this way. We go to Santa Fe a lot as well - usually around Xmas.

Have stayed a few times at the Beaumont in Ouray and also the Ouray Chalet Inn a lot. Did the Best Western once a few years ago. The wife works for Marriott so I get free rooms - or nearly free - so I tend to stay there as much as I can when on solo trips. Can't beat free.

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Superb Eric.......and there's even some Dark Motorcycling in there too!

Those mining ruins look pretty unusual too.

What sort of mileage are you going to be doing in total?

Dark as I wanna get - I find those old towns kinda spooky and eerie....like I'm walking through someone else's home and I really shouldn't be there. Folks had it tough back then. Not just the climate either, had to be hard working up there.

I did about 475 miles yesterday and will do about 400 today. Headed back home on Friday and that'll be about 400 as well. So not a big, long trip. Just wanted to get out one last time for the season and ride a few of my favorite roads before packing it all away for the winter.

• Like 2