Smoke and Dirt Ride - Aug 21 , 2020

Earache

But the dirt (ok, they're more rock roads than dirt) roads were empty and I had a good time railing alon g, sliding the corners etc. Not a lot of run off room if you get it wrong though...

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

• Like 5

All of those yellow dirt piles in the hills are mine locations. The dirt is the tailings from the mine. Lots of open shafts in the area making it pretty dangerous to just walking around...

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Brilliant! And that was a gold mining area @Earache?

Did they find any?

The whole county that I live in was a gold mining region. Quite a bit was mined and is still being mined by modern facilities in the area. I've never seen any in the wild though?

edit: Apparently it was $85 million worth. See: https://westernmininghistory.com/articles/63/page2/

• Like 1

In case the above link isn't available you damned foreigners, here's a copy and paste:

CENTRAL CITY DISTRICT
The Central City district is along the southern border of Gilpin County in the vicinity of the towns of Central City and Blackhawk. This district is the northern segment of the rich chain of ore deposits between Central City and Idaho Springs.

Both the mining history and geological setting of Idaho Springs and Central City are so entwined that they are considered an entity and are discussed together in the Clear Creek County section of this report (p. 96).

The production of the Central City district rightfully belongs under the Gilpin County heading. The district is credited with 95 to 99 percent of the $84,114,389 worth of gold mined in the county through 1923 (P. K. Sims, oral commun, 1959). Total gold production through 1959 was about 4,200,000 ounces; all but about 30,000 ounces was from lode mines.

NORTHERN GILPIN DISTRICT
The Northern Gilpin district lies north of North Clear Creek in the central part of the county and extends north to the Boulder County line. The most important mines are just south of Apex and in the vicinity of Gilpin.

Gold was first discovered in the district in June 1859 in Gamble Gulch in the Perigo area, and lodes in both the Dirt and Perigo mines were discovered in 1860 (Bastin and Hill, 1917, p. 68, 197-198). Some of the ore was very rich near the surface, and within a short time 10 or 12 stamp mills were operating (Henderson, 1926, p. 31). However, the rich and easily worked ore was soon exhausted and in 1867 only four or five companies were still operating in the district. After 1868 the camp was almost deserted until 1879 when the Perigo mine again became active and continued activity at least until 1888. The district was revived briefly during the 1930's, but from 1943 through 1959 very little activity was reported.

There was some placer mining near Rollinsville in 1897 (Henderson, 1926, p. 31). Many of the gulches in the district have placer ground, but production was small until 1937-39, when dredging operations along South Boulder Creek recovered 7,724 ounces of gold.

Though the early production is unknown, it was probably small, and the total amount of gold mined in the district through 1959 was probably 35,000 ounces.

The bedrock of the district is a complex of Pre-cambrian rocks, comprising schist of the Idaho Springs Formation and quartz monzonite gneiss, cut by Boulder Creek Granite and by quartz diorite. The Precambrian rocks are intruded by irregular stocks and dikes of quartz monzonite porphyry and dikes of bostonite porphyry of Tertiary age.

The ore deposits are pyritic gold veins in fractures, most of which trend northeast; a few strike west or northwest. The primary ores are in general low grade and contain less than half an ounce of gold and 1 ounce or less of silver to the ton, but some veins have higher grade ore in the supergene-enriched upper parts. Many of the deposits are discontinuous lodes along shear zones that carry pyrite disseminated through several feet of sheared rock; however, fissure fillings are more abundant. Besides pyrite the ore contains variable amounts of chalcopyrite and locally, some galena and sphalerite. Quartz is the common gangue mineral in the veins (Lovering and Goddard, 1950, p. 193-194).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tym said:

Your pics leave me speechless. :littleguy:

Drag that KLR out here and we'll go do some exploring on the dirt roads. One of my favorite kind of rides!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

We're allowed to see those pages!

Really weird that others are blocked........this never happened prior to the last couple of years.

It is kinda odd why you're blocked from seeing so many pages - dunno why.

50 minutes ago, Earache said:

Drag that KLR out here and we'll go do some exploring on the dirt roads. One of my favorite kind of rides!

I have been thinking lately whenever my blood pressure is about 78/45  that my GTR is strong enough to tow my KLR...

in addition i hope my PA gets my BP meds straight by the next visit, what week is this again...?

The topic is getting old right? Well, i mean not your topic...ummm

I hate when this happens.

:classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

Questions:

- What tires are those, they look funky and asymmetric

- Have you ridden a modern R12000GS and how does it compare to the Super Tenere in that kind of surface

- Fucking great area to be riding on!

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

Questions:

- What tires are those, they look funky and asymmetric

- Have you ridden a modern R12000GS and how does it compare to the Super Tenere in that kind of surface

- Fucking great area to be riding on!

Answers:

1) The tires are the Dunlop Trailmax Missions - the rear I like as it lasts a long time, not so sure about the front. It wanders, loud noises and I've skidded it a couple of times on  the street while doing moderate braking. My guess is that in a panic stop, it's not going to do well.

2) R1200GS - yes, have ridden them. The Tenere seems to handle better although it weighs more. I'm a bigger guy so the weight doesn't bother me too much. GS' range on fuel seems to be better as well.

3) Our area doesn't suck! Wish the riding season was longer, but it's great when we can get out.

I see a lot of people up to their belly pans in mud or stuck in ruts on these big adventure bikes and saying their using it for what it was made for, well i consider that bullshit what you @Earache are riding is what these bikes were made for i wish we had more of it here so i could use mine. what we have a lot of is more suited to a smaller bike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I see a lot of people up to their belly pans in mud or stuck in ruts on these big adventure bikes and saying their using it for what it was made for, well i consider that bullshit what you are riding is what these bikes were made for i wish we had more of it here so i could use mine. what we have a lot of is more suited to a smaller bike.

Brand new 20 grand bike,  dump it in a fucking swamp, then post the pic on ButtRider to demonstrate how hardcore you are!

1083921599_giphy(2).gif.351ff276c796f1bb47f96ebd5c752ad6.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I see a lot of people up to their belly pans in mud or stuck in ruts on these big adventure bikes and saying their using it for what it was made for, well i consider that bullshit what you @Earache are riding is what these bikes were made for i wish we had more of it here so i could use mine. what we have a lot of is more suited to a smaller bike.

I'd agree with you and Pete - taking an overweight pig of a expensive bike into a swamp makes no sense at all. They're good for pavement and dirt roads and that's about it. A fuckin' chore to take them anywhere else.

And what's riding them while standing on the pegs for no reason like it's a dirt bike? Feckin' wankers.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Earache said:

I'd agree with you and Pete - taking an overweight pig of a expensive bike into a swamp makes no sense at all. They're good for pavement and dirt roads and that's about it. A fuckin' chore to take them anywhere else.

And what's riding them while standing on the pegs for no reason like it's a dirt bike? Feckin' wankers.

That's why I rarely post on Buttrider even though I've been a member since 2004.

There's some great ride reports on there, and some really good guys.......but unfortunately it's become overrun with attention-seeking fuckheads over the years.

• Like 2